Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cranosacrial therapy

Options
  • 01-12-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I've booked an appointment with a oestopath for this therapy for my 8 week olds. I've heard great things about it but my boyfriend has some concerns that it might not be a good idea. He thinks it might be dangerous or painful for them.

Anyone done this before and how was the outcome for you. Looking to convince him before Wednesday! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi all, I've booked an appointment with a oestopath for this therapy for my 8 week olds. I've heard great things about it but my boyfriend has some concerns that it might not be a good idea. He thinks it might be dangerous or painful for them.

Anyone done this before and how was the outcome for you. Looking to convince him before Wednesday! Thanks.

Yes we got great relief for two of my children.
    There's a thread or two here about it.

Why does he say that it's dangerous?

I had it done myself it was lovely and I felt absolutely nothing.
    It would leave one thinking that the therapist is doin nothing for an hour as opposed to carrying out something painful.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I wouldn't let anyone mess about with an infant's skull myself. The bones are not fused yet in babies, and, ya know... Their brain is right there. Talk to your GP... Or better still, a radiologist or a&e doctor about the injuries they see from these eejits "adjusting" babies. Strokes etc.

http://www.skepticalob.com/2011/02/infant-dies-after-craniosacral-therapy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I went to a craneosacral osteopath in my pregnancies and with my babies (4). They barely touch you. We'd joke that it's like magic because it doesn't look like he's doing anything at all but it makes such a difference. Obviously check out that they're properly qualified first and maybe get them to do a session on you first just to make sure there's no dodgy back cracking going on. When he did my babies he just held them with one hand supporting the neck and the other under the bottom.

My husband is a GP btw and he's happy for me and our babies to have the treatment and has had them himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

its a cod pure and simple, under no circumstance allow him to touch your childs skull, although now a days i believe they don't, they just move their hands around over your's or the child's head.

now this fact should be enough to explain why its a cod. it does work on occasion though for some people because its a placebo, you think you are getting treatment and then you feel better.

this cannot work for a baby because they don't know they are getting treatment. where you see an improvement in the baby after this treatment it reflects the perception of the parents, its the parents who are getting the placebo, they think the child is better and credit the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks all, yeah my boyfriend was hesitant to let anyone mess with the babies head. I am just searching for anything that could help. But I guess some people will try capitalise on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

do you mind if i ask what the therapy is for?, if it is a specific issue someone on here might be able to point you in the right direction. not medical advice but there is a fair bit of experience with babies on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks all, yeah my boyfriend was hesitant to let anyone mess with the babies head. I am just searching for anything that could help. But I guess some people will try capitalise on that.

What's the problem with your baby? I did 5 sessions of reflexology with one of mine as he had reflux. I don't really think it helped much with the reflux but he certainly enjoyed the sessions, he slept well after them, and i ended up going to the reflexologist myself at a later stage and loved it. She taught me some things i could do myself on him which i then combined with baby massage. I did baby massage with both as i enjoyed it so much as a way to meet other mums and both babys seemed to enjoy it and sleep well after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

It definitely worked on my little boy. He had a very tight muscle in his face making it very difficult for him to feed and made him exhausted doing so. We went twice for an hour and the difference was amazing. He didn't have a lopsided smile anymore and feeds were down to 20 mins instead of an hour.

She never touched his skull at all. I find it hard to believe it'd help with reflux or anything like that but most definitely helped in our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

They both have colic, but my little boy screams in extreme pain for hours. His whole body contorts and he does really high pitch wails. The phn isn't really helping just told me to change formula etc. have tried all the medications- infacol, colief, gripe water, galvascon and nothing is helping him. It's so heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

They both have colic, but my little boy screams in extreme pain for hours. His whole body contorts and he does really high pitch wails. The phn isn't really helping just told me to change formula etc. have tried all the medications- infacol, colief, gripe water, galvascon and nothing is helping him. It's so heartbreaking.

Poor little one. Have you ever done baby massage? It could really help if he's in digestive discomfort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Poor mite! The thing is, colic usually starts to get much, much better around the 3 months mark - when, coincidentally, exhausted parents are usually at the "we'll try anything" stage of dealing with it. That's why people swear by all these treatments that have no basis in science - they do 6 weeks or so of trying the regular stuff, then another month of trying more off the wall stuff, then baby just starts to get better - and so the more off the wall stuff gets the credit but really it was always going to improve with time.

I think the baby massage suggestion is a great one. Hang in there. It is so awful now but it will be better, before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We had much the same trouble as you OP. I wasn't convinced it was colic as the cries weren't consistent every night but he definitely had silent reflux. I found the early weeks being at home with him incredibly difficult and after much pleading with my husband he agreed to let me take him for craniosacral therapy. I'm not a great believer in alternative therapies and I believe medication is more often than not the best cure. However, I was desperate and Public Health were more than useless. I must admit, my experience with this therapy did nothing to change my opinion. He was the exact same after having it and, if anything, more unsettled for the 24 hours immediately after.

The solution for us (and we tried everything) was lactose free formula and zantac to keep the reflux down. He was a new baby after that. Can your GP not offer you any advice? It will pass but I completely understand how desperate you must feel right now.

Advertisement