Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I cut back this plant....

• 01-12-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭

Hi, not a garden person really and know very little about caring for plants and shrubs. Had our back garden landscaped during the summer and some plants were put down. Not even sure what type of plant it is but I just want to know how do I cut this one back. Do I leave the two "flowering" parts alone or should they be cut, and if so, is it right to the base or leave a certain length?
    15300242694_9ed26db5a7_c.jpgUntitled by Wailin..., on Flickr

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's a stipa gigantea.

It doesn't need cutting back, unless it's annoying you. I leave the seedheads there over winter, I think they look great with frost on them, and it's birdfood.

You can propgate that plant by division (dig it up and split it in half) when it's a bit bigger, but it's small there, so I wouldn't bother yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ah great thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I'd consider chopping out those bits of Ivy though, before they take over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

homer911 wrote: »
    I'd consider chopping out those bits of Ivy though, before they take over the place

I like Ivy and think it often looks better than what it is growing on. The fact it flowers in winter and the fruit is produced at a time when other food is not available is said to make it an important plant from an ecology perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A bit of ivy does look very nice. Unfortunately it does not know when to stop and after a couple of years of admiring it you suddenly realise that it has created a mop head on top of the fence, just waiting for a strong wind to bring it all down! (lost a wall like that!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement