Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private - no scan

Options
  • 02-12-2014 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    We decided to go private this pregnancy. It's a stretch to afford it - it means no holuday next summer.
    But I had a Mc last summer at 14 weeks. Really tough experience.
    So as this is probably my last baby ( number 3) and I was v anxious after Mc we decided to go private.
    So booked in with consultant recommended by Dr. Got appt letter in post for 1st appt in January when I'm 13 weeks.
    Rang the secretary, explained my situation and requested an appt sooner.I'm 7 weeks now.
    Secretary said no- consultant only sees people after 12 weeks .
    Thinking about cancelling private care now.
    What's the point when first appt is so late. I'd be seen public at 12 weeks anyway for my booking appt.
    Very disappointed that Dr wouldn't make an exception considering my history.
    Am I being OTT?
    Did anyone else go private and see their consultant before 12 weeks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

clogher77 wrote: »
    Hi
    We decided to go private this pregnancy. It's a stretch to afford it - it means no holuday next summer.
    So as this is probably my last baby ( number 3) and I was v anxious after Mc we decided to go private.
    So booked in with consultant recommended by Dr. Got appt letter in post for 1st appt in January when I'm 13 weeks.
    Rang the secretary, explained my situation and requested an appt sooner.I'm 7 weeks now.
    What's the point when first appt is so late. I'd be seen public at 12 weeks anyway for my booking appt.
    Am I being OTT?

We went public and paid for a private scan in Bray at 9 weeks for peace of mind. Felt like the best of both worlds. The difference is so big in cost that we had planned on getting another private one around 28-30 weeks but I've had a couple of issues so had tons of scans under public now. I'm on my fifth full scan at this stage never mind the checks at clinic on the crap scanners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi
    Am I being OTT?

Ask your GP to refer you in to early pregnancy unit. Mine did that after my Mc... I don't think it's unusual, quick letter and a phonecall for them. Should be no charge. You can do that and continue the private if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hi
    Am I being OTT?

I think maybe a different consultant is the way to go. I'm attending the Coombe privately and have had my first scan at 7 weeks with an appointment/scan every three/four weeks since

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Absolutely not change consultant. I know our consultant did an early scan as my wife was anxious on no 2 & 3. However the only thing an early scan can do is put your mind at ease that everything is going to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

With my consultant you see his midwife(a trained sonographer too) between 7 and 9 weeks for a reassurance scan and your history. Providing there are no issues you see him then from 12 weeks. If there are any issues before that you see him. I had a bleed at 6 weeks and was seen and scanned by him the next day. I then saw the midwife for the reassurance scan just over 2 weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We were in a similar boat with a prior mc. Had a threatened mc on our next.
    We went to a private consultant in one of the Polish clinics who gave my wife a hormone treatment to stabilise things at 6 weeks and did a scan. Irish consultants wouldn't have stabilised her. It would have been a case of if it happens it happens. Went to the EPU in the rotunda 2 weeks later and had regular scans as a public patient. We also had a 3d scan in bray at 30 weeks.
    my wife gave birth to our baby as normal last December.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would change consultants, especially if you're not happy with this approach. I was seen at about 10 weeks both times, but I had no prior problems and paid for private scans at about 6 weeks. I think its a very old fashioned approach to stick to the 12 week mark for seeing patients, when you have had a miscarriage before. There are plenty of others who'll see you when you want to be seen, not when they think you should be seen, and you're paying enough for the service as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Carraig77

Thanks for all the replies.
    I'm going to email the consultants clinic. State my concerns and then if they wont accommodate me I'll cancel the appt in January and book in with someone else.

It's funny as when I was in the hospital with mc I was in for 5 days and I was assured that next time not to worry I would be seen in epc and would be monitored etc etc.
    Reality is my dr wrote a letter when I went after positive test. But no appt with epu just a letter giving me dating scan at 12 weeks. So public system happy to see me at 12 weeks. Private consultant will see me at 13 weeks but no one will check me over before that.
    Funny old world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Carraig77 wrote: »
    I'm going to email the consultants clinic. State my concerns and then if they wont accommodate me I'll cancel the appt in January and book in with someone else.

