Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

robindch wrote: »
    More on Mr Carey's vital output here:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/07/feds-paid-709000-to-academic-who-studies-how-glaciers-are-sexist/

Seems he received over $700,000 in grants from the National Science Foundation, though I'm sure that some of it paid for observations more profound than noticing that glaciers are cold, impersonal, thrusting and so deliciously hard.
    He's had a pretty long career by the looks of it, much of it including grant funding from the NSF - so it's pretty misleading to present the €700,000 figure, in association with this one single paper.

I know you pay lipservice to the fact that all that money hasn't gone to this paper, but it's still a bit odd to even bring up the figure in the first place, if it wasn't meant to be taken as associative.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I know you pay lipservice to the fact that all that money hasn't gone to this paper [...]
    I didn't "pay lipservice" to that fact. Instead, I said it - quite clearly I thought - that "I hope some of it paid for observations more profound..." since the breakdown isn't clear from Carey's CV where the figure of $700k came from.

And while the DailyCaller is clearly a right-wing opinion-source, the site was linked to since it's one of a small number of right-wing opinion-sources which chooses to deep link to primary source information - should anybody wish to check in greater detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Would you give a synopsis of the video please?

Nodin wrote: »
    Bernard Sanders supporters at a Bernie people/anti Trump rally.

"loud exhortations of how Trump is literally Hitler"

"loud exhortations of how Trump is a racist"

"Trump is literally Hitler who wants to start exterminating people, OMG, ANYONE WHO IS A WHITE MALE CANNOT HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS, YOU ARE A WHITE MALE, OMG" - White, bespectacled, fully baked left wing vegan cookie

• Advertisement

He's either a racist, a religious bigot or a demagogue. All are repellent.

He's not a racist or a religious bigot, probably a demagogue. Religious loons and their secular "fully baked" comrades are far more dangerous.

Not as repellent as the people in the above video.

Or say, this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Bernard Sanders supporters at a Bernie people/anti Trump rally.

"Trump is literally Hitler who wants to start exterminating people, OMG, ANYONE WHO IS A WHITE MALE CANNOT HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS, YOU ARE A WHITE MALE, OMG" - White, bespectacled, fully baked left wing vegan cookie

He did seem to miss the apparent irony alright :D

(I got about one minute into the first video but gave up because I couldn't understand a word, the second video is repeating cuts of the same idiot making the same idiotic claims about oppression or something, the male equivalent of Rachel Dolezal)

He's not a racist or a religious bigot, probably a demagogue. ..........

And so a vile piece of work as much, if not more so, than the others. Why, might I ask, do you support him?

And so a vile piece of work as much, if not more so, than the others. Why, might I ask, do you support him?
    No, not vile at all "Vile", ridiculous, also, not more than the others, the others have mass support from all of the vested interests that conspire against the average American, Trump doesnt.

I support Trump because of the forces aligned against him, secular and religious loons aka social justice warriors and the religious right, both political establishments, most media commentators, "liberal" right on folk, the perpetually offended, globalists, cuckservatives, pro immigration groups etc.

He's also self funding his campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

You could actually address what the video is about, rather than steering this into a conversation about Donald Trump.

You could actually address what the video is about, rather than steering this into a conversation about Donald Trump.
    The fact a large cohort of people think its unacceptable for white men* to speak or hold an opinion, due to their gender and race, who wants to discuss that? Far better to talk about The Donald and things he has said.

*never mind that these white men may not identify as white or male:D

I'd rather discuss a presidential candidate than a nut on the street in a random youtube video, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'd rather discuss a presidential candidate than a nut on the street in a random youtube video, yes.
    In which case maybe this thread or this one would a better suited to you.

In which case maybe this thread or this one would a better suited to you.

A random person on the street would not appear to be the target aimed at in the OP of this thread, and its hard to think it worthy of discussion or as a basis for speculation as regards the intent or thoughts of others.

A random person on the street would not appear to be the target aimed at in the OP of this thread, and its hard to think it worthy of discussion or as a basis for speculation as regards the intent or thoughts of others.

Its not random though, is it? There are a large cohort of people who share those beliefs, both at Bernie people rallies and in academia.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

Absolam wrote: »
    Can you provide your basis for thinking that 99.9% of the public would agree with you but only about 30% have the balls to admit it?

Or when you prefaced your statement with 'I think that' should you really have prefaced it with 'I'm totally making it up that'?

