Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate of fear?

Options
  • 01-12-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Ok it is the Sunday World but is this tired lazy journalism based on on the past or have I missed something? There are of course certain issues to a social housing project of this size but to the extent as expressed in this article...? After all it is a former Blackrock resident that is incarcerated for "paramilitary connections" and allegedly to the single worst atrocity in modern Irish political history. Arson and gun attacks can happen anywhere in any town - a tragic example occured in Lis na Dara a number of years ago. The old phrase rolled out at this tye of discussion is 'theres some lovely people living there', which I always found a bit patronising tbh. There are lovely people living in any area as there are dirtbags! I dont live in Muirhevna Mor so is there more to this sweeping commentary than I'm aware of?

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/crime-desk/estate-of-fear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Ok it is the Sunday World but is this tired lazy journalism?

Indeed, and yes of course. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

I don't live in either areas but live close to one.

Wasn't the shooting in Lis Na Dara an act of passion / broken heart?

I didn't think the arson gun attacks were the same type of act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

There is about three or four families and a handful of scumbags that if removed would eliminate most of the drug dealing and crime in MMor. I'd say the same issue is true for the other estates mentioned.

I'm originally from close to MMor and have also spent a few weeks in Waterford beside the Ballybeg estate and neither are anything close to what is being made out in SW. Unfortunately crime in this country is tolerated by the judges who are completely cut off from reality and give suspended sentences and let sentences run concurrently.

Advertisement