Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

With that wind it's hard to get any gentle spin. Half thinking of just taking the dog for a brisk walk Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday and leave it at that, or maybe do a couple of hours on the turbo at a gentle pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

oconnpad wrote: »
    What type of spins are people planning this week in the lead up to this?

Staying off the bike completely
    gently leg spinners
    full on power rides and i'll deal with Sunday when it happens

A gentle leg spinner tomorrow and that will be it till Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Much the same as above. Either a high Cadence 70k or a quick climb and descend on the MTB tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

sorry, my bad. i wasnt aware of the split. forget my earlier, Steroo. do what fillup says!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

fillup wrote: »
    it doesn't work that way Bloggsie. The 100 & 200 split at Laragh so if Steroo wants to do the 200 he'll have to commit at Laragh.

Personally I think you're better off doing the 100 and push out the bigger distances for the RoK.

From what your post says it sounds like you haven't done a lot of climbing and I really wouldn't underestimate the demands of the Wicklow Hills.
    You could end up doing your self an injury or putting yourself off cycling by jumping in at the deep end with the 200.

Tog Go Bog E as they in the West, enjoy the 100 and you'll p1ss around the ring (feck all climbing on that one!)

Thanks - I'll go with that I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cantdoit wrote: »
    Do the roving mechanics assist with punctures if anyone is to cold or knackered to manage it themselves...
    You'd be expected to deal with punctures yourself. Mechanical assistance calls are prioritised and they are more likely to attend to those with major mechanicals first. Unless you shred a tyre or something, I wouldn't be depending on them. Other cyclists will assist you if required. Just raise your hand as they pass to indicate that you're in difficulty (but for safety, don't do it on a descent or a very steep ascent - walk to a safe place first.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

oconnpad wrote: »
    What type of spins are people planning this week in the lead up to this?

Staying off the bike completely
    gently leg spinners
    full on power rides and i'll deal with Sunday when it happens

70 odd easy, flattish tomoro, then maybe an hour on the exercise bike Friday at sod all effort.
    Pure science eh!
    Did sod all over the Bank Holiday weekend as I wasn't feeling great, bit disappointed with that.

According to Met Eireann "Sunday will be mainly dry with sunny spells and light breezes. There may be one or two showers near northwest and north coasts. Highest temperatures of 13 to 16 degrees. "

I know that it is early days but here's hoping !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Euro Fred

According to Met Eireann "Sunday will be mainly dry with sunny spells and light breezes. There may be one or two showers near northwest and north coasts. Highest temperatures of 13 to 16 degrees. "

I have been using this website recently and its been spot on for rain

just click on "3-7 days forecast" on the left hand side

http://http://www.meteox.co.uk/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=7&type=zoom&x=37&y=37&overrule=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I dont trust Met Eireann one single bit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2964574

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/County_Wicklow~2960935/

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »

In fairness those 2 sites just confirm exactly what Met Eireann is saying, so happy days !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

2011 was a grim year indeed.

ah, 2011. My one and only entry before moving abroad. It wasn't that bad :pac:

I did stop for 30 mins at the second food point to sit in the wifes car with the heater on full bore though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So expect gale force winds and hailstones ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

2011 was horrendous. My single worst day on a bike in my entire life. I got home that day, threw the bike in the shed and refused to look at it for 2 weeks after. On the plus side it has become a useful bench mark. Any spin I have done since in bad weather I always say "ah, it's not as bad as the 200 of 2011"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So lads are tapering down big time then? I've a 50km race tonight, hills tomorrow night and doing a TT on Saturday... Might end up blowing the gasket!

yop wrote: »
    So lads are tapering down big time then? I've a 50km race tonight, hills tomorrow night and doing a TT on Saturday... Might end up blowing the gasket!

Better off just keeping the TT going overnight Saturday and straight into the 200 :) No Need for Sleep !!!

70k tonight High Cadence.

Thinking of a leisurely 50k hills on Saturday. Havent quite made the mind up !

