Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Christy42 wrote: »
    I would agree a lot about this post, I just feel blaming biology is a dangerous assumption for society. It could be true but we may as well try and see what we get.

i would say it is just encouraging more CS students overall. It will force/allow colleges to run more computer science style courses. I know a few people (male and female) who would have preferred Computer science to the course we did, now as the case was we could do enough computer science modules for them to get a career in it after but I felt like the problem was that they hadn't really seen coding before college. It seems from the numbers that there are more girls not finding the course but there are also some guys not looking at these courses that they might love. I don't think it would be at the expense of guys.

I would agree that the under achievement of guys is a bigger issue but I don't know how to fix it. I remember the lack of mating options for educated women was a guardian article recently. Wasn't a very good article to say the least.

there is generally a shortage in IT so expanding it is a good thing. If anything there are too many mediocre courses in "communications" and are attempting to get into dying sectors like print media etc.

Did you mean the article was depressing? it sounds like it would be alright. I havnt made up my mind on it , maybe in the past too many got married when they didnt really want to, now there is no outside pressure to but if you want to and have a lot going for you, one could say there is a problem. Society will find ways of correcting the imbalance I'd assume or economic changes might have the same effect. the alternative is a Japanese style population collapse which will be "interesting"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yeah it was just that they seemed to believe that the biggest issue of the lack of men in college was the effect on women. It didn't touch on any potential follow on problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Christy42 wrote: »
    Now tell me, tell me that if school girls are shown more cs type stuff in school (show it to the boys too, may as well make it equal) that more girls won't put down cs on the Cao form.

Catholicism's legacy of single-sex schooling is a problem here.

Works both ways too, how many boys will ever be taught how to cook anything in school? yet it's a vital life skill and leads to lots of careers

Without subjects being offered and without role models taking them then there will be no uptake, and to think that people paid far more than I earn wonder why that is. :rolleyes:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Yosef.coen

Catholicism's legacy of single-sex schooling is a problem here.

Works both ways too, how many boys will ever be taught how to cook anything in school? yet it's a vital life skill and leads to lots of careers

Without subjects being offered and without role models taking them then there will be no uptake, and to think that people paid far more than I earn wonder why that is. :rolleyes:

The lack of females entering STEM subjects is not at all down the to the religious schooling they received be it from a Jewish school, a Uniting church school or a Catholic school. If that were the case then in places of secular education like France or the United State you will see a more even 50/50 split. It doesn't exist so the problem is different, if you can call it a problem in the first place.

Anyway, its a nonsense issue. There is no reason to advocate a 50/50 even split anyway other then feel good lovely box-ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I have to say that I see the uptake of traditionally gender split school subjects to be a relatively simple phenomenon. When I was in secondary (and it was one of the more progressive Dublin schools), there were NO girls doing technical drawing or metal work. As we are herd animals, taking up these subjects was objectionable to me as I didn't want to be the only girl in a class full of boys (stupidly, and probably wrongly, but that's teens for ya!). The one boy who braved the home economics classroom turned out to be gay, so I would say that he hadn't felt intimidated by the outnumbering!

This was in the 80's and times are changing, but slowly. I watched my own eldest son become very comfortable around girls his age and although he had no interest in home ec for example, I firmly believe that the thought wouldn't have entered his head that a class full of girls would be any more difficult than a class full of boys. However, he would be one of the more self assured and confident teens I've met.

I think the main reason we still see such a traditional sex divide in subject choices often comes down to what a teen's peers are doing - and peers are strictly divided into gender. Perhaps that will always happen, but I hope not.

Edit: One way round this would be to offer all subjects to all children from 1st year on and not provide a choice until at least 3rd year, but that would be logistically impossible for most schools in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Shrap wrote: »
    I have to say that I see the uptake of traditionally gender split school subjects to be a relatively simple phenomenon. When I was in secondary (and it was one of the more progressive Dublin schools), there were NO girls doing technical drawing or metal work. As we are herd animals, taking up these subjects was objectionable to me as I didn't want to be the only girl in a class full of boys (stupidly, and probably wrongly, but that's teens for ya!). The one boy who braved the home economics classroom turned out to be gay, so I would say that he hadn't felt intimidated by the outnumbering!

This was in the 80's and times are changing, but slowly. I watched my own eldest son become very comfortable around girls his age and although he had no interest in home ec for example, I firmly believe that the thought wouldn't have entered his head that a class full of girls would be any more difficult than a class full of boys. However, he would be one of the more self assured and confident teens I've met.

I think the main reason we still see such a traditional sex divide in subject choices often comes down to what a teen's peers are doing - and peers are strictly divided into gender. Perhaps that will always happen, but I hope not.

Edit: One way round this would be to offer all subjects to all children from 1st year on and not provide a choice until at least 3rd year, but that would be logistically impossible for most schools in the country.

You also have to factor in the point race, people choose the "easiest" subjects to get the highest points. I knew intelligent girls who dropped physics for home ec as it was an easier A, and they were right, I scraped a low B and they garnered near enough full points in home ec iirc, I wish I had joined them in hindsight lol

You also have to factor in the point race, people choose the "easiest" subjects to get the highest points. I knew intelligent girls who dropped physics for home ec as it was an easier A, and they were right, I scraped a low B and they garnered near enough full points in home ec iirc, I wish I had joined them in hindsight lol

That's true too! My eldest also wishes he'd not done H physics, applied maths, H maths and engineering in favour of a few "soft" subjects!

I also don't think the gender divide is helped at all by children essentially making future career choices at at 11 - 12 in terms of subject choice. That has to be the age where their teen angst is just beginning and most will choose to run with the crowd rather than stand out by being the one boy/girl in a class of the other gender. Finding out what you might be good at is such a huge learning curve and certainly at age 12, I didn't know how great I am with my hands or that I have an innate grasp of spatial reasoning. If I'd chanced my arm at engineering, that's what I might be doing now.

Really think that the only way to transform the gender uptake of traditionally orientated subjects is to expose all children to all of them before they make choices towards their futures.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

50 years ago I was in secondary school in the UK. A scheme was started where girls were offered the opportunity to do metalwork in a voluntary 'out of hours' (I think it was lunchtime, so a teacher gave up their own time to do it) situation, and boys were offered the opportunity to do cooking. These subjects were open to either all along, but for 'herd' reasons mostly, very few took them up. It was a great way to find out if you had an interest in the subject without committing full time.

looksee wrote: »
    50 years ago I was in secondary school in the UK. A scheme was started where girls were offered the opportunity to do metalwork in a voluntary 'out of hours' (I think it was lunchtime, so a teacher gave up their own time to do it) situation, and boys were offered the opportunity to do cooking. These subjects were open to either all along, but for 'herd' reasons mostly, very few took them up. It was a great way to find out if you had an interest in the subject without committing full time.

Oh well :( Still, they made an effort.....that's nice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

looksee wrote: »

Don't think there is much I'd have given up my lunch break for in school either. Certainly not extra subjects.

• Advertisement

"After an Algerian and a Syrian living in the same migrant centre were jailed for raping a Swedish women multiple times, concerned locals held an anti mass-migration protest. Only then did an infuriated local social justice group hold their own demonstration… in support of more migration."
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/12/11/migrants-gang-rape-women-lefties-protest-support-migrants/

Feminism YES, Sweden YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"After an Algerian and a Syrian living in the same migrant centre were jailed for raping a Swedish women multiple times, concerned locals held an anti mass-migration protest. Only then did an infuriated local social justice group hold their own demonstration… in support of more migration."
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/12/11/migrants-gang-rape-women-lefties-protest-support-migrants/

Feminism YES, Sweden YES

Breitbart?

Nodin wrote: »
    Breitbart?

I know, its a rag, but the sources are linked within, unfortunately broadsheets dont cover this sort of thing.....

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/sormland/rastistattacken-foljs-av-protestaktion

I know, its a rag, but the sources are linked within,

....in Swedish, which, though doubtless a fine language, is beyond my admittedly limited linguistic range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

....in Swedish, which, though doubtless a fine language, is beyond my admittedly limited linguistic range.
    Good thing Google made a translation program then.

Do you have firefox? You can add a plugin that automatically translates all pages to English. chrome has it too, I believe.

Good thing Google made a translation program then.

....which reveals a counter protest to a racist rally. Not very enlightening and further underlining the pointlessness of using a far right cesspit like Breitbart as a source for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The source translated:
    After yesterday's racist manifestation outside asylum accommodation Blick Mälaren in Strängnäs organized a protest demonstration on Wednesday evening.

The initiative comes from the network Together for Strängnäs, who on his Facebook page describes itself as a local anti-racist movement that has more than 270 members.

- We intend to manifest against the racist demonstration yesterday at Mälardalen Blick. It is terribly sad it happened and we have to fight these forces with all democratic means available, says Louis Malmquist spokesperson for the network Together for Strängnäs.

The rally will start at 18:00 at Gyllenhjelmsgatan Square and Louis Malmquist estimate that about 30 people will end up.

