Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying ring in UK - Customs charge?

• 30-11-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

If I buy an engagement ring for my GF in the UK as I want to go over and see it etc. and then bring it back to Ireland - do I in theory have to pay customs + excise if it's within the EU? It would be a fly over and back same day kinda thing? It's not that it's cheaper over there, it's just one that she wants.

Post edited by Faith on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davidod1234

PS I mean Irish customs + excise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Nope, goods/ring are in Free Circulation, you will have paid the VAT in the UK and will not be liable for any duties, etc on return to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davidod1234

Nope, goods/ring are in Free Circulation, you will have paid the VAT in the UK and will not be liable for any duties, etc on return to Ireland.

That's great to hear! Thank you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Talking about customs charges I bought fabric online from america and I am hoping there will be no other charges as i already paid shipping. Would anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

lulu1 wrote: »
    Talking about customs charges I bought fabric online from america and I am hoping there will be no other charges as i already paid shipping. Would anyone know?

Shipping doesn't include customs usually. How much did the fabric cost? You will probably have to pay the VAT at least.

• Advertisement

Depends on the value of the fabric Lulu and if duty applies on arrival in Ireland.

Depends on the value of the fabric Lulu and if duty applies on arrival in Ireland.

The fabric and the shipping came to around 60 dollars that worked out at around 51 euro If I have to pay vat who to and where would I have to pay it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If they get stopped then it depends on who's the courier. If An post are delivering it, then 23% of the total cost, including item cost,shipping & insurance. Then add €7 for An Post handling fee.

If a courier then 23% of the total cost, including item cost,shipping & insurance. Then add €10 - €15 for handling fee for the likes of DHL, Fedex

Yawns wrote: »
    If they get stopped then it depends on who's the courier. If An post are delivering it, then 23% of the total cost, including item cost,shipping & insurance. Then add €7 for An Post handling fee.

If a courier then 23% of the total cost, including item cost,shipping & insurance. Then add €10 - €15 for handling fee for the likes of DHL, Fedex

I havent a clue who would be delivering it but I think prob an post I am raging now hardly the bargain i thought it would be if there is an extra charge. Although to be fair the website did say there could be custom charges :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lulu1 wrote: »
    I havent a clue who would be delivering it but I think prob an post I am raging now hardly the bargain i thought it would be if there is an extra charge. Although to be fair the website did say there could be custom charges :mad:

Standard practice for items from the U.S.
    I've been hit with customs on about 50% of items bought from the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Is this from any country?

lazeedaisy wrote: »

Only Euro zone countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lazeedaisy wrote: »

All countries in the EU :)

What I have noticed though is some websites (eg amazon) will change the vat rate to the irish rate

Received my parcel today. Value of contents was 51euro. Delivered by courier Had to pay just over 11euro customs charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Long time since any posts here, hope somebody is still reading the stuff. here's the question.......If I go on a fishing trip to the UK and bring all my (expensive) rods/reels/lures etc with me what happens when I get off the ferry back in Dublin and am stopped by Mr. Customs and wants to charge me import duty/vat and whatever on my own property. Do I need to declare beforehand that I am exporting all my fishing gear to the UK and am now importing back into Ireland. I have searched the Rev.com website and cannot find anything explaining my situation. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sorry @Glencarraig, I think you got a bit lost when searching because this thread is about engagement rings. We have no knowledge about fishing gear and you should start a new thread in a relevant forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement