Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY - Panel Change query

Options
  • 01-12-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

changing my old HKC panel for a 1070.

Will be powering down mains to it and also disconnecting the backup battery in the main panle.

Will my external bell then go off?
    If yes, whats the best way to stop this happening while I replace the panel?
    Don't want to annnoy the neighbours while doing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

fergalom wrote: »
    changing my old HKC panel for a 1070.

Will be powering down mains to it and also disconnecting the backup battery in the main panle.

Will my external bell then go off?
    If yes, whats the best way to stop this happening while I replace the panel?
    Don't want to annnoy the neighbours while doing this.

The external bell should go off when you down power the system completely.
    Most of them have a timer that cuts them off after a set time ringing.
    If you wanted you could go up and disconnect the back up battery in the external bell to turn it off till you are ready to power your new alarm system up.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

Thanks Altor.
    Access to bell is a problem - need to borrow ladders etc.

Is there anything temporary I can do at the control panel to avoid the bell going off for a while?

What about the BHO in the panel - anything I can do there with the disconnected wires?

I know I have an answer above, just trying not to have the bell go off without accessing the bell outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks Altor.
    Access to bell is a problem - need to borrow ladders etc.

Is there anything temporary I can do at the control panel to avoid the bell going off for a while?

What about the BHO in the panel - anything I can do there with the disconnected wires?

I know I have an answer above, just trying not to have the bell go off without accessing the bell outside.

No, you would need to get at the bell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just let it run down .Its only going to be 15-20 minutes unless its a really old bell.

Thanks Altor & Koolkid.

Final Question I hope!
    I have a Siemens SPC 5320 which I want to fit and wire the existing wiring to it.
    2 zones are Inertia and magnetic
    2 zones upstairs are Inertia only
    1 zone are front/back doors.
    1 zone PIR

On my existing panel, old 6 zone HKC, 4 terminals per zone (zone & tamper)
    Tampers linked on some and wired on others.

Looking at the SPC, 8 inputs and shared commons - 2 terminals.

Question is how do I best wire in my existing wired inertias/contacts?
    (In the process of reading the manual but thought I would get best advice here)

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor & Koolkid.

Final Question I hope!
    I have a Siemens SPC 5320 which I want to fit and wire the existing wiring to it.
    2 zones are Inertia and magnetic
    2 zones upstairs are Inertia only
    1 zone are front/back doors.
    1 zone PIR

On my existing panel, old 6 zone HKC, 4 terminals per zone (zone & tamper)
    Tampers linked on some and wired on others.

Looking at the SPC, 8 inputs and shared commons - 2 terminals.

Question is how do I best wire in my existing wired inertias/contacts?
    (In the process of reading the manual but thought I would get best advice here)

EDIT:
    So on further reading as I understand it, I currently have Closed circuit loop wiring and I have two options for my SPC
    1. Use the CCL and just connect the tampers to the 2 x global tampers on the SPC panel splitting upstairs from downstairs.
    2. Do some re-wiring and placing of resistors across inertias / MCs and wire tampers in series to get Dual End of Line wiring not forgetting my end of line resistor.

Does this sound about right?
    I can get up and running with option 1 easily and then plan option 2 in due course.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All correct there.
    Also with SPC there is a common negative for every 2 zones.
    So basically if you have a red & black for zone 1 & 2 you could wire the 2 blacks to C & the red for each zone into 1 & 2 respectively.
    What version firmware have you on your SPC panel?
    3-6-0 is now available with free cloud service giving you free remote access and free email notifications.

KoolKid wrote: »
    All correct there.
    Also with SPC there is a common negative for every 2 zones.
    So basically if you have a red & black for zone 1 & 2 you could wire the 2 blacks to C & the red for each zone into 1 & 2 respectively.
    What version firmware have you on your SPC panel?
    3-6-0 is now available with free cloud service giving you free remote access and free email notifications.

Thanks Koolkid!
    Will have to check the firmware version.
    Is there an easy way for me to source and flash the new firmware or will I need to get an alarm guy in to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

mod edit

I received a report on this that it might inform an intruder about how to silence a bell, so I removed it.

It might be either way, I know the post was written with good intentions, but i removed it and don't really want a mad debate about it please. The intended user got the information etc.

thanks all

regards

Stoner

Thanks Koolkid!
    Will have to check the firmware version.
    Is there an easy way for me to source and flash the new firmware or will I need to get an alarm guy in to do it?

Your panel would have version 3.4.5 or lower.
    3.6.0 would not be shipping with panels yet.
    You would need engineer access and either browser access or a fast programmer to upgrade the firmware.

• Advertisement

Thanks but for the record, that info doesn't work for my particular situation!
    stuartkee wrote: »
    mod edit

I received a report on this that it might inform an intruder about how to silence a bell, so I removed it.

It might be either way, I know the post was written with good intentions, but i removed it and don't really want a mad debate about it please. The intended user got the information etc.

thanks all

regards

Stoner

Advertisement