Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33N nightlink or taxi from City center to Lusk?

Options
  • 01-12-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just moved to Lusk and my xmas party is approaching. I'm trying to figure out the best way home after a few pints and some turkey, probably around 2am.

33N? How long does it take and how reliable is it?
    Taxi? How much would it be and would a taxi driver refuse to take you that far?

Last train is 23:30 so that's not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Nitelink all the way! There's one at 12, 2 and 4am. They're very reliable. They take longer than they used to because for some unknown reason they call at the airport.... It's usually 30-40 mins to lusk but if it's busy around Xmas then expect it to take maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer.

A taxi cannot refuse to take you, it usually costs about 40 euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Thanks Charlie, I might just give the nightlink a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Use a LEAP card too - only €5 compared to €6.50 cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Nitelink all the way! There's one at 12, 2 and 4am. They're very reliable. They take longer than they used to because for some unknown reason they call at the airport.... It's usually 30-40 mins to lusk but if it's busy around Xmas then expect it to take maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer.

A taxi cannot refuse to take you, it usually costs about 40 euro though.
    because nobody would be working at the airport working shifts or anything late in the night?

Awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

because nobody would be working at the airport working shifts or anything late in the night?

Can't say I've ever seen anybody get on or off at the airport.

I am sure it's used the odd time. The 33 doesn't service the airport during the day though, it doesn't service the staff then, so it is rather weird that it goes there at night. Last thing you want is to be cruising around the airport at 4.30am when you just want to be in bed with your curry chips/pizza/hunky dorys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Taxi is closer to 50 any time I got one from around Grattan Bridge. More from over on the southside proper.

33n is grand apart from the airport detour...

The only time I saw anyone use that stop was after a u2 gig in Croker, 3 english lads in jeans and t-shirts got off to get an early flight home...

I think I'll take the hit and get the bus home for a fiver. Don't fancy paying 50 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Nitelink all the way, give yourself time to hit KFC first so you've a bit of soakage for the journey home. Oh and don't go waking up in Balbriggan, apparently it happens a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Forget the 33n and take the 41n, get off at Swords, grab a kebab, grab a taxi to Lusk, eat the kebab in comfort at home!

Added extra if you fall asleep. you won't wake up miles past in Balbriggan

Added extra extra, theres a bus at 1.00 and 3.00,

Added extra, extra, extra unless you fall asleep on the 2.00 and wake up in Portrane, but if you're nice to the driver he'll drop you back in Donabate or Swords

Have a good Christmas and don't forget to tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Can't get the nitelink. Tried it once and had to get off at the canal. .....I was bursting. Bus driver was in stitches laughing at me and just my luck garda everywhere searching the area.

markad1 wrote: »
    Can't get the nitelink. Tried it once and had to get off at the canal. .....I was bursting. Bus driver was in stitches laughing at me and just my luck garda everywhere searching the area.

Any truth in people just taking a piss on the topdeck? not you but just generally, I have heard you can be unlucky and get some right bollixs on the night link

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Any truth in people just taking a piss on the topdeck? not you but just generally, I have heard you can be unlucky and get some right bollixs on the night link

Don't know only got it the once :-D

I usually sit downstairs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

, I have heard you can be unlucky and get some right bollixs on the night link
    This could be the case for any bus in Dublin to be fair. Doesn't have to be a nitelink.

But to add my tuppence, never had any issue with the nitelink. Definitely better than forking out for taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

This could be the case for any bus in Dublin to be fair. Doesn't have to be a nitelink.

But to add my tuppence, never had any issue with the nitelink. Definitely better than forking out for taxi.

Would definitely recommend the nitelink. From memory, I think it's only the 4am one that stops in the airport. Set the alarm on your phone in case you fall asleep in Skerries and have to pay for a taxi from there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's just nonsense frankly.

In all the years I've taken Nitelinks, I've never any seen any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Welcome to Lusk slinky2000. Have been getting the 33N for years and never seen any trouble (well once I had to rescue a girl getting some sleazy crap off some d1ckheads). It can take an age so make sure the tanks are empty when you get on! Eddie Rockets in Swords is pretty tempting and open late...be strong. Getting old now so tend to have a last pint in brew Dock and get the last train and walk back to clear the head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sklarker wrote: »
    Getting old now so tend to have a last pint in brew Dock and get the last train and walk back to clear the head :)

Love the last train. Toilets. Time for drinking water for hangover prevention. I wish they had late night trains over crimbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

On the nitelink home. Some scumbag just threw up his nights worth of drink. Just missed my jacket (he was sitting behind me) but my shoes are fairly messy. Disgusting isn't the word. First time I've ever experienced this though.

On the nitelink home. Some scumbag just threw up his nights worth of drink. Just missed my jacket (he was sitting behind me) but my shoes are fairly messy. Disgusting isn't the word. First time I've ever experienced this though.

Could happen in a taxi too to be fair, but at least you'd know who's vomit was dripping off your coat.

OP Seems like it's pays yer money and takes yer choice, do let us know which way you went and how you got on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

no service sunday or Monday to wednes day only Friday Saturday

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/your-journey1/timetables/all-timetables/33n-revised-times/

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

A taxi cannot refuse to take you

Yes they can refuse to take a fare.

Section 23 (2), (a) through (e)

The OP was asking about refusal because of the distance, and according to the regulations you posted, they can't, it's less than 30km.

Yes I was asking more on the terms of distance. I presumed some taxis wouldn't want to go that far away from the city especially at that time of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 paulod123

Don't fall asleep!
    Speaking from experience last Christmas Bus went from Balbriggan back into Drumcondra where the driver called the Cops to clear
    the Bus of about 20 sleepers. Don't know why he just could not have let a shout in Balbriggan that that was the last stop.
    Also jacket was robbed on the top deck so keep Jacket on and all valuables in your jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

They'll sometimes also try saying it's a set rate and tell you a higher rate than the meter would be. I'd one guy years ago start getting a bit aggressive about it being a set rate (€60 about ten years ago), as we were only coming up Pearse St, I helpfully suggest he pull in and I'd check in the Garda Station if it was a set rate. I've never seen a taxi pull in so fast to let someone out!

A completely different driver explained to me, that they make a lot more at the weekend doing short runs in and out of town then a one run where they won't pick anyone up on the way back in.

So I'm on the 2am 33n now. I sat in the lower deck, the bus is pretty full but not surprising that's it's the weekend before Xmas. Half the people are asleep and the lad opposite me smells of ****e. I mean really smells. Just goin along Dromcondra now, I think I'll move when we stop at the airport.

• Advertisement

Off the bus in lusk and walking to the house. €5 well spent. 40min in total and an easy trip. Definately get it again in future. Just avoid the weirdos.

Advertisement