Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over training

Options
  • 01-12-2014 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure i have got myself into an over trained state, i have pretty much all of the symptoms, trouble sleeping, muscle pain, bit depressed for no reason, thirsty all the time, have had a sore throat for the past 3 weeks and other niggles which i can't seem to shake. So i'm 99% sure i've over trained, plus i did a mountain of training in October and November.

My question is how long should i take off to recovery and what should i be doing to actively help recovery?

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'd buy a new bike immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

From my experience its not that you've overtrained but you've under recovered.
    Foam roll,stretching, going for some walks, eating plenty of food. And regularly icing any musclepains i have always works for me.

And then get back into it easily, and making sure to get enough rest in from now on.
    But thats just me. Sometimes its better just to take a step back for a week or two if youre hitting that phase where you're grumpy and depressed about training and then after a week or two you'll find the love of it will come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

Ok Cheers, i'll give that a go.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How much time have you been spending on the bike and how does this compare, both time- and intensity - wise to what you were doing previously?

To be honesty i've been doing pretty much the same as i have been doing all summer during the racing season about 10-12 hours per week, i'm not doing as much intesity as the summer just zone 1 and 2 stuff with a few intervals every now and then. I think the big difference between the summer and now is the turbo, a 2 hour session on the turbo just feels like double the effort of a 2 hour session on the road even if it was just an easy turbo session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

To be honesty i've been doing pretty much the same as i have been doing all summer during the racing season about 10-12 hours per week, i'm not doing as much intesity as the summer just zone 1 and 2 stuff with a few intervals every now and then. I think the big difference between the summer and now is the turbo, a 2 hour session on the turbo just feels like double the effort of a 2 hour session on the road even if it was just an easy turbo session.

2 hours on the turbo if after work is quite a bit.

Did you take a break from training after race season?

I did yeah i took a 3 week break. Yeah i think i'm going to limit the turbo sessions to 1h 30 max. The 2 hour session usually has about 20-30 minutes of tempo stuff, after that you'd be fit for nothing, not to mention the amount of sweat you loose during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

a 2 hour session on the turbo just feels like double the effort of a 2 hour session on the road even if it was just an easy turbo session.

a solid 60 mins on the turbo should be regarded as about 90 on the road when you account for free-wheeling etc on the latter. 2 hours turbo'ing is quite a lot.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Think I'm the same as you OP, only when I read your symptoms I think it might stupidly be overtraining :(
    Though I had most of the year off with a back operation, so not sure how that equates.

Maybe at this time of the year the body needs recovery and is more open to flu/cold/infection or whatever is gone.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

yop wrote: »
    Though I had most of the year off with a back operation, so not sure how that equates.
    This time last year I would have been doing 8-10 hours a week. I've been recovering for the past 9 months or so though, and am now doing 4+ hours, occasionally 6 or so. My aim is to be back to 8-10 by the end of January, although within that there will be easy weeks - maybe 6 hours but without major effort. It's definitely a matter of building up. I am no-where near as fit as I was last year, but I reckon by pacing myself back to fitness hopefully I'll be at a reasonable level come next March

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Rest more, eat well and try to get sleep right.

Sleep being the most important, I think. No tv, labtop, phone 30 mins before bed, try ZMA supposed to be excellent in aiding repair during deep sleep. If your waking up a lot your probably not getting your deep sleep, which is the important bit for muscle repair.
    Adequate protein also.

Leave the bike alone for a week, walk, swim stretch etc

ok i'll take all of that on board

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

10-12hours a week is a hell of a lot for someone who is working or studying full time.
    Prper diet (especially eating within 1/2 hour of a session) and getting at least 8 hours sleep a night is essential to maintain that load.
    I'd personally look at reducing the duration and getting a coach to try to looks at substituting quantity for quality .....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure i have got myself into an over trained state, i have pretty much all of the symptoms, trouble sleeping, muscle pain, bit depressed for no reason, thirsty all the time, have had a sore throat for the past 3 weeks and other niggles which i can't seem to shake. So i'm 99% sure i've over trained, plus i did a mountain of training in October and November.

My question is how long should i take off to recovery and what should i be doing to actively help recovery?

Thanks in advance

There is no simple answer, but your body is telling you you are pushing too hard and it needs a rest.

My first thing to hit on the head would be the 2 hour turbo. Not only from the physical point of view, but mentally that is very hard to maintain. Sometimes you just need to chill out a bit.

When will you know you're ready to come back?...in my experience you'll know. You'll look forward to getting back on board, rather than the dread of another session. Maybe give all cycling related topics a miss for a few days. It really can become an overwhelming obsession, from training, to eating, to training plans etc (even dare I say it being on here).

Maybe just take a break, lie in on Sunday, head out for a few pints, or cinema or whatever floats your boat on Saturday. Forget about HR, Watts, diet, weight etc for a few days.

IMO its more the mental side that is the impact of overtraining rather than your body shutting down. Another way to get around this is you don't want to stop altogether (a few days/weeks actually won't make too much difference at this stage) is to head off on new routes/take the bike offroad through a park or whatever. Change of scenery really.

Cheers there's some great advice in there, Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Beasty wrote: »
    This time last year I would have been doing 8-10 hours a week. I've been recovering for the past 9 months or so though, and am now doing 4+ hours, occasionally 6 or so. My aim is to be back to 8-10 by the end of January, although within that there will be easy weeks - maybe 6 hours but without major effort. It's definitely a matter of building up. I am no-where near as fit as I was last year, but I reckon by pacing myself back to fitness hopefully I'll be at a reasonable level come next March

Thats the key isn't it, something I haven't been doing! I was at a good level before I started having these issues and just horsed into it! :D
    I am probably doing 3 hours road, 5 hours turbo ( a back to back 1 hour club session in here), 2 or 3 hours core/weights and 2 or 3 thirty five min runs, so when I write it down and look at it then ya its probably daft.
    Add to that 2 young kids who seem to strategically rotate waking at night, a 6am start in the morning for work and then trying to lose weight... epic fail all around eh! :o

Though when your stubborn its hard to switch off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Go an buy yourself some Epsom Salts from Boots. Very cheap and they are just unreal for muscle pain and recovery. I didn't believe in them but put them into a warm bath and they work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

under recovering. sore throat is normal with this weather. how good is your diet?

any work/family related stress? maybe you just miss summer, its always a downer when race season ends and dark grey Irish winter sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'm not training anything like you guys are, so I'm probably not qualified to comment. But one thing I found good was to remove the computer from the winter bike for a while. The spins were suddenly so much more enjoyable. Back to basics - fresh air and view, and noise from the tyres on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Beasty wrote: »

Out of interest Beasty, did you have your physio schedule you a rehab training plan or did you just base it on your own experience?
    (I'm unsuccessfully coming back from injury because I push myself too much every single time I'm the slightest bit better).
    This can be started as another topic if you feel like we're going off OP's post, but I think rehab training ties into overtraining in that you've got to be careful and limit yourself not to do too much.

• Advertisement

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Out of interest Beasty, did you have your physio schedule you a rehab training plan or did you just base it on your own experience?
    (I'm unsuccessfully coming back from injury because I push myself too much every single time I'm the slightest bit better).
    This can be started as another topic if you feel like we're going off OP's post, but I think rehab training ties into overtraining in that you've got to be careful and limit yourself not to do too much.
    Onto my 3rd physio now. First one dealt mainly with the wrist and elbow and a bit on the neck, the 2nd the neck and shoulder - had to be a different one to get it under the Aviva back-up programme, and recently I've been going to one ahead of starting Pilates in January. Main recent complaints have been the back/sciatica and shoulder.

None of them have been "prescribing" any cycling but all have encouraged it as part of my overall rehab. I have been working with a coach, but it is very much played by ear, as all sorts of things affect me both physically and mentally at present. I always knew it would not be a straight-line recovery, and some weeks it feels like I'm suffering a bit of a set-back. However what I do seem very good at is spotting the symptoms and planning/cutting back accordingly. In some ways I am probably way ahead of where I could possibly have expected, but still way behind where I think I could be! I guess it's a "happy balance" but very much based on my own feelings about the state I am in :)

Just to add a bit more - back in July I thought I was going great guns - probably getting on for 5-6 hours a week. However that was when I wasn't really focussed on work and indeed other priorities. Getting the balance right has been the key to me. I'm very focussed on work at present and have a young family to think about (and indeed ferry around particularly at the weekend). I also need lots of rest. My body is still recovering but my brain in particular is taking a lot of energy repairing itself.

Having said all of that the last few weeks I feel as if I've made a breakthrough, and now feel as if I'm almost back to the old self. I know there is still some way to go before I finally get there, but I am pushing the boundaries at present - each week I'll push up the power curve a bit more. Sprinting-wise I'm pretty much back to where I was before the crash. Endurance-wise I am still quite a way off - probably 10-20% in terms of power, but I am slowly narrowing the gap. Who knows, maybe this gradual build-up will actually help as I'm not currently overdoing it and feel I still have a lot of capacity to build further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

That sounds to me like you're disciplined and in tune with what your mind and body are needing and it's serving you well.
    Anyway - for danger of veering thread completely OT I'll leave it at that, amybe start a thread another time on rehab.
    Thanks for your reply (and great you're doing so well, even though it's been a very long process)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Hi All,

Thanks in advance
    GET CORRECT DIAGNOSIS
    If its going on that long eliminate the medical end first, it may or may not be overtraining or there could be a throat infection that needs antibiotics. At least get some medical advice would be recommended by most good coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

under recovering. sore throat is normal with this weather. how good is your diet?

any work/family related stress? maybe you just miss summer, its always a downer when race season ends and dark grey Irish winter sets in.

Sore throats are not normal with this weather..surely if that was the case the whole population would have them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Rest rest and rest . It's all about listing to your body . But the hard part for a motivated atleate is to act on what you are hearing . We all do it its a fine balance .op you didn't have to come on here to know you were doing a bit to much you knew that yourself . Ajust and over come and you will be back to yourself in no time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

A three week break!!!

Nuts.

IMHO that is too short a break. I can think of very few other sports where the off-season is three weeks. I would give it at least twice that. Mentally you need a break as much as physically.
    I am not saying don't cycle at all, maybe commute on the bike taking it easy.
    10-12 hours this time of year - are you training for the Ras?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hi Ho

ror_74 wrote: »
    I'd buy a new bike immediately.

No, this won't help.
    "how long should i take off to recovery" - as long as it takes I'd suggest.
    You have identified all the symptoms so knock things back until they resolve. That doesn't mean stopping altogether, but reducing things significantly, especially intensity.
    It sounds like you could do with a mental break also.
    When you do get your form back be sure to take recovery periods every third or fourth week to prevent yourself from digging yourself into a similar fatigue hole again.

• Advertisement

Hi Ho wrote: »
    No, this won't help.
    I suspect the "tongue in cheek" smiley was missing from that comment;)

Advertisement