Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

ror_74 wrote: »
    I remember joining up with different groups and everyone was complaining of hell on earth, and passing the ambulance with those chaps who crashed into the river.

But made it home in time for tea. :)

Great pics. I had 'almost' forgotten why I swore never to do it again. Thanks for the reminder.

They day before is usually sunny if anyone fancies a gentle warm up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daragh_ wrote: »
    Great pics. I had 'almost' forgotten why I swore never to do it again. Thanks for the reminder.

They day before is usually sunny if anyone fancies a gentle warm up.

Depends on who is in charge of route planning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

godtabh wrote: »
    What were the invalid entries? Those who didn't get medals?

I think I will do this this year. Might not have a lot of time to train for it but sure we'll see.

This is just my interpretation of the numbers in the PDF:
    330392.JPG

Statler wrote: »
    That indicates an almost 50/50 split between people doing the 100 and 200, certainly didn't seem like that on the day, and the Irish Times article linked earlier said very few had completed the 200 by 4pm, I presume the numbers on that list are for people who started the 200, i.e. said they would do the 200 route but then took the "feck this" option at Laragh.

If you click on the PDF and look at the raw data, it appears that the Irish Times article was wrong. But then, maybe I'm wrong - e.g. I don't know the criteria for having a 200 - rather than a 100 - in an individual entry in the PDF; is it based on preference stated @ the start or what you said when you finished? I did exclude some entries based on data which looked obviously incorrect but I suppose only those involved in the organisation can say for sure.

I personally posted a sub average result in the 200 event :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

this pic stood out for me as a good representation of much of last year. top of the wicklow gap the heavens opened, made for some sketchy descending.

X_dy-cZuvqG_TWS9jBd4njqinki2An3V7Fj2Tft-9PVy9t5dFqX4Drt-etFUaDpWETL0-Q=w1232-h782

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bad weather? Ok it rained but the tailwind on the Wicklow Gap is what I remember most from last year...Hell? No it was Heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

I should have done it in a boat last year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Signed up for next years event myself. Did it last year for the 1st time. Enjoyable event although nearly came down when a group crashed right in front of me. Also had a hairy moment descending one of the climbs when the bike suffered a speed wobble. TBH it a very doable event. I was only logging at most on average 150km a week on the road bike
    from March onwards with a couple of spin classes during the week and managed to do it in under 8.5 hours rolling time. For anyone who has not done the 200 yet its well worth giving it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    ... Also had a hairy moment descending one of the climbs when the bike suffered a speed wobble...
    Pressing both knees against the top bar will break it. (Loose grip on the bars will prevent it).

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

Pressing both knees against the top bar will break it. (Loose grip on the bars will prevent it).

I don't follow the "pressing both knees" bit.

Care to elaborate?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

godtabh wrote: »
    What were the invalid entries? Those who didn't get medals?

No no invalid entries are people who didn't pay but took a medal and left the people who did deserve a medal without one. Me bitter? No!!!

fillup wrote: »
    I don't follow the "pressing both knees" bit.

Care to elaborate?
    Cheers
    When you press both knees against the top tube, it breaks the oscillations travelling through the frame which give the wobble/vibration effect sometimes experienced on a long descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

The last time I had a wobble I was too busy trying not to sh1t myself and steer the bike that I wasn't thinking about what position my knees were in

fillup wrote: »
    The last time I had a wobble I was too busy trying not to sh1t myself and steer the bike that I wasn't thinking about what position my knees were in
    It's a vicious circle - the more you fear, the worse it gets. It seems a bit counter-intuitive but when you relax on a descent, the bike is much easier to control and you'll go faster.

On very long descents, the bitter cold at high altitude doesn't help. My first really bad wobble was on the 70km descent of the Timmelsjoch Pass (between Italy and Austria). It was the coldest I've ever been and I was shivering uncontrollably on the bike which just made me grip harder and exacerbated the wobble. Thankfully I was with another rider who knew what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

bazermc wrote: »
    No no invalid entries are people who didn't pay but took a medal and left the people who did deserve a medal without one. Me bitter? No!!!

I don't see how that could happen. I didn't get my medal until they scanned my card at the finish. I also received the meal voucher then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

This is the background picture being used on the homepage for wicklow200.ie

Come on, who's the boardsie? :)

homepage_2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Come on, who's the boardsie on a hybrid?

:pac:

(and who's the other one behind the first guy?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

One thing's for sure - that photo wasn't taken last year! The sky is the wrong colour!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I remember joining up with different groups and everyone was complaining of hell on earth, and passing the ambulance with those chaps who crashed into the river.

But made it home in time for tea. :)

Nobody actually crashed into the river. The barrier on the bridge, the boulders at the side of the road, the bog beside the boulders and the road itself yes, but nobody managed to make it as far as the river :) I know this as I have the dubious honour, as far as I'm aware, of being the first person to crash there, still have the scars on my arse to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Something to be proud off,Mr Statler!!! But Im 99% sure that persons put up reports of bodies in the river for the 2011 200,and back then no one reported this as lie's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Nobody actually crashed into the river. The barrier on the bridge, the boulders at the side of the road, the bog beside the boulders and the road itself yes, but nobody managed to make it as far as the river :) I know this as I have the dubious honour, as far as I'm aware, of being the first person to crash there, still have the scars on my arse to prove it.

OK then, Captain Buzz Killington - riverbank :p

In fairness, its more of a babbling brook than a river at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

It would have been easy enough to mistake the road for a river!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

I seem to recall someone hit the wall on the descent from the Sally Gap and went over the parapet into the river. If it's not true, it still a good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Baby due on the 6th. Very tempted to sign up, if it came before the 4th I should be ok ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

ted1 wrote: »
    Baby due on the 6th. Very tempted to sign up, if it came before the 4th I should be ok ....

Are you allowed by Doctors to cycle when 9 months pregnant????? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

OK then, Captain Buzz Killington - riverbank :p

In fairness, its more of a babbling brook than a river at that point.

Ha, was a bit more than a babbling brook that day with the rainfall!
    WAPAIC wrote: »
    I seem to recall someone hit the wall on the descent from the Sally Gap and went over the parapet into the river. If it's not true, it still a good story.

Closest to that happening that I saw was someone hitting one of the big boulders on the corner and somersaulting over it, still attached to the bike and landing in the bog. Was impressive as crashes go but the poor bastard was in a bad way afterward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Ha, was a bit more than a babbling brook that day with the rainfall!

Closest to that happening that I saw was someone hitting one of the big boulders on the corner and somersaulting over it, still attached to the bike and landing in the bog. Was impressive as crashes go but the poor bastard was in a bad way afterward.

While I didn't see any serious accidents at this spot, there were a few sliders and droppers in front and behind me alright, but going over the bridge and around the bend there were 2 lads sitting in the river covered in blood. Lovely sight altogether...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While I didn't see any serious accidents at this spot, there were a few sliders and droppers in front and behind me alright, but going over the bridge and around the bend there were 2 lads sitting in the river covered in blood. Lovely sight altogether...

Also saw a few injuries that year, but probably worth noting to those doing the course for the first time that it is safe enough if you keep within your own descending ability and don't go totally rasher on the down hills. I seem to remember a few hay bails at danger points along with much more marshalling on this descent on subsequent years. This descent was also swapped out for the Wicklow gap about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Do people follow any sort of programme when trianing for this, did the ROK and 100 2 years back but back cycling now after injury and would love a crack at the 100..thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Have to take some time out from the running so will be giving this a go. Does anyone have a link to the route?

martyoo wrote: »
    Have to take some time out from the running so will be giving this a go. Does anyone have a link to the route?

http://www.wicklow200.ie/the-2015-event/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Did they have anyone doing massage at the end of the cycle does can anyone tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Ok signed up for the WW200. Now where's the registration page for the Evil200...

