Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Secrets (not really secret just unknown)

Options
  • 01-12-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone got any hidden secrets about Ireland not really secrets cause it ain't a secret if you tell everyone but things not really known?

Example the bunker buried underneath. Merrion square. Or the secret society that was based on Stevens green, or forgotten parts of history like the Dail was a private house originally then home to the rds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well it's a secret that somebody might know the answer to, but none of us do, that's for sure. What happened to my Uncle Jem Keegan back in the middle 1950's?

He just walked out of the house in Kilcoole and was never seen again.

Somebody must know something...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TM1000 wrote: »
    Anyone got any hidden secrets about Ireland not really secrets cause it ain't a secret if you tell everyone but things not really known?

Example the bunker buried underneath. Merrion square. Or the secret society that was based on Stevens green, or forgotten parts of history like the Dail was a private house originally then home to the rds?
    It was a private house that faced the other way to how it's used now.

Merrion St. was the front garden, Kildare St would have been the back gate.

Same for Áras an Úachtaráin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

tac foley wrote: »
    Well it's a secret that somebody might know the answer to, but none of us do, that's for sure. What happened to my Uncle Jem Keegan back in the middle 1950's?

tac

Kilcoole is just down the rd from me tac..interesting story..any more details?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Actually Leinster House was designed with 2 fronts - a town side and a country side. I would have thought it was pretty much common knowledge that it was the Earl of Kildare's (later Duke of Leinster) town house.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/tour/kildare.asp

I like the fact that they originally only rented it from the Royal Dublin Society for use as the Dáil while waiting for the British Army to vacate the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham. But the army took far too long to get out (more than 2 years after independence) and the Dáil was comfortable. The RHK would have been a much better site, lots of space around it for expansion.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Apologies for mis-reading the intention of the thread. I misunderstood in thinking that perhaps it was personal mysteries that were still mysteries, and not those of significant historical interest.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

The underground government bunker in Athlone built in case of nuclear war

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The submarine base in Lough Swilly that has a cage for the Loch Ness monster

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

tac foley wrote: »

tac

from the little cottage where nettles keegan resided?
    strange thing to happen alright i must ask my dad he would remember.

@2.8trooper - are you thinking about Ollie who used to live just down the Sea Road? It wasn't him. We used to have some facinating chats with him, bless him. although he admitted to keeping spuds in the bath, he knew his way around London as well as any London taxi driver - in fact, I thought at one time that he might have actually been a taxi-cab driver in London, with the 'knowledge' that he had. I often wonder what happened to him to make him the way he was when I knew him. Living in London at the time when we used to come over, I found him fascinating to talk to - others used to take the **** out of him unmercifully.

One of the souls that life seemed to have passed by, him.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

no it wasn't he who i was thinking off,nettles keegan lived in a cottage near pretty bush,no longer there it was demolished to make way for the new charlesland development roundabout.
    his son is a reporter on rte,and aa road watch,i thought maybe jem was from the same family.
    my dad is from knock roe not far from pretty bush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

The leper colony that was isolated from the outside world near trinity college, think it was 16th century or something.

2.8trooper wrote: »
    no it wasn't he who i was thinking off,nettles keegan lived in a cottage near pretty bush,no longer there it was demolished to make way for the new charlesland development roundabout.
    his son is a reporter on rte,and aa road watch,i thought maybe jem was from the same family.
    my dad is from knock roe not far from pretty bush.

Well, OUR little cottage, just off the High Street, was demolished so they could develop the land into what is now the Kilcoole Pharmacy....

I often wonder about Ollie, though. He sure was an enigma for us kids.

Slightly OT, but after all these years I can smell the clean smell inside O'Tooles, and see TWO-penny bars of chocolate, carefully annunciated by Mr O'Toole.

And the beautiful Annette Gammell, where are you?

tac

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The burning of Duckett's Grove, Co. Carlow
    The "missing postman" in Co. Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The persistent myth that Strongbow's Horse is buried in the Deer park, South County Dublin.

It is accepted as a matter of local record by generations of residents, but nobody knows the origins of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

The burning of Duckett's Grove, Co. Carlow
    The "missing postman" in Co. Waterford.

wasnt it the IRA who burnt down Duckett's Grove?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No, the IRA had nothing to do with it, even though they had occupied it earlier and used some of the statues for target practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

No, the IRA had nothing to do with it, even though they had occupied it earlier and used some of the statues for target practice.

hmmmm, it appears you might be right!
    Had a quick look around and there is no direct evidence linking them to it.

Here is a cool photo http://irishvolunteers.org/2012/03/the-volunteers-irish-citizen-army-ira-cumman-na-mban-photo-file/i-r-a-training-camp-at-duckett%E2%80%99s-grove-during-the-1920%E2%80%99s-l-to-r-unknown-liam-stack-oc-carlow-brigade-james-byrne-adjutant-carlow-brigade/

It went on fire before it was burnt down, but locals put it out, the second time, however, it did burn down.

Advertisement