Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum standards for work uniforms

• 01-12-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where I can find the legal requirements of work uniforms in Ireland?

It's not to do with the safety side but more of the "amount of body showing" type area I'm looking for?

If anyone has any details that could help it would be greatly accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mikros

There's no legal specification for what a work uniform is - how could there be with the variety of different industries and jobs out there? Any legal requirements that might be applicable would be around health and safety concerns, for example if you were exposed to splashes of chemicals the uniform would provide sufficient protection. I have a feeling "amount of body showing" is more related to appearance though than the actual functionality - please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Yes you are correct about less clothing purely being for appearance purposes. It would be for work in a bar type environment and the female staff would wearing slightly less clothes than your typical uniform.

The question was meant to be is there a minimum amount of clothes one must wear as a uniform or is it if the employee is comfortable with it eg a small tank top and a pair of hot pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Yes you are correct about less clothing purely being for appearance purposes. It would be for work in a bar type environment and the female staff would wearing slightly less clothes than your typical uniform.

The question was meant to be is there a minimum amount of clothes one must wear as a uniform or is it if the employee is comfortable with it eg a small tank top and a pair of hot pants.

Surely it would be the employer who decides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Doyler92 wrote: »

Are you asking because you are uncomfortable about being asked to wear too little or because you're afraid that some official will prosecute you for not wearing enough clothes?

If the boss asks you to serve at tables wearing a bra and bikini and you're happy with that, the law has no issue with that setup. There is no 'minimum' though serving in the nude or topless may encounter issues under the category of 'public decency'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Oh joy please let this be thread about the legalities of the Bunny Girl uniform. :pac:

I don't think you're approaching this from the right angle OP I think it might be better approached, possibly, from a sexual harassment point of view. While I understand there is a serious element to your thread, if you've got it, flaunt it ;)

Either that or http://www.workplacerelations.ie/ or make an appointment with www.flac.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mikros

The employer is entitled to set any dress code they want, as long as it does not unfairly discriminate amongst employees - subject to certain exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Also could you please PM me the details of this establishment if it's in Dublin? :pac:

I would like to thank all who posted in this thread.

I think my question has been answered.

Also the establishment is in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was an old case where someone sued the Revenue to allowed set off the cost of work clothes (not a uniform) against tax. No doubt an accountant trying to set off the cost of his 3-piece suites(!). The (no doubt, elderly and cranky) judge held that they weren't a legitimate expense for tax purposes, as one needed to wear clothes anyway for modesty purposes. There is a general rules that uniforms and health and safety wear are allowed set off the cost of work clothes against tax. There could be the argument that a uniform should also be for modesty purposes.

From the H&S point of view, what is the risk of staff being harassed for wearing skimpy outfits?

From a contract point of view, what was the uniform at the time employment commenced? And how different is the current one?

Would the clothing risk a case under the Employment Equality Acts - one can imagine a strict Presbyterian objecting to having to wear one.

If alcohol is sold on the premises, is there a risk of the property being viewed as a disorderly premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Victor wrote: »
    There was an old case where someone sued the Revenue to allowed set off the cost of work clothes (not a uniform) against tax. No doubt an accountant trying to set off the cost of his 3-piece suites(!). The (no doubt, elderly and cranky) judge held that they weren't a legitimate expense for tax purposes, as one needed to wear clothes anyway for modesty purposes. There is a general rules that uniforms and health and safety wear are allowed set off the cost of work clothes against tax. There could be the argument that a uniform should also be for modesty purposes.

From the H&S point of view, what is the risk of staff being harassed for wearing skimpy outfits?

From a contract point of view, what was the uniform at the time employment commenced? And how different is the current one?

Would the clothing risk a case under the Employment Equality Acts - one can imagine a strict Presbyterian objecting to having to wear one.

If alcohol is sold on the premises, is there a risk of the property being viewed as a disorderly premises?

http://swarb.co.uk/mallalieu-v-drummond-ca-1983/ it was her clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

No doubt an accountant trying to set off the cost of his 3-piece suites(!).

Well trying to claim tax back on an armchair and two couches is taking the piss to be fair.

I don't really think H&S can come down to the appearance of the uniform really. I understand where you're coming from but I don't think you can make a direct correlation between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, if there is cooking / food service, appropriate clothing may be needed to keep food away from the skin.

There will be no food in the premises, only alcohol.

Advertisement