Did the Greystones to Laragh section of the route yesterday. Is it 200k or 200 hills? :)

Did the Greystones to Laragh section of the route yesterday. Is it 200k or 200 hills? :)

Its December.. I'm assuming you were wearing full winter gear? (jacket, gloves, hat, overshoes etc.). Maybe your bike had mudguards, lights etc?

In July you'll be fitter and lighter. It'll be easier.. (well a little easier)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Its December.. I'm assuming you were wearing full winter gear? (jacket, gloves, hat, overshoes etc.). Maybe your bike had mudguards, lights etc?

There's an assumption about the Irish summer built in that statement that may not hold true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Sur there's no hills between Greystones and Laragh, the climbing STARTS at Laragh!! :)

Sur there's no hills between Greystones and Laragh, the climbing STARTS at Laragh!!

:eek:

Shar there's a few there around Kilmacanogue?? I think I might be in for a bit of a shock so.

Eh no I was a bit bare. Will get it kitted out properly over the Christmas break.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Planning to do this as my last BIG ride before heading to France for the Marmotte in July. How do they compare? I know Wicklow 200 is longer, has MORE individual climbs, but nothing as long as the Marmotte's climbs and nowhere near as much total vertical gain. The weather is likely to be a big difference too.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has done both. Would it be fair to say that if you can do the Wicklow 200 you can do the Marmotte? What kind of time should Wicklow 200 take you if you're aspiring to make the cut-off at the Marmotte?

My Marmotte goal will be to reach the bottom of Alpe d'Huez within the cut off, and from there, finish and get a cert. If I managed a silver medal time I'd be over the moon! My hotel is at the top of Alpe D'Huez so even if I don't make the cut-off I'll pretty much have to finish it anyway!

rb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

You can aim for what you cover in a week, on one particular event.

I haven't done the Marmotte, but have done similar and found that principle, broadly speaking, holds true.

• Advertisement

Red Belly wrote: »
    Planning to do this as my last BIG ride before heading to France for the Marmotte in July. How do they compare? I know Wicklow 200 is longer, has MORE individual climbs, but nothing as long as the Marmotte's climbs and nowhere near as much total vertical gain. The weather is likely to be a big difference too.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has done both. Would it be fair to say that if you can do the Wicklow 200 you can do the Marmotte? What kind of time should Wicklow 200 take you if you're aspiring to make the cut-off at the Marmotte?

My Marmotte goal will be to reach the bottom of Alpe d'Huez within the cut off, and from there, finish and get a cert. If I managed a silver medal time I'd be over the moon! My hotel is at the top of Alpe D'Huez so even if I don't make the cut-off I'll pretty much have to finish it anyway!

rb

Ive done both for the last 3 years..
    Yes, if you can do the WW200, you can do the Marmotte. BUT if you intend enjoying the Marmotte, you should be able to do the WW200 and feel fairly fresh at the end! If you finish the WW200 and your dead on your feet, then you could be in trouble in July.

Also, I wouldn't sit back and relx after the WW. get back out to Wicklow the next weekend and do a lumpy 150K each weekend until the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ive done both for the last 3 years..
    Yes, if you can do the WW200, you can do the Marmotte. BUT if you intend enjoying the Marmotte, you should be able to do the WW200 and feel fairly fresh at the end! If you finish the WW200 and your dead on your feet, then you could be in trouble in July.

Also, I wouldn't sit back and relx after the WW. get back out to Wicklow the next weekend and do a lumpy 150K each weekend until the end of June.

Where u staying RB? I am going as well and ur post summed up exactly want I wanted to know!
    Lapierre, what advice would you have for training between now and then? I have entered the big italian cycle up north, Wicklow and heading to mt Teide in April, all in preparation for la marmotte. Weather at the minute means I am on te turbo this past two weeks!

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Lapierre, what advice would you have for training between now and then? I have entered the big italian cycle up north, Wicklow and heading to mt Teide in April, all in preparation for la marmotte. Weather at the minute means I am on te turbo this past two weeks!

Its all about Endurance, but at this time of year, just getting out on the bike is enough. The first sign of Frost/ice, stay at home, you dont' want to risk a broken collar bone!

Start thinking about increasing your distance (100k+) around February/March ... the more hills the better.

Doing events like the Wicklow 200, Mt Teide etc. is great preparation and good motivation too.

The link below has good advise, training tips etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057044244

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Did the W200 for the first time in 2013, was dreading it before the day and didn’t sleep well (my training longest distance was ~80Km with 4000ft climbing and I was dead on my feet), Flogged myself around with the wrong gearing (Alfine hub) and had to walk parts of both the shay elliot and the one next to it. Good weather and lots of drafting though, I knew all the route from mtbing/commute except the last 30km, lost my head at glenealy thinking I was nearly back and broke my head when I saw there was still 20km left or so a bit further down the road, that savage bumpy road out of ashford killed my hands and that short sharp climb in kilcoole? broke me some more. Managed to get around in 10 hours 50mins and was in bits, but with a medal, more sleepy tired than exhausted, but still exhausted.

Swore never again as I lay there in bed at night my right hand twitching uncontrollably.

Did it again in 2014 – hadn’t trained any longer distance (time constraints) but was doing 150km a week commute, had lost weight, stopped drinking for 3 months and felt ready to hit my target of the previous year’s average 10 hours, with slighter lower gearing on the Alfine (dropped to a 20T from a 18T on the back). Then I saw the weather – I’ve always started to early and missed the queue at the first feed station, but I remember getting to Laragh and seeing the black clouds over the top of the gap and nearly everyone turning left to Rathdrum. I was sooooo close and then thought “I’ve put all this effort in, I’m not turning left now”. I don’t recall a tailwind up the Gap, but it’s grand in my lowest gear to grind up. I do recall 5 of us working together well on the N81 section trying to hit 25kph (the year before we had zipped along at 35kph) and struggling, I also recall the start of the first climb up shay elliot/slieve maan when the rain was so heavy it was like cycling in the shower, not daring to move my head in case the torrent of water decided to run into my eyes . I was well off my timeline, ave speed down around 18-19kph, ( I preferred the 2013 system of a marker every 10Km rather than the 2014 system) and struggled on, I did have to walk the bottom section of the climb out of glenmalure but managed the other climbs, slowly but managed them all. Then I got to that long descent past the tree place (Irelands arboretum?) got caught up in a fast group with the wind at our back and absolutely mullered the relatively level route back (which avoided the washboard route out of Avondale) , chuckled at the speed camera van and got back dead on 10 hours (9.15 rolling), which was nice.

Swore never to do it again.

Just signed up for 2015 (will also be signing up for the ROK to tick that box), as it’s a great motivational tool in the spring time, I’ll struggle to do 150km a week this coming year but I’m hoping for better weather to keep my time in and around the 10 hour mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the post saccades, I just signed up for this. It will be my first ever event, only been on the bike a couple of months, so it is good to hear that it can be done. And yes, I know I have filtered out all but the positives from your post, but that's just the way I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

Recommend you do at least one sportive in Wicklow if possible prior to doing the W200. It will give an idea of what the hills are like and allow you to gradually build up your distance. Last year I did the Skoda Tour of Wicklow in April (110k) and the Orwell Randonee in May (140k). There are several other events that cover the same terrain should those two not suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Lissard - great advice, will stick them on my list of to-do's, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

Thanks for the post saccades, I just signed up for this. It will be my first ever event, only been on the bike a couple of months, so it is good to hear that it can be done. And yes, I know I have filtered out all but the positives from your post, but that's just the way I am!

do the three peaks challenge if you can.... great training sportive for the W200
    this was from last june http://www.southeastroadclub.com/2014/03/serc-3-peaks-challenge-2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

zindicato wrote: »
    do the three peaks challenge if you can.... great training sportive for the W200
    this was from last june http://www.southeastroadclub.com/2014/03/serc-3-peaks-challenge-2014/

The above event is on in April and just to second the above comment great route really let's you know how you winter training has gone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

/me puts on list.

Let's hope there's a tailwind on the Wicklow Gap this year....

http://youtu.be/5Ys3ixek-0g

• Advertisement
Advertisement