Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying with 100e in Aldi/Tesco

Options
  • 01-12-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

Hi guys,

I've exchanged money yesterday and was given a 100e note. Never thought it would be this difficult to pay with it anywhere! Does aldi/tesco accept them? I know best thing to do is to go there and see, but I am stuck at work until late today having no money but that 100e until the end of week and also an empty fridge.
    That irony of a 100e note and having to ask my collegues for lunch money... :D

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I never had any difficulty using one anywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally 100s are accepted most large - its 200s and 500s that nowhere will take. I've paid with them in Tesco in the past (when they were a little bit more common due to the building trade using them a lot in the boom) anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Do they not have to accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

evilberry wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've exchanged money yesterday and was given a 100e note. Never thought it would be this difficult to pay with it anywhere! Does aldi/tesco accept them? I know best thing to do is to go there and see, but I am stuck at work until late today having no money but that 100e until the end of week and also an empty fridge.
    That irony of a 100e note and having to ask my collegues for lunch money... :D

Thanks!

Depends how much you are spending, and the ratio of change to spend. They might refuse to let you pay for a Mars bar with the note, but once it is a respectable amount, you will be grand.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Do they not have to accept it?

Not for shopping. only if something is done first and then you pay it to settle the debt

I *think*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

bluewolf wrote: »
    Not for shopping. only if something is done first and then you pay it to settle the debt

I *think*
    You think right. But they have no obligation to give change, so you can't use it to pay less than €100 and expect to get money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

Cheers guys, thanks. I will give it a try at Aldi/Tesco today and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've used them in Tesco before without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are some oddball laws about legal tender. I would think its fine in tesco, if worried I would go to the customer service desk and ask for it to be broken down before I did my shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sure just use one of the self service machines it wont refuse it. problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

D3PO wrote: »
    sure just use one of the self service machines it wont refuse it. problem solved.

^This.

Sorted! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3PO wrote: »

I rarely use them but do they not give back change in change? You'd have a very heavy pocket going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Del2005 wrote: »
    I rarely use them but do they not give back change in change? You'd have a very heavy pocket going home.
    They give change in notes and coins from separate slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

Going on holidays to lanzarote a few years backI had a €100 note-- NO PLACE would take it..........anyhow,no problem with the auto ccheckouts in tescos!!!

Going on holidays to lanzarote a few years backI had a €100 note-- NO PLACE would take it..........anyhow,no problem with the auto ccheckouts in tescos!!!

Apologies for resends, got new phone at weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Apologies for resends, got new phone at weekend
    Did it cost 100 euro :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Rich fecker with your 4 foreign holidays a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

Ok folks, so I had to rush to Boots in Jervis to get something before I was going to do my famous 100e Tesco shopping. So I storm in 3 min before closing, grab what I needed, run to the till, I hand in the 100e note and... the guy doesn't even check it, just put it to a separate box for "big moniz", gives me the change, turns around and walks away. I expected at least a marker check.

So, Boots guy, if you'll ever read this topic - always do check the 100s notes, even if you want to close up and go home asap - even though mine was right from a bank, you might have a forged one some day and then you'll end up staying way, way longer :)

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement