Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air travel for a 7 Year old. Ireland to UK.

Options
  • 01-12-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Folks, looking for help/idea's. My daughter needs to travel from Cork to London on a regular basis but I need someone to accompany her as she is only 7. I live near London Gatwick and she lives near Cork Airport. Has anyone else experience in making this work? Is there a service that you could pay for where she would be accompanied on flights and dropped off/met at security?? None of the airlines seem to offer this service on flights between Ireland and the UK.
    I've placed adverts to see if I could find someone trustworthy who makes this trip on a regular basis but unfortunately it would need to be someone who travels at the weekend (Friday to Sunday) cork to gatwick only which is a fairly narrow search criteria. I'd appreciate any idea's or story's of similar experiences that might be of help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Doubt it will happen, good luck finding someone making the trip regularly enough that you'd trust...

Also would you expect them to do it for free? How much would you be willing to pay to ensure your daughters safety as she travels with this person?

Would it not be more economical for you to travel London-Cork and stay in a B&B?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the only airlines operating out of Cork (and Shannon to Britain/Europe) are Aer Lingus and Ryanair, which are low service airlines and they indeed dont offer what youre looking for.

From Dublin though, CityJet fly to London City and will take children unaccompanied from 5 upwards. https://www.cityjet.com/flying-with-us/before-you-fly/unaccompanied-minors/

Flybe also seem to offer the facility from Dublin to London City.
    http://www.flybe.com/children-and-infants/

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I assume you are separated and this is for access? I've a relative whose son travels to see his dad. He usually comes to collect him and travels back with him. Sometimes his mam brings him over and his dad brings him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Thanks for the input guy's. The issue is that none of the Irish carrier's will accompany a minor. And I wouldn't expect anyone to do it for free. This is a search for idea's, not a wanted advert. I see lots of people travelling the Cork route on a regular basis and its not an outlandish idea that one of them might coincide with what I need. The issue with me making both leg's of the journey is that there is only one flight per day to Cork and it's difficult to get back on the same plane for the return trip. Thanks again for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Aside from the fact that Irish carriers don't offer a suitable service... That's probably a debate for another day...

Are you as a parent seriously looking for a stranger to accompany your 7 year old girl on a flight ? Are you claiming that you are not using boards.ie to advertise for such a person ? Even though you have claimed in this thread that it is not an advert.. You have posted what can only be described as an advert in the Aviation forum and posted a similar thread in another forum also. You have come onto the Internet looking for a stranger to accompany your 7 year old girl on a flight, you plan to vet them how exactly ? Over a beer atthe airport or a phone call ? If I was your OH I would be getting onto the authorities if I had a grain of sense in my head and if I knew who you were I'd do the same myself.

Madness..

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that Irish carriers don't offer a suitable service... That's probably a debate for another day...

Are you as a parent seriously looking for a stranger to accompany your 7 year old girl on a flight ? Are you claiming that you are not using boards.ie to advertise for such a person ? Even though you have claimed in this thread that it is not an advert.. You have posted what can only be described as an advert in the Aviation forum and posted a similar thread in another forum also. You have come onto the Internet looking for a stranger to accompany your 7 year old girl on a flight, you plan to vet them how exactly ? Over a beer atthe airport or a phone call ? If I was your OH I would be getting onto the authorities if I had a grain of sense in my head and if I knew who you were I'd do the same myself.

Madness..

Thanks to Boards I have found two certified child Minder's who live in cork and travel to the UK on the dates I need and who I'm interviewing with my OH this week. Your interpretation of this is sensationalist at a minimum and ridiculous at best. If you had nothing good to offer why don't you take your keyboard warrior skill's somewhere else. Your welcome to know who I am because I have a house about 30 minutes from you and your more than welcome to vet my intentions face to face rather than misinterpreting them from behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

I'd like to thank all the genuinely helpful people who have responded in the vein the post was entered and who understand the situation.

If I could ask the Mod's to now close the thread as other than unhelpful and ill advised post's like the one above it serve's no further purpose.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Op myself and my brother travelled from Cork/Dublin to Paris every few months in the 90's for years.. Our Dad paid for a 'minder' for us when we were too young to be unaccompanied minors. Pretty sure it was through the airport! Anyway it was grand. Although we used to wreck the guys head as far as I remember.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Op myself and my brother travelled from Cork/Dublin to Paris every few months in the 90's for years.. Our Dad paid for a 'minder' for us when we were too young to be unaccompanied minors. Pretty sure it was through the airport! Anyway it was grand. Although we used to wreck the guys head as far as I remember.

I know its a lot more common than people think. My sister works for BA and its a service they offer but unfortunately there's no-one doing it between Cork and UK :-( . Maybe I should write a business plan...........:D

Advertisement