It's funny as when I was in the hospital with mc I was in for 5 days and I was assured that next time not to worry I would be seen in epc and would be monitored etc etc.
    Reality is my dr wrote a letter when I went after positive test. But no appt with epu just a letter giving me dating scan at 12 weeks. So public system happy to see me at 12 weeks. Private consultant will see me at 13 weeks but no one will check me over before that.
    Funny old world.

You may find it difficult to book in with someone quickly in January.

If you're deciding to go public tell them now and get an appointment. It can take a while.
    Depending were you are, the obstetrician in the medicus clinic in Prussia St. Is very good.
    She stabilised my wife at 5 weeks when the rotunda just said let it go it's course. She has a good name among the eastern Europeans. (I'M irish :))

We have found the system in the rotunda public very good with the domino scheme available in some areas. We just got some extra private scans and it didn't cost us thousands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Go to your GP and ask him to refer you to the EPU.

Then change to public.

• Advertisement

Carraig77 wrote: »

Funny old world.

Some consultants take a hands off approach, and that suits some people and they choose them for that reason. I chose my consultant because I knew they were the opposite, plenty of scans, ready to intervene when I requested it rather than waiting to see how things panned out. Unfortunately there's not really any way of knowing this until you check for recommendations online or with people who've been through the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Haven't read the full thread only the OP. OP I went private on both my pregnancies. Different consultant each time. No prior problems or concerns. When I booked in both consultants made appointment for 8 weeks and scan was included in this and at every following appointment. Seems a bit ridic you paying that amount and they won't even see you before 12 weeks tbh! Where are you attending??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 clogher77

Attending cork.
    First im going to email consultants office and ask to be seen sooner. If answer is like on phone - negative- then Think I'll do as few people suggested and ring around and book someone else. Dr had written letter before we decided to go private so have public appt 9 days before private appt in Jan.

Feel like I'm being very awkward but last pregnancy before Mc I went public and sailed through it. I was happy out with the public system. But I'm older now and bit worried.

Attending cork.
    First im going to email consultants office and ask to be seen sooner. If answer is like on phone - negative- then Think I'll do as few people suggested and ring around and book someone else. Dr had written letter before we decided to go private so have public appt 9 days before private appt in Jan.

Feel like I'm being very awkward but last pregnancy before Mc I went public and sailed through it. I was happy out with the public system. But I'm older now and bit worried.

I'm in Cork too and as I say, was seen and scanned at 8 weeks. In fact this time I had a bleed at just over 6 weeks and he brought me in then too. PM me if you want his name. Anyone I know who went with him had nothing but positive things to say about him. Given your previous experience I can understand you not wanting to wait until 12 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Attending cork.

Ah the CUMH in Cork is an outstanding facility, if you are happy with public I'd go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It might be worth ringing the EPU in the hospital directly and explaining. When I had a mc the midwives told me just to ring should I get pregnant again and they'd try to accomodate me in the EPU for a scan (public patient). Perhaps worth trying anyway especially if you're unsure about consultant already. Might save you a fortune.

Babyscan in Ballincollig do scans too if you did want a private one, think it's 80-100 eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

sillysocks wrote: »
    It might be worth ringing the EPU in the hospital directly and explaining. When I had a mc the midwives told me just to ring should I get pregnant again and they'd try to accomodate me in the EPU for a scan (public patient). Perhaps worth trying anyway especially if you're unsure about consultant already. Might save you a fortune.

They have signs up all over the EPU in Holles St to say that patients registered with a consultant will be charged €100 per scan, whether it's a routine scan or an emergency scan. So she'd probably get a scan alright, but would be charged for it.

As a public patient in Holles St, on my last pregnancy, I got four thorough early pregnancy scans (between five weeks and ten weeks), a mini-scan at every appointment between 21 weeks and 41 weeks (when I gave birth), a long detailed fetal anomaly scan at 20 weeks (two on the same day, actually, as baby wasn't in the right position for the first one), and another very detailed scan at 39 weeks for a research project, where the consultant printed loads of 3D photos of the baby for me. I have the best health insurance scheme there is (because I work in the industry), but I wouldn't even consider going semi-private or private next time around, because I don't know of any private patients who get better care than I've experienced.

