Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cex trade in

Options
  • 01-12-2014 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I am looking to trade in a few games and CeX appear to offer the best value. For example they offer 31 quid for Destiny. If I post them the game is it likely that the value will have dropped by the time they get the game?

My nearest store is Tralee which would be a 30 minute drive which I can't do right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Am expecting for the more legal-minded folk to correct me, but I'd have thought they'd be bound to honour the trade-in price. By going through the system in which you click on "I want to sell", you're both entering an agreement on a set price subject to the condition of the item in question.

Basically, I don't think a trade-in price drop will affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

According to their T&Cs:
    Your goods must be received by CeX America at the designated location within five [5] working days of your order being placed. Quoted prices may vary or orders may be cancelled if goods are not received within this period.

Says America but I'd imagine it's the same deal here, contact them to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Kerrybai wrote: »
    If I post them the game is it likely that the value will have dropped by the time they get the game?

Well if you use An Post etc it should be within 48 hours....

If you use Carrier Pigeons who you've trained to deliver the message by flag semaphore than you could indeed face a delay

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Kerrybai

Cheers guys. Just contacted them and it is indeed within 5 days so unless the An Post lose it then it shouldn't be an issue.

The prices they offer are pretty great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

An Post rarely lose anything. Say what you want about Ireland + Politics + Public Servants etc, An Post are on the ball. I use them lots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What will it cost you to post all your games in. Don't forget to make sure all your games are in their boxes.

What will it cost you to post all your games in. Don't forget to make sure all your games are in their boxes.

Looks like it will be 7 quid to post them in an an post 'packet.' Not too bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

I've used Cex to sell electronics & games a few times and maybe it's just me but i've noticed a big difference between the in-store prices and what you are actually offered in store.

Bare in mind the games & stuff i sold was in fully working condition so there was no reason to deduct money.

For example the Cex in Blanchardstown gave me €4 for a sims game that was listed as €10 on their website. I know i didn't have to sell for that price but there was a big que behind me and i didn't wanna kick up a fuss & wanted rid asap so i agreed to sell.

Just wondering If i had shown them the cex.ie webpage with the game for €10, would they have honored the price or does it depend on each store?

Also wondering is there better value in posting your games to them instead of selling them in-store, would you definitly be offered the online price that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Trilla90 wrote: »
    Also wondering is there better value in posting your games to them instead of selling them in-store, would you definitly be offered the online price that way?

It would seem. I've had similar issues and had it pinned down the fact the website is not updated as frequent as the in-store database.

I'd worked under the assumption they were coming off the same database, but hey-ho, what do I know?

Trilla90 wrote: »
    I've used Cex to sell electronics & games a few times and maybe it's just me but i've noticed a big difference between the in-store prices and what you are actually offered in store.

Bare in mind the games & stuff i sold was in fully working condition so there was no reason to deduct money.

For example the Cex in Blanchardstown gave me €4 for a sims game that was listed as €10 on their website. I know i didn't have to sell for that price but there was a big que behind me and i didn't wanna kick up a fuss & wanted rid asap so i agreed to sell.

Just wondering If i had shown them the cex.ie webpage with the game for €10, would they have honored the price or does it depend on each store?

Right lads good news. The money is in my account. That's a pretty impressive turn around of them receiving the goods and getting the money into my account. And of course I got the quoted prices as you have 5 days to get them the goods and An Post are generally good for 24-48 hour deliveries.

I've just posted 2 more games to them. Happy days.

• Advertisement

Just to say i went into a different branch today in town and got full website value for the games i sold so it must depend so it must vary with each one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I've found their system to be on the ball to be honest, never offered less than the website. Their stock checker seems to match with reality for me as well.

They even offer free Wi-Fi in store so no excuse not to check stock or price.

quick question lads, what is their policy on phones? Would they take one with a cracked screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

quick question lads, what is their policy on phones? Would they take one with a cracked screen?

99% sure they wouldn't. They are fussy when it comes to hardware, which is a good thing.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    99% sure they wouldn't. They are fussy when it comes to hardware, which is a good thing.

Yeah i tried to sell them a digital camera there last week. I thought it was in great condition but they found a small crack in the screen and wouldn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Depends on the phone, some can be bought as non working, webuy.com and try search. Eg: iPhone 5 non working.

One thing though, especially with iphones, they will have to be able to deactivate the icloud account and get the imei off the phone, if the screen is completely trashed this will mean they can't do this so can't buy it in.

'Non-working – Phone intact, not crushed or snapped in half. Non-working examples: dead, cracked, broken/bleeding LCD (screen), not powering up, speaker/mic faults, broken aerial, etc. No accessories required.'

This might be out of date though, and newer iphone models have their own set of problems. :)

I got a google nexus 7, 20013, in cex in Enniskillen this time last year, 102 euro. Still in box, never used. Great value. I did trade in a few old DVDs.

They have great stuff traded in in the north, because so many people up there get a tablet with a new phone. Much better and more choice then down here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Another question some of you guys may have come across before. I traded some games in in store awhile back for credit. I have the little CEX barcode thing on my key ring and used this when trading in and had just assumed that the credit was tied to that via an account but was told yesterday that the receipt is the credit.

Entirely my own fault for not making sure I understood this but now that I can't place that receipt is there any comeback or is the credit lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

djkeogh wrote: »
    Another question some of you guys may have come across before. I traded some games in in store awhile back for credit. I have the little CEX barcode thing on my key ring and used this when trading in and had just assumed that the credit was tied to that via an account but was told yesterday that the receipt is the credit.

Entirely my own fault for not making sure I understood this but now that I can't place that receipt is there any comeback or is the credit lost?

lost i'm afraid. In future even a photo of the receipt would suffice as to order online you just need the code and the date etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Definitely won't take something with a cracked screen :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Johny_cash

How long does it usually take for it to arrive? I sent my games wednesday and hoping that they get it by today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you know how many copies of a single game they would take?
    If I was to buy online and then sell to them for in store credit therefore getting a higher value for them so I could get stuff I actually wanted
    is this frowned on or just market speculation?

There are bulk buy procedures. A member of staff would be able to tell you the amounts etc.
    Worst case scenario you would be treated as a trader not a customer and have a slight discount on the overall value if over a certain threshold value/number of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Very happy selling to them but would never buy from them, walked into the new one on George's street the week it opened last year, was looking for zelda OOT for the 3ds as I'd just bought one, the sales guy looked at me like I was speaking another language and had to ask me to spell it when he searched for it, didnt inspire confidence tbh

As I said though very happy selling to them and got a great price for my old graphics card from them last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Skerries wrote: »
    If I was to buy online and then sell to them for in store credit therefore getting a higher value for them so I could get stuff I actually wanted

I personlly know a guy who bought 5 copies of Dark souls 2 on xbox one from smyths last year when they were reduced to a tenner and got €150 for them in the CEX up the road, no questions asked.

Also, at christmas last year, when argos was doing the xb1 with fifa / halo 5 and Black ops 3, they dropped the price paid out on halo 5 pretty quickly due to the volume of them that were being traded - so they obviously have some sort of internal metric comparing the amount of stock vs amount paid for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Skerries wrote: »

9 per transaction without and change to the price, if more than 9 pricing will be emailed for an adjusted price. Just grab a mate or two to get around this.

It's not tied to nine. It's more of a guideline. Any amount of identical items or repeat exchanges of identical items (like 2 copies of Fifa 16 three times a week or some nonsense) can be subject to bulk buy discount.

High value items especially, 4 boxed PS4s are very different to 9 copies of Intermission on DVD. Same with using multiple accounts, like with the above Halo example it will be a combination of auto price adjust and requested price adjustment.

Very unlikely you will run into any trouble trading in anything especially in amounts under 9 but its not a definite number.

Worth a try every time though :)

Advertisement