Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

US students offered counselling after miniature sombreros start "safe space" debate

http://www.newstalk.com/US-students-offered-counselling-after-miniature-sombreros-start-safe-space-debate

A US university has offered counselling to “injured and affected” students who may have been offended by classmates wearing small sombrero hats at a tequila-themed birthday party.

The argument, touted as another example of political correctness to the extreme, kicked off at Bowdoin College, a liberal arts college with 1,900 students in Maine.

Photos of revellers sporting small sombreros, several inches in diameter, spread quickly on social media, prompting college administrators to immediately announce to students that an official investigation would be launched into a possible “act of ethnic stereotyping.”

The college’s general assembly, the equivalent of its student union, then released a “statement of solidarity to stand by all students who were affected by the ‘tequila party’, the hosts of which now face disciplinary actions.

Bowdoin authorities are now offering any offended students “safe spaces” and counselling session to help them deal with the emotional aftermath of the racial insensitivity of the miniature sombrero party.

The Bowdoin College incident is the latest in ongoing debates about the battle between freedom of speech and political correctness on college campuses, with a number of vocal critics claiming that contemporary students are overreacting to perceived slights – including students at Oberlin College calling inauthentic Asian cuisine in the cafeteria “cultural appropriation.”

The Bowdoin College student newspaper, the rather unfortunately named Bowdoin Orient, is now reporting that the host of the tequila part has been placed on “social probation” for the next 12 months, meaning her social activities have been deemed to fail to demonstrate responsible behaviour. The student now must attend an educational programme and training as an ‘active bystander’.

The student has also been asked to vacate her campus accommodation.

Two student assembly representatives who also attended the party are now facing impeachment, with student Bill de la Rosa saying they should be expelled from the college completely.

“These actions have consequences,” De La Rosa said, adding “These are leaders on our campus that were chosen and elected to represent the student body. Those actions did not reflect that last week.”

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

silverharp wrote: »
    US students offered counselling after miniature sombreros start "safe space" debate

http://www.newstalk.com/US-students-offered-counselling-after-miniature-sombreros-start-safe-space-debate

I'm going to bring the whole of the USA to court for offending me as an Irish person after "Pattys Day" :pac::pac:

Must be a Poe? Please be a Poe.

Must be a Poe? Please be a Poe.

I' d suspect that the triggering because of sombreros might have been an exaggeration , but the suspensions etc. seems real enough, the Washington post covers that part of it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

On the same topic, the virus has spread

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3485738/Cambridge-University-cancel-World-80-Days-theme-party-case-students-dress-offensive-costumes-cultures.html#newcomment

Cambridge University cancels 'Around the World in 80 Days' theme party 'in case students dress in offensive costumes from other cultures'

Junior Parlour Committee wrote to students announcing the theme change
    Claims themed costumes could lead to 'cultural appropriation' and offence

• Advertisement

Pre-Crime
    Cambridge University students have cancelled an Around The World In 80 Days-themed event over fears the costumes they choose to wear may be racially offensive.
    http://movieweb.com/movie/minority-report/precrime-commercial/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

These Universities are doing a great disservice to intellectual advancement and student development.

School should be challenging and life is offensive. This ultra PC facism is fast becoming a cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

Absolam wrote: »
    Hmmm... 73.6% of statistics used in arguments are made up though.

Which is why I added " I think that"to the start of my statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I would laugh if the party hostess dug up some evidence that her great grandfather was Mexican, and then demanded an apology, and got her student flat back.
    I think thats how it works anyway ? Is "cultural appropriation" only bad if its someone else's culture you are celebrating?
    So it should be safe enough to drink Guinness while wearing a leprechaun hat this Paddys Day, as long as you are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

recedite wrote: »
    Is "cultural appropriation" only bad if its someone else's culture you are celebrating?

Simple test:

Are they less white than you? Then it's bad.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Asaiah wrote: »
    Which is why I added " I think that"to the start of my statement.
    Can you provide your basis for thinking that 99.9% of the public would agree with you but only about 30% have the balls to admit it?

Or when you prefaced your statement with 'I think that' should you really have prefaced it with 'I'm totally making it up that'?

some good news Mizzou’s student intake is collapsing, it might make college administrators take their colleges back

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/a-message-for-higher-ed-from-mizzous-1500-missing-students/

Eucation Bubble: The University of Missouri reported a near-25% drop in student enrollment following its unrest. This is the result of political correctness run amok, weak university leadership and inflated college costs.