So lads are tapering down big time then?...
    Couldn't get out Mon or Tue due to work/family. Was going to go out tonight but marshalling and don't have time to cycle to the race. Might get out Thur and Fri. I was considering doing the Boards.ie Evil 200 on Saturday but it would be unfair to be away for 2 full days at the weekend.

So all said, even with the WW200, I'll be below average this week. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

60km tonight, race training tomorrow night and then a gentle 40km on either friday night or saturday morning. Check over the bike etc. Confident of getting around no problem though I won't be break any records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

About 70k last night with plenty of hills. Won't get a chance to be on the bike again until Sunday 7am. Have to go to a dinner dance Saturday night which is not ideal prep. Plan to stop drinking at 11 and be home by midnight.

Now for a serious question. Shorts or bibtights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Couldn't get out Mon or Tue due to work/family. Was going to go out tonight but marshalling and don't have time to cycle to the race. Might get out Thur and Fri. I was considering doing the Boards.ie Evil 200 on Saturday but it would be unfair to be away for 2 full days at the weekend.

So all said, even with the WW200, I'll be below average this week. :(
    Your average week is about the same as a month for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Doc07 wrote: »
    About 70k last night with plenty of hills. Won't get a chance to be on the bike again until Sunday 7am. Have to go to a dinner dance Saturday night which is not ideal prep. Plan to stop drinking at 11 and be home by midnight.

Now for a serious question. Shorts or bibtights?

Shorts or pints more like! :D

Im going for shorts, jersey, arm warmers, light jacket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Doing the 100km on Sunday
    Hoping the weather is better than the Skoda tour of Wicklow.
    Still makes me wince when I think of the cold and hardship endured on that one.

Haven't been able to get out on the bike in a week, may do 50km tomorrow and 50-70 on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

Haven't been able to get out on the bike in a week, may do 50km tomorrow and 50-70 on Saturday

Would the general wisdom not be to have your prep finished and be resting from now until Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Would the general wisdom not be to have your prep finished and be resting from now until Sunday?

Possibly, but 100km is a fairly easy spin for me at this stage having done a few 160s and 180s.

Just didn't feel ready for the 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DS2013

I am doing the 100 for the first time in Sunday. Planning to bring two spare tubes, tyre levers, plenty of food and water. Weather looks ok at this stage so will probably just bring a light jacket. Anyone with experience think I need anything else with me.

DS2013 wrote: »
    I am doing the 100 for the first time in Sunday. Planning to bring two spare tubes, tyre levers, plenty of food and water. Weather looks ok at this stage so will probably just bring a light jacket. Anyone with experience think I need anything else with me.

In my opinion, you have everything pretty much covered. No need to go overboard on the 100 as the Rathdrum stop is around 45/50km so you can have a bite to eat there, if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Possibly a bike as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Euro Fred

Possibly a bike as well :)

Do we need lights? #marginalgains

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Do we need lights? #marginalgains

no no, they would just slow you down #marginallosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Some guy in work today told me the Wicklow 200 was a "Piece of Piss", I'm petrified, my goal is to just finish it, 9 hours rolling time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Snako wrote: »
    Some guy in work today told me the Wicklow 200 was a "Piece of Piss", I'm petrified, my goal is to just finish it, 9 hours rolling time. :(
    That person has probably finished the Mick Byrne last weekend, if he did, then he is correct.

Mini-pump. ;)

I wouldn't bother with carrying food myself as there are foodstops
    Luxman wrote: »
    That person has probably finished the Mick Byrne last weekend, if he did, then he is correct.
    ....or is doing the Boards.ie Evil 200 so the WW200 is just a next day recovery ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Mini-pump. ;)

Move with the times....http://www.uride.gr/products_img/1520.jpg

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It's all Greek to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Best of luck to everyone doing the WW200/100..

A few tips:

Check your bike this evening (if you haven't done so already)and replace worn brake pads and tyres. (Don't leave it until the night before)

Make sure the derailleurs are working..especially your Lowest gear

And Don't forget...

