Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much alcohol % does 100g of dectros add to 1 litre

Options
  • 01-12-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked many times but much alcohol % does 100g of dectros add to 1 litre - I'm just looking for the rough ratio.

My research has it a 5% (not that that makes sense in real life - i get that)

Thanks,

The Duke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I got roughly 3.4%

The chemical reaction of sugar to alcohol is: C6H12O6 = 2C2H5OH + 2CO2.

So, one mole of sugar creates two moles of alcohol. One mole of sugar = roughly 342g, so 100g = 0.292 moles. So, it creates 0.584 moles of ethanol. One mole of ethanol is just over 46g, so this reaction creates 26.864g of ethanol. Ethanol has a density of 0.789 g/cm3, so that's 34.048ml. So, that in 1,000ml of solution = roughly 3.405%. That's the theoretical yield, anyway.

But, I think dextrose has 95% fermentability (compared to 99%+ of table sugar). So, that would reduce it to about 3.2%, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I got roughly 3.4%

The chemical reaction of sugar to alcohol is: C6H12O6 = 2C2H5OH + 2CO2.

Table sugar is a dimer of Sucrose and fructose =C12H22O11: 342g

Dextrose or D glucose is=C6H12O6: 180g
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    But, I think dextrose has 95% fermentability (compared to 99%+ of table sugar). So, that would reduce it to about 3.2%, maybe?

Both should be 100% fermentable, but the sucrose is going to be needed to be broken down first by the enzyme invertase to release glucose and fructose.

From a brewing prospective sucrose has a potential of 1.046 or 4.6% denser that an equivalent volume of water.

100g/L of sucrose will give a specific gravity of around 1.038 and if this fully ferments out (1.000 FG) then this will give by volume around 5% alcohol (38-0/7.46).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Brewmate reckons 4.99% for 100g of Dextrose in 1L (& exactly the same for Cane Sugar).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

loyatemu wrote: »
    Brewmate reckons 4.99% for 100g of Dextrose in 1L (& exactly the same for Cane Sugar).

"Oh, I forgot to er, carry the one." :p

unlock_professorfrink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Holy sh... where did you guys find your brains... Me mere mortal googled it...

Good to hear the ratio works....

• Advertisement
Advertisement