Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2005/2006 Lexus GS300

• 01-12-2014 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Any advice on them? What are common problems and what to look out for apart from the massive tax bill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I have one for the last 4.5 years and 100,000 km so guess I'm qualified to advise! I think I have an older post somewhere here giving advise on models etc so will try to pull it out!

Extremely reliable - I've spent SFA above normal maintenance on mine.

Known issues:
    Creaks / rattles from dash etc.
    Xenons flickering / blowing. It's the bulb, not the ballast thankfully. I've changed mine once, and reckon I'll have to do it again soon.
    Rear brake calipers seizing. (Just had this myself).
    Rear wheel alignment issues - may be recommended to slightly overinflate tyres depending on tread pattern.
    Carbon build up on the back of valves due to very slightly badly designed piston rings and direct injection. This is majorly expensive to put right, but I've never heard of anyone in Europe having much of an issue. Bigger problem in the US with their dirtier petrol, and it's covered by a recall there (but not here).

Consumption: I get about 27mpg with mixed motorway / rural / urban driving - not too bad I reckon!

Generally easy to work on DIY.

Models (2005/06):
    Executive (SE in UK): full leather, heated electrically adjustable front seats, sensors all round, 10 speaker sound system (really good), 17" alloys (10 spoke), rear blind, soft close boot, auto dimming and dipping mirrors.
    Sport (SE-L in UK): adds boot spoiler, sat nav (look for 4 buttons on left of screen, rather than 2 on the Exec), voice control, Mark Levinson 14 speaker audio, DVD, 18" alloys (5 spoke).
    Options for Sport: Radar guided cruise control with pre crash system (applies the brakes automatically if about to crash) - look for a 'fob' switch hanging down on the right hand side of the steering wheel.
    Optional on all models: wooden steering wheel and gear stick.

Let me know if you have any specific queries - happy to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Thanks for the extensive reply, Padraig! Really appreciate it.

I'd love the Sport, simply for the Mark Levinson audio, but then, these are much more expensive than the Executive.
    In terms of the auto dimming and dipping mirrors - it's both in and out, yes?

27mpg doesn't sound bad at all for a 3.0 actually. I currently get about 23-24mpg in my 2.2 BMW, so I'd be happy enough with that sort of fuel consumption.

Reliability was my number one concern and I'm glad to hear no horror stories about these so far.

Do all of these come with Ventilated Seats as standard? I just want to make sure they do :)

Another thing - Bluetooth - can you play music through bluetooth or just receive/make calls?

Thanks once again for the reply!

Sobanek wrote: »
    Thanks for the extensive reply, Padraig! Really appreciate it.

I'd love the Sport, simply for the Mark Levinson audio, but then, these are much more expensive than the Executive.
    In terms of the auto dimming and dipping mirrors - it's both in and out, yes?

27mpg doesn't sound bad at all for a 3.0 actually. I currently get about 23-24mpg in my 2.2 BMW, so I'd be happy enough with that sort of fuel consumption.

Reliability was my number one concern and I'm glad to hear no horror stories about these so far.

Do all of these come with Ventilated Seats as standard? I just want to make sure they do :)

Another thing - Bluetooth - can you play music through bluetooth or just receive/make calls?

Thanks once again for the reply!

I haven't been keeping an eye on prices for a while, but I never noticed a particular premium for the Sport pricing, although with so few for sale it's hard to tell. TBH unless a dealer happened to be particularly interested in the car, it's doubtful they'll know the difference between the models. I would definitely go for the Sport if you can though - what's the point in having a car like this without most / all of the kit? Speaking of which, there are a FEW Executive models out there with added sat nav and voice control, but not the ML or DVD - I have one of them!

TBH the 'standard' audio is fantastic (10 speakers including a big subwoofer); any reports I've seen have indicated that the ML is a marginal improvement. Still, if you can get it, why not?

Not sure what you mean about the mirrors. All three (wing and rear view) are electrochemical auto dimming. The wing mirrors also automatically dip when you select Reverse. The wings can also be folded in electronically if you wish.

Yes, ventilated seats are standard. TBH it won't make much difference unless you're wearing light clothes - any effect with jeans etc is minimal. Heating is nice these days though!

No, Bluetooth (standard) is just for calls. It's a bit hit and miss really - used work great, but has disimproved with newer Android releases. Works fine most of the time, but goes a bit mad occasionally!

One point to note: the standard screen was replaced with a higher resolution one at some stage - here, I think it was 2007, but it may have been earlier as the Yanks got it in 06. The newer one is a lot nicer (I have the old one). If you view a specific car, take a photo of the nav screen working and I'll let you know which it is.

BTW, unless you need the boot space, and if it's in budget, I'd recommend checking out the GS450H - that yoke is a beast to accelerate!

edit: BTW, I'd be aiming to spend under €5k, €6k max for a nice one with warranty. They're worth nothing as a trade in. Believe me I know!

In terms of the auto-dimming mirrors - I meant if it's only the interior one that auto dims or is it both interior and side mirrors :) That answers it perfectly.

Don't mind the nav screen as long as it works :D

GS450h is out of budget unfortunately, so I'm opting for the 300.

This has caught my eye:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-sport/7257237

Might have a look at it over the week.

Looks in good nick TBH, although I'd be checking that mileage - the leather is very resilient and can look great even with a lot of miles. NCT due soon too - is it 3 months early they can be done now?

• Advertisement

Looks in good nick TBH, although I'd be checking that mileage - the leather is very resilient and can look great even with a lot of miles. NCT due soon too - is it 3 months early they can be done now?

It's voluntary now. Can be done at any time as long as you can book it.

I'd definitely be expecting him to get it done so; no reason not to unless there's an issue. Mine has sailed through every NCT, and I have double that mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

In terms of the auto-dimming mirrors - I meant if it's only the interior one that auto dims or is it both interior and side mirrors :) That answers it perfectly.

Don't mind the nav screen as long as it works :D

GS450h is out of budget unfortunately, so I'm opting for the 300.

This has caught my eye:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-sport/7257237

Might have a look at it over the week.

I know that car. The person selling it in Portlaoise doesn't have it very long at all. Even the photos are done at the former owners business premises.

Edit - on second thoughts I might be wrong on the premises.

Well...
    VEHICLE
    Vehicle Registration Number 05C16650
    Vehicle Details LEXUS / GS300
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    No Changes notified in the last 3 months
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    No Vehicle Registration Certificate issued in the last 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Well...

I checked that too. Maybe it wasn't popped in the post!

• Advertisement

I'm guessing it's a lemon then :(

Any chance it's someone just tidying it up and making a small profit on a quick turnaround?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Casual dealer trying to flip it over quickly?

Any chance it's someone just tidying it up and making a small profit on a quick turnaround?

It's on Adverts and the seller is looking to swap for a 5 Series.
    Why? It's beyond me.

Smells fishy...

//edit: Well, I called the guy, and he seemed genuine enough. He says he owns it for 8 months now, but needs something a bit more family friendly.
    Asked him if I can bring a mechanic along, he had no objections.

Right, the black Sport is clocked, so going to avoid it.

Off to Dublin tomorrow to see this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/gs300/used-2006-lexus-gs300-gs300-execu-dublin-fpa-50414012685917800

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/gs300/used-2006-lexus-gs300-gs300-execu-dublin-fpa-50414012685917800

I wouldn't buy from that dealer. PM me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Do they suffer from rust in general? that wheel arch(pic 9) needs attention.

RootX wrote: »
    Do they suffer from rust in general? that wheel arch(pic 9) needs attention.

Well spotted.

Crap news for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Re: 05C16650

According to carhistorycheck.ie this car was written off in 03/2013...
    Last ownership change was in 04/2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Did you run a report on it, or how could you tell it was clocked?

• Advertisement

Yup. Best €30 ever spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Well worth the history checks, if the car is going to cost you €40 in petrol to view best pay for the check first. If it's local do the test drive and then the check. Can sound like wasted money but in the scheme of things €100 checking out a couple of cars pre purchase can save thousands in buying a car which could be worthless because of write off or clocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

I looked at a good few Gs300's at the start of the year but most of them were in poor condition.
    All of them had corroded alloys so dont let that put you off.

The alloys start to peel eventually alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Here is one from a main dealer(hence the higher asking price) but if you can get a cash deal and they offer some warranty, it may worth it for the peace of mind(if you're happy with the car that is)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

I'm finding it very hard to get the right spec and colour gs450s I hope to look at 2 over the weekend,even searching the uk there aren't many around and the prices are a lot more than what they are over here which makes a change.

Advertisement