Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this doable?

• 01-12-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Lookng at ebay it appears to be possibleto buy a lightly used tiagra 4600 groupset for a reasonable price (possibly on adverts.ie too I guess).
    I was thinking of buying one to upgrade my sons bike, a Vitus Razor, to 10 speed.

Looking at the bike spec, the area of concern (apart from me not having a clue :( ) is that the bottom bracket is a square taper BSA type.

Does that mean that the bike wouldn't fit the tiagra standard bottom bracket?

Second concern is, given that I am not confident on the mechanics, any idea how much it would cost for someone to fit a groupset, if I did manage to source one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That bike has a square taper BB. Tiagra has an external type BB. So, you would have to change the bottom bracket, which is not a big job, if you have the correct tools. You will need one tool to take out the original BB, and a separate tool to instal the new BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

So to follow up on this, I eventually picked up a year-old and very clean tiagra compact group set for a decent price on eBay. Filled missing parts(tiagra cassette and bb cups) from CRC in their sale and LBS was happy and very reasonable to do the work. Given I had none of the necessary tools and would have had to buy them it was probably cheaper to go that route even before allowing for my mechanical klutziness!
    LBS was Full Cycle in Mulhuddart, thought they were very prompt and good value and did a nice job.
    Mods, hope it is OK to mention LBS by name (I have no connection other than as satisfied customer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Do you mind me asking how much it cost you all in?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Do you mind me asking how much it cost you all in?
    No issue on letting you know costs of what I bought on ebay or CRC but not sure if it would be good practise to quote what LBS charged for labour as it is depending on amount of labour and in my case no complications arose (such as difficulty in swapping BBs etc).
    Groupset from eBay cost £stg100, plus £10 postage, that was shifters, cranks, front and rear mech, was in lightly used condition.
    Tiagra Cassette and BB cost €28 from CRC. Probably could have picked these up used on eBay too but CRC sale price for new was pretty good.
    Tiagra chain from LBS was €20.
    Then labour incl new cables and bar tape.
    Perhaps you could PM me and I'll let you know labour cost.

One tip I would pass on from the eBay point of view is that there is a lot of individuals selling stuff on eBay in UK who will post to UK only, especially for large items like groupsets etc, these won't show up if you look on ebay.ie. I searched eBay.co.uk and used parcelmotel so there tends to be a bigger selection.

Advertisement