I'm sure it varies a lot depending on the hospital though.

They have signs up all over the EPU in Holles St to say that patients registered with a consultant will be charged €100 per scan, whether it's a routine scan or an emergency scan. So she'd probably get a scan alright, but would be charged for it.

As a public patient in Holles St, on my last pregnancy, I got four thorough early pregnancy scans (between five weeks and ten weeks), a mini-scan at every appointment between 21 weeks and 41 weeks (when I gave birth), a long detailed fetal anomaly scan at 20 weeks (two on the same day, actually, as baby wasn't in the right position for the first one), and another very detailed scan at 39 weeks for a research project, where the consultant printed loads of 3D photos of the baby for me. I have the best health insurance scheme there is (because I work in the industry), but I wouldn't even consider going semi-private or private next time around, because I don't know of any private patients who get better care than I've experienced.

I was in holles street under a consultant. I had a couple scans in the EPU on each of my pregnancies with the midwives and was never charged for them.

The only scan I was ever charged for was the 20 week scan which was in the merrion fetal assessment private rooms and not in the public. Any scans I had in the public were free of charge (even tho I was registered with a consultant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I was in holles street under a consultant. I had a couple scans in the EPU on each of my pregnancies with the midwives and was never charged for them.

Are you sure your health insurance provider wasn't charged either?

Are you sure your health insurance provider wasn't charged either?

Nope definitely not. I recieved an itemised bill of what my insurance paid for. They wouldn't have covered the extra scans anyway.

• Advertisement

The standard of care varies hugely around the country. In Cork the only two scans you are guaranteed are the dating scan at 12 weeks and the placental location one at 32/34 weeks. Some people will get lucky and get a mini scan at each visit. Some won't. Two people I know with major medical conditions in their immediate families had to argue high and low on the public system for an anomaly scan at 20 weeks. Neither would be that flush with cash but were willing to pay for a private scan if necessary but this was important information and relevant to their labours if the condition was identified. Both babies were fine thankfully and both rate the rest of the care they got very highly. Saying that, my cousin got tonnes of scans and was put through the high risk clinic from the get go based on a condition her son has. There is only one maternity in Cork and it is a good facility but you only have the choice of public or private.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Nope definitely not. I recieved an itemised bill of what my insurance paid for. They wouldn't have covered the extra scans anyway.

Same here. Loads of scans in the consultant rooms, had public scans a few times, and only paid for the Merrion ones which we claimed on the med 1 at the end of the year. I definitely got better care in the private system for reasons that had nothing to do with scans, both before and after the birth.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm Holles street and private too, didn't have to pay for scan and trace when I had some spotting. Only paid for scans in merrion unit.

OP hope you can get an early scan and move consultant or go public, I'd be very unhappy given your treatment to be paying and staying with that consultant. Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 15 clogher77

Hi
    Just to follow up. I rang epu like ye recommended and got a scan yesterday. All good. Fell bit re assured.
    Thanks for all the help.

Hi
    Just to follow up. I rang epu like ye recommended and got a scan yesterday. All good. Fell bit re assured.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

sillysocks wrote: »
    It might be worth ringing the EPU in the hospital directly and explaining.

This is good advice. With my second pregnancy I asked my doctor for a referral letter for EPU due to having miscarried 8 weeks earlier. My doctor at the time was a wagon and said no way would she write a letter and that I wasn't the only woman to lose a baby. :confused:

I was very upset and anxious as my first pregnancy resulted in a missed miscarriage so I didn't know I had lost the baby until I was scanned. That's why I was so eager to get an early scan the next time. I called Holles St directly and explained what my doctor said and how I was feeling and they were honestly lovely, they made me an appointment for two weeks later (as I was unsure of dates so they wanted to be certain I was at least 6 weeks for the scan). I think it's terrible that you are being refused an early scan.

I was public by the way.

EDIT: Just saw your update! Best of luck with this pregnancy :D

Advertisement