“I am writing to you today to confirm that we project a very significant budget shortfall due to an unexpected sharp decline in first-year enrollments and student retention this coming fall,” wrote Interim Chancellor Hank Foley in a university memo Wednesday. Instead of a 900-student drop, as Mizzou expected, the university was looking at a 1,500 student drop, and that meant a continuing revenue shortfall as a smaller freshman class moves toward graduation, he explained. With U.S. News and World Report reporting a 46% four-year graduation rate for the school, it’s a steep loss indeed.

As a result, Mizzou has been hit with a $32 million revenue shortfall, and will have to cut expenses 5% and impose a hiring freeze.

Bear in mind that the revenue shortfall was not the result of the Missouri House’s cutoff of $1 million of state money and $7.6 million from UM System administrative funding, which happened earlier this week. The chancellor emphasized that it’s due to the missing students.

That’s the consumer verdict on the educational product the University of Missouri sells for $19,000 a year to in-state students and $32,000 to out-of-state students. Incredibly, the chancellor never mentioned in his memo any reason for their absence. It’s as if they vanished.

But they didn’t vanish. They went elsewhere, because last year’s student riots showed three things:

That the university is loaded with academic zeros such as Associate Professor Melissa Click, a women’s studies “expert” with zero knowledge of journalism, indoctrinating students in radical leftism at Missouri’s famed journalism school and getting caught on camera attempting to stifle free speech. No dissent allowed, and don’t even think about free inquiry.

They also saw a wimpy establishment that permitted “Black Lives Matter” activists to pretty well take over the campus, hurl phony charges of racism at the school’s (leftist) establishment, and then see the university administrators cave to their demands like a bad souffle. In the wake of those protests, the university president was forced to resign, yet the demands of the radicals only grew louder.

Amid this, parents and students saw the same overpriced tuition, bloated administrative budgets, useless majors and inflated salaries that plague all universities.

So they voted with their feet, leaving one of the country’s once-great land-grant universities with a distinguished past academic history in the dust. If that’s not a warning to all universities to clean up their act, what is?

careful, the Feminists are coming after your science grants

http://phg.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/01/08/0309132515623368.long

Glaciers, gender, and science
    A feminist glaciology framework for global environmental change research
    Mark Carey⇑
    M Jackson
    Alessandro Antonello
    Jaclyn Rushing
    University of Oregon, USA

Abstract

Glaciers are key icons of climate change and global environmental change. However, the relationships among gender, science, and glaciers – particularly related to epistemological questions about the production of glaciological knowledge – remain understudied. This paper thus proposes a feminist glaciology framework with four key components: 1) knowledge producers; (2) gendered science and knowledge; (3) systems of scientific domination; and (4) alternative representations of glaciers. Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions.

a couple of extracts

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/a-real-paper-or-a-sokal-esque-hoax-you-be-the-judge/

A critical but overlooked aspect of the human dimensions of glaciers and global change research is the relationship between gender and glaciers. While there has been relatively little research on gender and global environmental change in general (Moosa and Tuana, 2014; Arora-Jonsson, 2011), there is even less from a feminist perspective that focuses on gender (understood here not as a male/female binary, but as a range of personal and social possibilities) and also on power, justice, inequality, and knowledge production in the context of ice, glacier change, and glaciology (exceptions are Bloom et al., 2008; Williams and Golovnev, 2015; Hevly, 1996; Hulbe et al., 2010; Cruikshank, 2005). Feminist theories and critical epistemologies – especially feminist political ecology and feminist postcolonial science studies – open up new perspectives and analyses of the history of glaciological knowledge. Researchers in feminist political ecology and feminist geography (e.g. Sultana, 2014; Mollett and Faria, 2013; Elmhirst, 2011; Coddington, 2015) have also called for studies to move ‘beyond gender’, to include analyses of power, justice, and knowledge production as well as ‘to unsettle and challenge dominant assumptions’ that are often embedded in Eurocentric knowledges (Harris, 2015: xx). Given the prominent place of glaciers both within the social imaginary of climate change and in global environmental change research, a feminist approach has important present-day relevance for understanding the dynamic relationship between people and ice – what Nüsser and Baghel (2015) refer to as the cryoscape.

Through a review and synthesis of a multi-disciplinary and wide-ranging literature on human-ice relations, this paper proposes a feminist glaciology framework to analyze human-glacier dynamics, glacier narratives and discourse, and claims to credibility and authority of glaciological knowledge through the lens of feminist studies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A critical but overlooked aspect of the human dimensions of glaciers and global change research is the relationship between gender and glaciers.
    Also, where are all the black glaciers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

recedite wrote: »
    Also, where are all the black glaciers?

You're after reminding me of a school trip when I was back in primary school, and it was either the Mitchelstown caves or the Ailwee caves, I can't remember which, but the tour guide told us to keep our hands to ourselves because touching the stalagmites and stalactites would make them go black!!