Put your gel wrappers back in your pocket!
    Wicklow is beautiful... keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

My first time on it killed me. Totally unprepared.
    Last year I got it done in just under 8 hours, it was still rough though.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bitzer

I know this is a bit of a long shot but if anyone has an unwanted entry I'd take it off your hands 087 2581878 Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    My first time on it killed me. Totally unprepared.
    Last year I got it done in just under 8 hours, it was still rough though.
    Best of luck.

The more of this I read the more I'm leaning toward the 100 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

News alert, the guy in work, he's a d1ck.

There is a massive range of ability/fitness/experience of people in lycra on their bikes every day, and that is also mirrored on here.

Being new to cycling, the nice thing I have found is that people are generally encouraging and welcoming. This forum also reflects this, even the strongest/longest riders understand this, and try to participate constructively. Some of the best posts are guys who have not exercised in years and manage a gut wrenching 5km as their first time back in the saddle in years.

I'm anxious too about finishing, or how hard it's going to be. Take the advice given about eating, drinking, taking your time, and you should be fine.

So the guy in work should speak to Wishone Ash or some of the other "nutters" on here, they'd put him in his place I'm sure. There's always someone weaker/stronger, slower/faster etc than you, most decent people respect the various groups and don't come out with inane statements like "its a piece of piss"...

Any 200km would never be a piece of piss. Depends on how hard you push yourself all the same. You could find it harder doing the 100km flat out than doing the 200km at an easy pace.

They need to check his piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

News alert, the guy in work, he's a d1ck.

There is a massive range of ability/fitness/experience of people in lycra on their bikes every day, and that is also mirrored on here.

Being new to cycling, the nice thing I have found is that people are generally encouraging and welcoming. This forum also reflects this, even the strongest/longest riders understand this, and try to participate constructively. Some of the best posts are guys who have not exercised in years and manage a gut wrenching 5km as their first time back in the saddle in years.

I'm anxious too about finishing, or how hard it's going to be. Take the advice given about eating, drinking, taking your time, and you should be fine.

So the guy in work should speak to Wishone Ash or some of the other "nutters" on here, they'd put him in his place I'm sure. There's always someone weaker/stronger, slower/faster etc than you, most decent people respect the various groups and don't come out with inane statements like "its a piece of piss"...

Just to add to this. Pace yourself and get in the correct pace group. If its breezy ride in the slipstream to reduce effort. But take your turn up front or it will be frowned upon. Don't worry about the event. Its meant to be enjoyable. The food stops will make it seem shorter and less daunting. I did my first WW200 last year with little training. My longest spin coming up to it was 80km and this year its 70km. I got around in sub 8.5 hours then and hope to do better this year. Its more a mind over matter thing with these endurance events the same as Marathons although training properly does help. Enjoy the day and the camaraderie. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The more of this I read the more I'm leaning toward the 100 :(

Do Not lean. I posted a few weeks back about how this thread takes the same route every year. Its your head thats leaning not your Heart and Legs. You have posted here enough for us to know you have the hours and miles in the bank. Your heart will keep pumping and your legs will keep turning the pedals because you have trained for this.
    If you do the 100 and find it easy you have 12 months to wait. If you do the 200 and struggle and suffer and complete you have a week of being sore and a summer of benifit.

go neiri an bothar leat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

Possibly, but 100km is a fairly easy spin for me at this stage having done a few 160s and 180s.

Just didn't feel ready for the 200.

Bring a few extra gels and if you're feeling good after 50km you could go for the 200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Im going for shorts, jersey, arm warmers, light jacket!

I have decided I will be doing this in the "unofficial" boards.ie kit*. :pac:

It's quite comfy.

With leg and arm warmers to start off.

Right... i'm off to lose grammes...

*20 euro to a charity of your choice if someone gets that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

"unofficial" boards.ie kit

You'll be the only chap in the whole bunch having a smoke on food stops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'd wondered if I'd be fit enough for this year's event, probably not but won't be able to make the date regardless.

The 100 doesn't feel like it would be much of an achievement.

I'd wondered if I'd be fit enough for this year's event, probably not but won't be able to make the date regardless.

The 100 doesn't feel like it would be much of an achievement.

It's more of an achievement than sitting on your couch would be! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement