Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best premium andoid phone?

• 01-12-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Spoiling myself for xmas with a new mobile after suffering with a Sony Xperia L for over a year now which constantly freezes, chews battery, goes to sleep while in the middle of use and various other annoying behaviours.

So what is the best premium phone on the market?

I want a decent responsive one with good camera. Needs to be unlocked or vodafone network... budget 400-500

cheers
    X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Xcellor wrote: »
    Spoiling myself for xmas with a new mobile after suffering with a Sony Xperia L for over a year now which constantly freezes, chews battery, goes to sleep while in the middle of use and various other annoying behaviours.

So what is the best premium phone on the market?

I want a decent responsive one with good camera. Needs to be unlocked or vodafone network... budget 400-500

cheers
    X

OnePlus One

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Quazzie wrote: »
    OnePlus One

Specs wise it is the best, but i would get the HTC One M8 it has the premium factor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

HTC One M8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Specs wise it is the best, but i would get the HTC One M8 it has the premium factor for me.

You're looking at a couple of hundred euro more for the m8.
    Based on the OP's budget, the one plus gives the best match for performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

OnePlus One? Sounds like a vtech invention... to teach your kids how to use mobile phone... Im going to check it out...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I think the OPO is on sale publicly at the moment:
    [url]
    https://oneplus.net/blackfriday/
    [/url]

The one thing that is putting me off oneplus one is the lack of expandable storage. Even my piece of **** phone has that and I thought it was a fairly standard thing unless you were buying Apple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Xcellor wrote: »
    The one thing that is putting me off oneplus one is the lack of expandable storage. Even my piece of **** phone has that and I thought it was a fairly standard thing unless you were buying Apple?
    Would you use more than 64GB of local storage? If you would, then the OnePlus is not for you.
    So €200 more than the OnePlus?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Would you use more than 64GB of local storage? If you would, then the OnePlus is not for you.

So €200 more than the OnePlus?

Good point. I'm one of these people that like to have a slot even if I put nothing in it :D Just in case... But really I've never done more than 64 gigs...

The OnePlus is a relatively new brand which is sort of putting me off might look like a cheap chinese knock off and what would the support be like, Ive had limited dealings with Samsung and they were spot on sent part out straight away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

It certainly doesnt look like a cheap chinese knock off, in fact the back of it is much more premium than pretty much any samsung phone out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Op,have a look at the oppo find 7,available directly from their website, its about 480 Euros.I have one for the last few months and couldn't be happier with it.

http://global.oppo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Xiaomi mi4. Best phone on the planet regards to specs and design. Id described it as the quality material design and simplicity of an iphone yet with all the extra functionality (if you want) of the Android, fairly priced too

Can buy from their European website, this phone will be everywhere soon

HTC One M8 for sure. €499 + €8 postage on Amazon.de SIM free.
    I just got this on the Cyber Monday deal for €429 but would have paid the €499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

have a oneplus one and i have to say its an amazing piece of kit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Xiaomi mi4. Best phone on the planet regards to specs and design. Id described it as the quality material design and simplicity of an iphone yet with all the extra functionality (if you want) of the Android, fairly priced too

Can buy from their European website, this phone will be everywhere soon
    4G? Gotta link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The new Moto X is a ridiculously smooth user experience all things considered. Not sure about Irish availability though. My only reservation would be the lack of expandable storagé.

4G? Gotta link?

http://www.xiaomishop.com/11-xiaomi-mobile

There you go, I couldn't get over what a cool phone this was when I watched YouTube, and currently on sale for 320, half the price of a galaxy s5 and better quality

If you want 4g you must buy from aliexpress, sort by seller ratings and the first black one you see will have 4g. I cant wait to get mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Keep reading the Moto X (new version) is let down by a small capacity battery.

Have you considered the LG G3?

A mate got both the G3 and HTC and loves both so you can't go far wrong.

I have a OnePlus and love it, they are the same company as Oppo (kinda).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

http://www.xiaomishop.com/11-xiaomi-mobile

There you go, I couldn't get over what a cool phone this was when I watched YouTube, and currently on sale for 320, half the price of a galaxy s5 and better quality

If you want 4g you must buy from aliexpress, sort by seller ratings and the first black one you see will have 4g. I cant wait to get mine

Be warned, the only 4g Mi4 on the market right now is TDD, not FDD, so won't work here or anywhere else outside China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Had an eye on the Moto X myself, can be got from UK website so i'm sure parcel motel would work, price direct and unlocked is mental though, so oneplus on the way.

corwill wrote: »
    Be warned, the only 4g Mi4 on the market right now is TDD, not FDD, so won't work here or anywhere else outside China.

Thanks for the heads up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The LG G3 got Phone of the year from a few reputable sites. I have not seen it myself but it looks like an absolute beast. Expensive though

Advertisement