Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dryer in Boilerhouse

Options
  • 01-12-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Would the 4 core cable to boiler in boilerhouse be strong enough to run both the boiler and a spin dryer. I all ready have a light, so have live feed.

Are the cores 1.5 or 2.5 and all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Realy need a bit more info on your set up to try and help you out

No cables are not all the same csa.Could be 1.5mm or 2.5mm without a picture impossible to tell you

Is there a four core cable running direct to the boiler or is it terminated in a board and then to socket etc what size breaker is in the distribution board.

Just trying to get all the info so we can advise you correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

hard to say ...unlikely

wtf is a spin dryer anyhow?

is that a washing machine or a tumble dryer?

In my day that's what they were called:D

tumble dryer, its only a compact one, max 1600kw

wiring to boiler looks only 1.5 to me, would that be the normal generally speaking.

will put pic's up later, BB very slow.

DSC01112_zpsf236d386.jpg

WIRINGSUMMARY_zps9cfb591a.jpg

crasy dash wrote: »

Is there a four core cable running direct to the boiler or is it terminated in a board and then to socket etc what size breaker is in the distribution board.

Just trying to get all the info so we can advise you correctly

There is a mini breaker beside main house distribution board, and this is for boiler and electric shower. No idea what ratings is for these.

From this a grey cable runs to cupboard in hall which has time clock and there is a junction box below this from where the 4 core cable runs out to boilerhouse.

The grey cable is 2.5 all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Possibly voltage may be a consideratoon too, depending on distance to boiler house to your metering location. Roughly what distance is involved?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would not do it this way, seems like a gunter to me :)

2011 wrote: »

Actually the more I think about it from the boiler's point of view then its a real no no. Would defeat the purpose of boiler having its own dedicated circuit/circuit breaker.

The only simple way to power the dryer in the shed would be to run an extension lead from kitchen to shed (thru hole in wall or window frame) and just plug it in when needed. Not best practice but still.

By extension cable what I mean would be to run a 20amp 3 core pvc cable out to shed to a 3pin socket on inside wall. Fitting 3pin plug to other end of cable in kitchen to use as needed. That should be safe enough I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Actually the more I think about it from the boiler's point of view then its a real no no. Would defeat the purpose of boiler having its own dedicated circuit/circuit breaker.

The only simple way to power the dryer in the shed would be to run an extension lead from kitchen to shed (thru hole in wall or window frame) and just plug it in when needed. Not best practice but still.

By extension cable what I mean would be to run a 20amp 3 core pvc cable out to shed to a 3pin socket on inside wall. Fitting 3pin plug to other end of cable in kitchen to use as needed. That should be safe enough I reckon.

Not good practice as you said, extension lead cable would not be rated for outdoors for starters so that would have to be addressed also the cable on most extension leads is only 1.5mm flex as far as im aware (i stand to be corrected on that)

Par1 wrote: »
    Not good practice as you said, extension lead cable would not be rated for outdoors for starters so that would have to be addressed also the cable on most extension leads is only 1.5mm flex as far as im aware (i stand to be corrected on that)

true! but as posted I would be using 20am 3 core white pvc cable and not a shop bought extension lead, making my own ext lead if you like.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

danjo-xx wrote: »
    true! but as posted I would be using 20am 3 core white pvc cable and not a shop bought extension lead, making my own ext lead if you like.:)

Great idea....If you can get it - PVC cable is not rated for outdoors as far as im aware (i stand to be corrected on that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »

Its a while since I heard that phrase. Seems apt here though.

Advertisement