Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import duty on midi controller??

Options
  • 01-12-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

So I've ordered a Midi Controller from the US as I was able to get a very good deal on it (even after factoring in 26% duty) but I can't find anywhere that gives me the exact duty % on midi controllers.
    Anybody brought similar into the country and tell me how much % they were charged on import duty?
    I know it's a % of the total cost of item+shipping and that there's usually a "handling fee" (complete rip-off charge IMO, isn't "handling" just part of your job if you're a postal/couriering company??) but I can't find the exact %. Seems it could be anywhere between 19% and infinity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Add 30%.+ handling charge. Some US eBay sellers factor in customs/duty, these can be worthwhile as it's all figured out in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Yeah, this wasn't ebay. 30% seems like such a rip. 19-23% is kinda understandable. Where do they pull a figure like 30% from? Thanks.

Don't know, sometimes it's worth it - like for old American stuff that's cheap over there but expensive here. Anyway, them's the rules

Yep, death and taxes.

And I still saved nearly €100 on the european retail price.

• Advertisement

Yep, I love vintage Switchcraft connectors, can't find them here, but America is awash with them - well worth the 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Your better off just ringing customs for the code. I remember some years ago getting a quote from them for a cutting lathe valued at 15k the charge was 750€. Then recently a russco turntable which was 450€ and customs 200€. It varies alot depending on the use.

I had to call them before over a drum machine. It was impossible to get an answer out of them. They seem to make it up as they go along. I'm sure I've heard of people challenging the rates and getting them changed as they'd applied completely wrong charges to items. None of which is surprising to me.

Advertisement