Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motor 'no claims protection' problem

Options
  • 30-11-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Had my car stolen back a few months ago,insurance company paid out after the initial delay period of so many days , so no problem there.I assumed my 'no claims' were protected as I always insist on having this.The insurance company said that 'NO',my no claims were not protected! To cut a long story short I got my renewal the other day and lo and behold my 'no claims' protection is down to 2 yrs,(it was over 10+).....to make matters worse they quoted me for the car that was stolen and was never recovered!!! I feel that I am being punished,I did not steal the car,I ran the query by another broker and she thought it was rather strange that I should be treated this way.Unfortunately my insurance was set up through a broker called (to save them embarrassment I will not name them YET let us just say its another name for being a bit on the cool side,weather wise!!.Very unprofessional they seem to be,you would not mind but they went and charged me for the replacement car on the insurance......and yet sent me a quote for the stolen car,what sort of gobsh*tes are these people.Can the Insurance Federation sort them out or will I have to give Joe a call

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why is it unfair that when you make a claim you are punished ?

That's what insurance is for to cover against amongst other things theft of the vehicle.

As for your no claims if you didn't bother reading your insurance documentation to see and understand what cover you had that's your fault not the insurers.

and your no claims what not over 10 years plus as no claims peak at 5 years. You really need to understand your insurance before ranting about how unfair a straight forward thing like this is dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

Are you sure you didn't receive Step Back No Claims Bonus Protection? Because that is exactly what has happened to your No Claims Bonus following the claim. Full No Claims Bonus Protection is different again.

In what way is it unfair? Your car was stolen and without insurance you would have received no form of compensation but because you did your insurers followed the proper guidelines and you were suitably reimbursed.

Ok the fact that your renewal was issued on the previous vehicle is a bit off - but did you check the No Claims Bonus? I assume that had the correct registration of the vehicle you replaced it with. The broker may have just forgot to change their screen as an oversight and their renewal letter just noted the incorrect vehicle. Can be changed in a matter of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The words 'assumed' and 'insurance' should never be used together

Advertisement