Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to earn money in college?

Options
  • 01-12-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Whats the best way to earn money while in college?

Working can take up a lot of time ant simple ideas to make some cash?

Unfortunately not everyone can get a grant and has to pay for fee's and cost of travel, books etc. Anyone any advice on how to make it through college?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

*edit* nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Leaving aside the ethical conversations:

Concern and Fundraising Ireland, or FMI (I can't remember which) are always hiring, with part-time and full-time options. Ridiculously high-turnover. Chugging may not be thy bag, but they're the only ones that offer an actual wage. There's even more options if you're willing to work on commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

You could argue that a good college job is one that offers long hours but in which nothing goes on, so you can study while you work.

I'm thinking late night petrol station attendant in a quiet place or the likes.

Also, nail a core course in first year (like statistics) and teach grinds to the new crop of first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

While it's true that working can take up a lot of time, if you can manage to get the balance right then your part-time job could end up being invaluable when you finish college.

I graduated last year without a cat in hell's chance of getting a job in Ireland without working for free for about five years- literally, this is what one of my lecturers told me. Luckily it's the kind of job that I can volunteer freelance with for a while (it's translation, in case you were wondering), but I still had to get a job to keep me going. I worked in Guinness for most of my college years and the experience I got was fantastic, and I was able to tailor it to suit a couple of different jobs.

I would definitely, definitely 100% recommend getting a job while you're in college, especially for your first few years. I worked up until St. Patrick's day of my final year, with a dissertation due at the beginning of May, and it honestly kept me sane.

Sorry for the rant, hope it's of some help to you! :D

Advertisement