Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using credit card outside euro-zone - 'cross border handling fee'

Options
  • 01-12-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Will be using my credit card to withdraw money outside the Eurozone next month. I load up the credit card and withdraw cash at the ATM - i've done this last time I was outside the Eurozone no problems.

I rang the bank to tell them that the countries i'll be in.

They advised of a 2.x% 'cross border handling fee'. My question is, was this always in place? Last time I was outside the Eurozone was about 4 years ago. I don't remember this charge.

Given that i'll be spending a considerable sum of money, this is going to hit my pocket... was it always there? I just can't remember.

It's a Mastercard with BOI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Been around as long as I can remember..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Folks,
    Will be using my credit card to withdraw money outside the Eurozone next month. I load up the credit card and withdraw cash at the ATM - i've done this last time I was outside the Eurozone no problems.

I rang the bank to tell them that the countries i'll be in.

They advised of a 2.x% 'cross border handling fee'. My question is, was this always in place? Last time I was outside the Eurozone was about 4 years ago. I don't remember this charge.

Given that i'll be spending a considerable sum of money, this is going to hit my pocket... was it always there? I just can't remember.

It's a Mastercard with BOI
    Hi JohnCleary,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

When you withdraw cash, a cash withdrawal fee of €2.54 or 1.5% (whichever is greater)- applies unless your credit card account is in credit when the transaction hits the account or has a zero balance after the transaction is completed.

Outside the Eurozone, a cross-border handling fee of 2.25% applies on all transactions regardless of whether your credit card account is in credit or not.

This is not a new charge that has been introduced. I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for the info. I guess I had just forgotten about the charge previously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement