Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non travel system users!

Options
  • 01-12-2014 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I bought a baby jogger mini gt to use from newborn (baby due in 6 weeks). Just wondering what you used for a newborn especially bearing in mind it will be born in January. I presume a footmuff or lodger bunker type thing is what I should get. Any of those I've seen are around €100 which seems very expensive. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Footmuff is what we used... does the baby jogger not come with one?

Loads available here:
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_footmuff/

I think the out n about footmuffs are a little bit better than the jogger ones (and they fit most buggies) as they have a hood part at the top as well, which seems to be very snuggly. You can get all sorts of universal ones.

Can you sew at all? They are a piece of piss to make. two layers of fleece and any fabric on top... bit of velcro and you're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

No it didn't come with one. Great prices for second hand. Thanks.
    I couldn't sew to save my life :-)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I bought a baby jogger mini gt to use from newborn (baby due in 6 weeks). Just wondering what you used for a newborn especially bearing in mind it will be born in January. I presume a footmuff or lodger bunker type thing is what I should get. Any of those I've seen are around €100 which seems very expensive. Any recommendations? Thanks!

It might have just been my baby but when newborn, he hated the jogger mini - I couldn't walk 50 metres before turning back. You can get adaptors to clip in the car seat. I actually have a set for the maxi-cosi that I never even opened, cost me €19! ( but I was a bit PFB and thought that the car seat clipping on to it was quite high and on the three wheels too easy to topple.) I ended up getting a quinny frame and using the car seat until he was about 4/5 months. So while they are marketed for newborn, I personally don't think that they really are, not without some sort of newborn insert separately purchased to support the head.

Now, having said that, once his head was not wobbly, and he could be strapped up sitting, he loved it, and so do I. Its lightweight, a doddle to fold and I've used it on streets and gravel/mud woodland terrain and its been ok.

I do love the long hood as it's great for napping. The rain cover tore easily and didn't last long which I wasn't impressed with and I keep meaning to get one, but have been really lucky in that I never needed it since. I use the foot muff this time of year and it keeps him very warm, but it tends to slide down the buggy and shortens the straps so you have to kind of sit the child in, and tug the top of the foot-muff behind the head to bring it back up to where its supposed to be so that you can put on the straps easier. And especially when the baby is bigger and heavier (and in a full tantrum mode!) its tricky sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I used the baby jogger from birth with just a footmuff. In winter id out an extra blanket inside the footmuff to keep her snug. It's perfectly fine and warm and supportive. But as Neyite said in the previous post I also need to pull the footmuff up whenever I'm putting her in as it keep kind of coming down a bit. Ye footmuffs are around €50 new. If u really really wanted you could get the basinette but it's not really necessary and it around €100 new. A lot cheaper second hand tho. My little girl loved the car seat and would always sleep in it when On the pram. My boy however hated the carseat and wouldn't last 20 min in it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had 3 January babies and after the 1st it was double buggy territory.
    Kaiser foot muffs are good and not too expensive and snow suits are your friend. I got mine in tk maxx but Amazon sell them too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaiser-65708-Iglu-Footmuff-Red/dp/B000RJY5OQ/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1417448921&sr=8-27&keywords=kaiser+foot+muff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We got the baby jogger footmuff on amazon for around €30 on special offer and it's great, our fella is 9 months and it reaches as far as his shoulders :) We used a travel system for the first month or so and although I hated it, the one advantage was the clip in carseat. We had a few lovely cosy pramsuits that we used to put him in with a fleece blanket doubled up over that in the carseat and it worked perfectly.

We got the baby jogger footmuff on amazon for around €30 on special offer and it's great, our fella is 9 months and it reaches as far as his shoulders :) We used a travel system for the first month or so and although I hated it, the one advantage was the clip in carseat. We had a few lovely cosy pramsuits that we used to put him in with a fleece blanket doubled up over that in the carseat and it worked perfectly.

The car seat should fit on the baby jogger single if you have the adapters? It does on our single but not our double :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Sligo1 wrote: »
    The car seat should fit on the baby jogger single if you have the adapters? It does on our single but not our double :)

I only found out about those car seat adapters after he had outgrown the car seat :pac: He's a nosey little bugger anyway so he always preferred to look out at the world rather than up into my cooing face :D It's an awful pity you can't get the adapters for the double, it's silly because you can get them for the american model. We have a double ordered for when the new baby arrives but we'll hang on to our single buggy too so I might pick up some of those adapters anyway. Where is the best place to get them?

O I wish wish wish the double took the car seat! It is a fantastic double tho otherwise. I think mothercare seem to be the cheapest for the adaptors but you can pick them up on adverts for around €10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I recently got the double. Ive 2 universal foot muffs and never have issues with them moving down. Infact I find they sit very well in this buggy compared to any other ive used.

• Advertisement

Suucee wrote: »
    I recently got the double. Ive 2 universal foot muffs and never have issues with them moving down. Infact I find they sit very well in this buggy compared to any other ive used.

Maybe it's just the baby jogger muffs that fall down? That's the one we have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the baby jogger muffs that fall down? That's the one we have

I don't think they go up high enough. The out n about ones go up over the top of the babies head, and is looped over the back-piece, so it can't really slip down.

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't think they go up high enough. The out n about ones go up over the top of the babies head, and is looped over the back-piece, so it can't really slip down.

Yea they need to be looped over the back! That would solve the problem. It's quite annoying.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I had 3 January babies and after the 1st it was double buggy territory.
    Kaiser foot muffs are good and not too expensive and snow suits are your friend. I got mine in tk maxx but Amazon sell them too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaiser-65708-Iglu-Footmuff-Red/dp/B000RJY5OQ/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1417448921&sr=8-27&keywords=kaiser+foot+muff

Ah finally found a use for the Snowsuit!! Everyone I know having a winter baby buys them but you can't use them in car seat or sling so I had no idea where they were uses!
    Thanks for that link, good price.

Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement