Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent broadband problem

Options
  • 02-12-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I am having problems with my broadband connection.

Over the last few weeks, the router's connection drops at least once a day. Both the internet and DSL light turn off on the router.

The only way I've found to resolve this is to unplug the phone line from the router for 30 seconds or so and then plug it in again. Restarting the router doesn't do anything, and the same thing seems to happen with another router I tested briefly. The router is the only thing plugged into the phone line, but through an extension cable (no power socket by the original phone socket).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Eoin wrote: »
    Hi, I am having problems with my broadband connection.

Over the last few weeks, the router's connection drops at least once a day. Both the internet and DSL light turn off on the router.

The only way I've found to resolve this is to unplug the phone line from the router for 30 seconds or so and then plug it in again. Restarting the router doesn't do anything, and the same thing seems to happen with another router I tested briefly. The router is the only thing plugged into the phone line, but through an extension cable (no power socket by the original phone socket).
    Sorry to hear this Eoin

Please feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll run some tests on this.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry to hear this Eoin

Please feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll run some tests on this.

Thanks
    Al

Hi there, problems still happening - router is now only showing a 1mb connection. If it's likely a problem with the router I don't mind getting a new one, but a reply to my PMs would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Sorry to hear this Eoin

Thanks
    Al

Hi there, problems still happening - router is now only showing a 1mb connection. If it's likely a problem with the router I don't mind getting a new one, but a reply to my PMs would be helpful.
    Hi Eoin
    our tests here have not identified any issue, in fact we get perfect line connection result. This may be issue with modem.
    You should connect directly to ethernet and only one device and see if issue continues. If it does, call our tech support team on 1890260260 and they can troubleshoot modem / profile issue.
    Please ensure you have connected to ethernet before call, as this will give best result when testing.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick response. I will get a new router and give it a go.

To clarify: the connection speed I am quoting is from the router config page (DownStream Connection Speed) - not a speed test from my browser, so I'd have thought that's the connection speed that the router is registering from the phone line.

So I wouldn't expect that speed to change depending on whether Im a connecting through ethernet/WiFi?

Does your test check what speed I can expect, or just that there is no line fault?

thanks,

Eoin

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick response. I will get a new router and give it a go.

To clarify: the connection speed I am quoting is from the router config page (DownStream Connection Speed) - not a speed test from my browser, so I'd have thought that's the connection speed that the router is registering from the phone line.

So I wouldn't expect that speed to change depending on whether Im a connecting through ethernet/WiFi?

Does your test check what speed I can expect, or just that there is no line fault?

thanks,

Eoin
    Hi Eoin

My results indicate that there is a lot interference on your end (located between the modem and connection of the socket in your house) which is most likely created by the way the modem and phone are connected or even possible faulty equipment like faulty modem or filter/splitters.

My advice would be to  run a speed test to establish what speed you’re running at and then plug the modem directly to your socket (eliminating any phone connection or splitter) and run the same test. If the speed improves whilst the modem is plugged directly to the socket then that shows the issues are a result of the current set up you have.

To ensure an accurate set up and eradicate this interference please try this link for guidelines on combating interference: http://bit.ly/PIBDSK

The test results also indicate that your line should be able to hold up to between 3Mb and 5Mb however until the interference is eliminated technical support will be unable to see what speed is currently set to your line. When the interference is dealt with we will then be able to see if a speed increase from our end is required.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Tony,

That's very helpful, thank you very much.

regards,

Eoin

Hi Tony,

That's very helpful, thank you very much.

regards,

Eoin
    You're welcome Eoin

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan, same problem today with 2 different routers. Issue was only resolved by unplugging the phoneline from the wall for a few minutes - rebooting both modems didn't work, so I think I can rule them out. 

The only thing I can think of that might cause a problem is that we need to run am extension cable from the entry point to the router, as there's no power socket for the router beside the socket. There is nothing else plugged in to the phone line.

Anyway, it seems like a bit of a stalemate if you can't see any problems at your end. Would you be able to send me a PM with the date of when my contract expires please?

thanks for your help

Eoin

Hi Alan, same problem today with 2 different routers. Issue was only resolved by unplugging the phoneline from the wall for a few minutes - rebooting both modems didn't work, so I think I can rule them out. 

The only thing I can think of that might cause a problem is that we need to run am extension cable from the entry point to the router, as there's no power socket for the router beside the socket. There is nothing else plugged in to the phone line.

Anyway, it seems like a bit of a stalemate if you can't see any problems at your end. Would you be able to send me a PM with the date of when my contract expires please?

thanks for your help

Eoin
    No worries Eoin,

Your contract expires on the 3rd of March,

I can confirm that It's important to connect to the main socket in a premises as not doing so could also create interference (I should have mentioned that in my above post apologies). I would highly advise running an extension cable to the main entry socket and if you wish to connect a phone to an extra point make sure to use a filter.

I've run tests on your line and I can confirm that there is no sign of a fault on your line internally, externally or at exchange level.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks again Al - the extension cable goes directly to the main phone socket, and the router is the only device connected.

I'll see if I can figure it out, but thank you very much for your help.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Al - the extension cable goes directly to the main phone socket, and the router is the only device connected.

I'll see if I can figure it out, but thank you very much for your help.
    You're more than welcome Eoin

Al

Advertisement