Just checked the Wiki page there for stalagmites and they have a mnemonic to remember the difference between the two -

The corresponding formation hanging down from the ceiling of a cave is a stalactite. Mnemonics have been developed for which word refers to which type of formation; one is that stalactite has a C for "ceiling", and stalagmite has a G for "ground".

That wasn't anything like the mnemonic I'd thought up back then -

"Stalagmights go up, when stalagtights come down"

Neither geography, nor spelling, were my strongest subjects in school :o

Stalactites have to cling tightly to the ceiling. Easy.

Veering dangerously close to "Creationist Science"

Veering dangerously close to "Creationist Science"

I'm waiting for Postmodernist Feminist Creationist Science meself.

I'm waiting for Postmodernist Feminist Creationist Science meself.

dont they need to go through a rational scientific phase first? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Stalactites have to cling tightly to the ceiling. Easy.
    Be thankful for Enid Blyton for that mnemonic - the other half of which goes "and stalagmites might reach the ceiling" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions.
    Human-ice interactions???? WTF
    You might have just won the thread with that contribution Silversharp.
    As a poster recently said in another thread, in years to come people will look back at this generation as the one that went full retard.

robindch wrote: »
    Be thankful for Enid Blyton for that mnemonic

Yep I think that's where I heard it, many years ago, you've outed me now Rob :o at least I never read the horsey/schooley stuff my daughter is into now...
    - the other half of which goes "and stalagmites might reach the ceiling" :)

That one's not so good though, as it could apply to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That one's not so good though, as it could apply to either.

It's certainly better than my mnemonic, which I came up with while standing beside a very pretty girl. I can't take full credit for it either though, as it was inspired by Einstein's explanation for his theory of relativity -

Professor Einstein’s secretary was so burdened with inquiries as to the meaning of “relativity” that the professor decided to help her out. He told her to answer these inquiries as follows: “When you sit with a nice girl for two hours you think it’s only a minute, but when you sit on a hot stove for a minute you think it’s two hours. That’s relativity.”

I'm not sure too many feminists would appreciate the sentiment, possibly even giving me the cold shoulder in response...

I'll get my coat :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

careful, the Feminists are coming after your science grants
    More on Mr Carey's vital output here:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/07/feds-paid-709000-to-academic-who-studies-how-glaciers-are-sexist/

Seems he received over $700,000 in grants from the National Science Foundation, though I'm sure that some of it paid for observations more profound than noticing that glaciers are cold, impersonal, thrusting and so deliciously hard.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/07/feds-paid-709000-to-academic-who-studies-how-glaciers-are-sexist/

Seems he received over $700,000 in grants from the National Science Foundation, though I'm sure that some of it paid for observations more profound than noticing that glaciers are cold, impersonal, thrusting and so deliciously hard.

Ive seen this a few times now :pac:
    I can’t satirize it. The scientists do that in their own abstract.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

rofl, its hilarious and scary at the same time that this is real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You know, I think I'm beyond being surprised that the likes of the Daily Caller is a go to source on A&A these days, but you have to admit something stinks about that whole article. It's quite telling that it's quoting people from right-wing think tanks, such as the 'Competitive Enterprise Institute' who get their funding from the likes of Exxon Mobil and Koch Industries. How is this not sending up red flags for folks:
    “Predictably, the authors fail to see the ‘sexist’ nature of today’s climate agenda, which seeks to restrict people’s access to the most affordable, abundant, and reliable forms of energy,”

The article also quotes Robert Bryce, of the 'Manhattan Institute' who are pro fracking, and previously of the 'Institute for Energy Research' who are also funded by Exxon Mobil and the Koch brothers. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Dr. Mark Carey researches climate change, wrote the book In the Shadow of Melting Glaciers: Climate Change and Andean Society, and I can't help but think this is a hit piece by climate change deniers who've found an easy attack; feminism. Seems as long as it's seemingly attacking feminism, people will swallow any right-wing bunk. I realise I'm not commenting on the paper itself, but I don't think either Dr. Carey or the paper are the target here, climate science is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

maybe you can start a thread on feedback asking that only articles by naomi klein and jessica valenti are permitted on A&A?

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    You know....

in fairness all those people coming out of college with their gender studies degrees and a $100K in debt will be on the look out for grant money :pac:

it's only a matter of time before they start looking at STEM grants.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/notable-quotable-a-feminist-glaciology-1457478031#livefyre-comment

.....The call for a feminist glaciology is not limited to ice and glaciers, but is a larger intervention into global environmental change (and especially climate change) research and policy.

Advertisement