I guess Breitbart are adding things to it, who would have thought. A whole 30 people too, they really are taking over.

Feminism YES, Sweden YES

......btw, you might give us a more in depth explanation of your view on this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Delirium wrote: »
    Time would be better spent teaching about consent rather than a lesson about resigning yourself to having a baby without consenting.
    MrPudding wrote: »
    I have had conversations with plenty of people on this subject and I never fail to be surprised at the number of people that genuinely have no idea how consent works in rape. Anything that improves people's understanding of this is not necessarily a bad thing.
    This video, apparently from Thames Valley Police, just showed up in my fb feed - so I imagine that it's a legal perspective of how consent works in practice.

But regardless of whether it is or not, it's certainly the clearest and simplest description of consent that I've ever seen - comments?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    This video, apparently from Thames Valley Police, just showed up in my fb feed - so I imagine that it's a legal perspective of how consent works in practice.

But regardless of whether it is or not, it's certainly the clearest and simplest description of consent that I've ever seen - comments?

Good thing Im well versed in the Mrs Doyle school of tea making...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is a good description of consent and a terrible description of giving people tea. In my grandparents you are asked a few times if you want tea and then a cup will be made for you no matter your answer. If you do answer no someone may be used to distract you from leaving. Granted once it is given it isn't forced down your throat but still.

Actually sex ed in schools is a great time to bring this up but none of this only teach the boys that I have heard (but don't have proof of so don't shoot me if I am misinformed) has been proposed for some universities. Teach it to everyone is the simplest solution, no parental opt out allowed as you are teaching the law of the land. Only issue then is the proper training of teachers. Since it doesn't need to be taught every week schools could have joint programs on this or a teacher could travel round a few different schools meaning we wouldn't need someone trained in every school.

thoughts? ...hmmm the bible is missing some priceless allegories and is this part of a series, next up joyriding and not stealing the tea?

I notice that they didnt mention what happens if someone has tea, likes it but regrets it the next day and rings the police :pac:

its not a perfect metaphor, a game of tennis might have painted a better picture of 2 people engaging in a joint activity

anyway Ill see you and raise, a norwegian anti rape advert which is creating a bit of heat. its a tad misandric imo

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

silverharp wrote: »
    I notice that they didnt mention what happens if someone has tea, likes it but regrets it the next day and rings the police :pac:

Maybe because that very rarely happens, or at least without some external factor?

Maybe because that very rarely happens, or at least without some external factor?

it would also be rare to find someone who doesnt know that having sex with someone that is unconscious hasnt given consent? with this kind of video the target market knows exactly what they are doing.

Or, more aptly, what happens if someone has tea because they were too afraid to refuse it, didn't like it, realises the next day it was poisoned and rings the police. Think Mrs. Doyle effect, but with menaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Or, more aptly, what happens if someone has tea because they were too afraid to refuse it, didn't like it, realises the next day it was poisoned and rings the police. Think Mrs. Doyle effect, but with menaces.

Oh, it's OK, he just tripped and fell and the tea somehow ended up inside her. :rolleyes:

I'm not liking the tea anology I read that first as the tea being spiked . this scenario either way is indicating a predatory individual who again I don't think is going to be moved by adverts. I think these kind of adverts should be more holistic and not be made as if they are water saving adverts where potentially a large amount of people have something basic to learn about the law.
    Maybe its my profession but a large emphasis in my field is risk reduction , so I tend to view problems in terms of what are the risks and what controls have you in place to mitigate those risks and accept there are people out there with bad intentions.

Oh, it's OK, he just tripped and fell and the tea somehow ended up inside her. :rolleyes:

That's that Saudi guy right? Mary's conception by the holy ghost is marginally more believable :pac:

• Advertisement

this scenario either way is indicating a predatory individual who again I don't think is going to be moved by adverts.

I take your point about there always going to be people out there with bad intentions, but also there are always people out there who need to understand the very simple guideline demonstrated in that ad, but they don't (for whatever reason).

This will not be comfortable reading for anyone so I'm using spoilers. The time I was raped,
    the man I had willingly gone into his bedroom with took my repeated "No" and "Stop" and my struggling as a kinky role-play of victim. I actually wasn't pretending or playing, and as he continued to hurt me quite badly, I froze and stopped fighting back. When I started crying, he said "Why do they always cry?". He seemed genuinely perplexed as to why, when I had willingly gone to bed with him, I was now suddenly crying (that was when he stopped and I managed to leave).

Some people really do need very basic training in "No" and "stop" meaning don't go further.

Advertisement