Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch insurance

Options
  • 01-12-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I'm in the lucky position of having two nice watches - an Omega Speedmaster and a Seamaster - in which I've invested enough money to not want anything to ever happen to them. The trouble is they're not insured, and I want to remedy this especially as I'm off to mainland Europe for most of next year.

I was wondering therefore if anybody had got their watches insured (not under house insurance) and if so with whom and roughly how much did it cost?

Any ideas gratefully received.

FdP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Just wondering why not on the house insurance? I have my IWC Portugeuse, Breiitling emergency and Omega Seamaster listed and am covered while on holidays or away from the house also? If you already have contents insurance it may be cheaper than getting a separate policy just for the watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That's good to know thanks.

I rent and figuring I don't have much of value (but I'd probably be surprised if I had to replace my stuff), I never got around to getting contents insurance. Also, I figured house insurance wouldn't cover items of jewellery of c.€4k each. I am possibly/probably wrong though.

I'll be away for 9 months come January, so will contents insurance cover that, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

You will probably be asked for valuations/receipts for items in excess of €2.5k on most policies.. Not sure about being away from home for extended periods such as in your case? Worth asking when getting a quote. Understand about renting but as you said you would be surprised at the amount of stuff we collect.. laptops, iPads, TV's etc.. definitely worth getting home contents policy for peace of mind and particularly if you have a couple of nice watches!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

As he will be in mainland Europe for the guts of a year be careful with the home insurance end of things.

A lot of policies will have time limits for 'all risks' (items carried with you outside the home) It might be 60 days worldwide in any period of insurance which is pretty standard

Thanks for both replies there.

Written valuations and receipts I have so should be OK on that front, but it's the away from home thing I am concerned about really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JP 1800

Safety deposit boxes are not too expensive these days and is something I am considering. It maybe less hassle than the insurance route.

I received a quote from the AA last night and they called me today. A reasonable quote, and they were willing to extend the 60 day all-risks cover for the watches abroad.

And then - after 15 minutes of nonsensical questions and confirmations, and despite having filled this in online for the quote - the guy saw that my house was built in 1865. Suddenly, no cover was possible. I asked why and of course he had no sensible answer.

So, no cover from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

What was the quote?

I dont have mine insured either but it is on my mind.

€135 I think but then there were extras for watches and abroad etc., and then he saw 1865 and all stopped. A total waste of my time.

FdP

Advertisement