Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a dog from Ireland to Russia

• 01-12-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking to relocate to Russia for six - twelve months for work and I own a Doberman.

He's too big to take on the Lufthansa flight with me. So I'm looking at handing him over to a pet shipping company. But of course this has me a little worried because, it's kind of like giving your child to someone and asking them to make sure they get from Dublin to Moscow no problem.

Have any of you experiences with shipping dogs overseas you can share with me? It's not something I've ever done, or know anyone who has so any info would be great.

p.s. I have the 'regulation' type information I need
    http://www.petrelocation.com/resources/international-regulations/ireland

My main concern is safety and comfort of the dog and being apart from him as little as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking to relocate to Russia for six - twelve months for work and I own a Doberman.

He's too big to take on the Lufthansa flight with me. So I'm looking at handing him over to a pet shipping company. But of course this has me a little worried because, it's kind of like giving your child to someone and asking them to make sure they get from Dublin to Moscow no problem.

Have any of you experiences with shipping dogs overseas you can share with me? It's not something I've ever done, or know anyone who has so any info would be great.

p.s. I have the 'regulation' type information I need
    http://www.petrelocation.com/resources/international-regulations/ireland

My main concern is safety and comfort of the dog and being apart from him as little as possible.

My suggestion would be to contact Ramona in Dog Rescue Coolronan she rehomes alot of her dogs to Sweden so I am sure she can advise you on the best form of transport for you that would be safe and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

In the begin of the year I sent a dog for a customer of mine to San Francisco. After lots of search and enquiry I personally found that the best carrier is Lufthansa. I'm talking about cargo option and not on board with you. Lufthansa has one of the safest records (the safest as far as I am concerned) for animal transport. They will take your dog to Frankfurt were they own a Animal Lounge facilities and from there off to destination.
    My customer dog arrived safe and sound and we never regretted the choice. Also a couple of my friends last year relocated to Buenos Aires and they have two dogs one of which is paralysed. They too used Lufthansa and both the dogs arrived safely to destination. The down side of using a good carrier is the cost. To send the dog to San Francisco (it's a Irish Terrier) it costed over twelve hundred euro. In Dublin Lufthansa has an Agent for the cargo business, it's Multi cargo Ltd www.multicargo.ie Best of luck with your trip.

Advertisement