Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaced my PS3 laser with one from another ps3 and...

Options
  • 30-11-2014 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

One PS3 with YLOD (would turn off after a few seconds) so I got hold of another which worked okay apart from the disc drive.

So I took the BR drive from the first one and put it into the second (removed the ribbon from the machine rather than from the actual drive each time).

Anyway, it sucks in discs fine, the blu light comes on, it is clearly spinning etc but no game disc icon appears on the XMB - I can only assume its the way the ribbon was reattached? Tried once more to allign properly but to no avail.

Could it be anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The blu ray drive is paired with your specific motherboard, swapping a complete donor drive in won't work. You need to swap the actual laser component (if compatible), or swap the logic boards (if compatible)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Myrddin wrote: »
    The blu ray drive is paired with your specific motherboard, swapping a complete donor drive in won't work. You need to swap the actual laser component (if compatible), or swap the logic boards (if compatible)

Oh..

Okay, well they are both 80GB PS3s and look the same inside (although the CECH is ever so slightly differentt).

Which is easier to swap, the logic board or the actual laser component?

Saw videos online of people, swapping in entire donor drivers so sadly thought worked.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

noodler wrote: »
    Oh..

Okay, well they are both 80GB PS3s and look the same inside (although the CECH is ever so slightly differentt).

Which is easier to swap, the logic board or the actual laser component?

Saw videos online of people, swapping in entire donor drivers so sadly thought worked.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Logic boards swap is easer and faster than lasers.

budman9 wrote: »
    Logic boards swap is easer and faster than lasers.

Thanks alot.

I will google that and check out a video unless someone can reccommend one.

EDIT: If the CECH is ever so slightly different - does this mean the logic boards can't be swapped? And that switching the laser parts is my only option?

Thanks alot.

EDIT: If the CECH is ever so slightly different - does this mean the logic boards can't be swapped? And that switching the laser parts is my only option?

Myrddin wrote: »

Scratch that, reading Myrddin's post again - it is clear I need to check if the laser or logic boards are the same as the CECH is slightly different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Scratch that, reading Myrddin's post again - it is clear I need to check if the laser or logic boards are the same as the CECH is slightly different.

I'm not fully up to scratch on PS3 stuff, so just double check what I said. I do know there are different types of lasers alright, but have no idea what the story is when swapping logic boards (ie if the drive itself needs to match, ala the 360)

Thanks alot.

What models do you have?

What models do you have?

CECHM03

CECHK03

CECHM03

CECHK03
    Good. Just put logic board from broken drive to working one and will be fine.

Good. Just put logic board from broken drive to working one and will be fine.

Thanks, quick Google on model numbers was inconclusive from me. Do you mind linking me to where it says they share the same logic board?

Will Google a few videos before I take a cracking at it.

Thanks for the help again.

• Advertisement

You don't need same logic board. You need same drive.

You don't need same logic board. You need same drive.

OK so take logic board from ps3 A with broken BRDD, attach it to the working drive from ps3 B and then stick into PS3 A.

I'd be wasteing your time asking any more questions perhaps until I research it a bit.

OK so take logic board from ps3 A with broken BRDD, attach it to the working drive from ps3 B and then stick into PS3 A.

I'd be wasteing your time asking any more questions perhaps until I research it a bit.
    Correct.
    No problem, you can ask.

Correct.
    No problem, you can ask.

Found what looks like a good video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBAqaPQFXWU

The little wire is gonna be tricky as hell.

Found what looks like a good video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBAqaPQFXWU

The little wire is gonna be tricky as hell.
    Here is the drive from CECHA - CECHG models. In your drive, logic board is under bottom cover.

Here is the drive from CECHA - CECHG models. In your drive, logic board is under bottom cover.

It worked!

Thanks for all the help. Although now I have a spare ps3 with YLOD and a broken blu Ray drive!

Advertisement