So you think that I am wrong when I say that the Muslims should have to tolerate our culture if they come to Ireland, and not we there's?

Care to offer an opinion rather on my point rather than trying to disect my use of language to illustrate my opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I got about one minute into the first video but gave up because I couldn't understand a word..
    What you guys need is googletranslate.app/jive on your browser.

On a completely separate topic, a beach in La Jolla, California became the frontline of what appears to be another SJW-style war. This one involves two sides videoing each other, accusations of harassment, violence, children and seals.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/582/when-the-beasts-come-marching-in?act=1#play

robindch wrote: »
    On a completely separate topic, a beach in La Jolla, California became the frontline of what appears to be another SJW-style war. This one involves two sides videoing each other, accusations of harassment, violence, children and seals.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/582/when-the-beasts-come-marching-in?act=1#play

Gah, sjw's infused with eco-mentalism helen lovejoyism, so long as you aren't harassing the seals they will be fine, they are wild animals, humans feeding gawping and pawing at them will do no harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Asaiah wrote: »
    So you think that I am wrong when I say that the Muslims should have to tolerate our culture if they come to Ireland, and not we there's?
    Well, I don't think you're wrong when you say it's as far as you're concerned. Since the only backup you've offered for your point is a blatantly made up statistic, I think I'll reserve judgement.
    Care to offer an opinion rather on my point rather than trying to disect my use of language to illustrate my opinion?
    Sure; if the best you can offer to support your opinion is the frankly farcical notion that 99.9% of the public would agree with you but only about 30% have the balls to admit it, it's likely your point is neither well thought out, nor based on anything more substantial than your imagination.

Personally I think there's room in Ireland to make a little space to accommodate aspects of other cultures, just as I think most Muslims who come to Ireland make an effort to adapt to our ways to some degree or another. If you think that does any injustice to your point, I'm happy to consider anything you'd like to offer, though I'm sure you'll understand why I'd prefer you to cite a source for any further statistics?

Well, I don't think you're wrong when you say it's as far as you're concerned. Since the only backup you've offered for your point is a blatantly made up statistic, I think I'll reserve judgement.

Sure; if the best you can offer to support your opinion is the frankly farcical notion that 99.9% of the public would agree with you but only about 30% have the balls to admit it, it's likely your point is neither well thought out, nor based on anything more substantial than your imagination.

Personally I think there's room in Ireland to make a little space to accommodate aspects of other cultures, just as I think most Muslims who come to Ireland make an effort to adapt to our ways to some degree or another. If you think that does any injustice to your point, I'm happy to consider anything you'd like to offer, though I'm sure you'll understand why I'd prefer you to cite a source for any further statistics?

Do you also ask your friends and family to cite sources for thier opinions during conversation? Do you know what an opinion is?

Seriously I gave my opinion , I even used the word's I THINK to illustrate this, but instead of addressing the sentiment (IE that I believe Muslims should tolorate our culture if they move to Ireland and that most would agree, although many are afraid to admit it) you try to drag the debate down to my use of language, which is actually a typical tactic of the left.

Here is a newsflash. A person can have an opinion and a chat without having to cite sources for his/her opinoins, they can even use made up percentages to illustrate a point. ( 99% instead of the word MOST for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Do you also ask your friends and family to cite sources for thier opinions during conversation? Do you know what an opinion is?
    I don't and I do, thanks :)
    Seriously I gave my opinion , I even used the word's I THINK to illustrate this, but instead of addressing the sentiment (IE that I believe Muslims should tolorate our culture if they move to Ireland and that most would agree, although many are afraid to admit it) you try to drag the debate down to my use of language, which is actually a typical tactic of the left..
    My apologies; you seem to have missed where I addressed your sentiment. I've linked it for you.
    Here is a newsflash. A person can have an opinion and a chat without having to cite sources for his/her opinoins, they can even use made up percentages to illustrate a point. ( 99% instead of the word MOST for example).
    Well.... I'm blown away, I never knew that. Have you noticed that when people use made up percentages to illustrate a point, other people tend to treat the point as made up?

I don't and I do, thanks :)

My apologies; you seem to have missed where I addressed your sentiment. I've linked it for you.
    Well.... I'm blown away, I never knew that. Have you noticed that when people use made up percentages to illustrate a point, other people tend to treat the point as made up?
    No becuase I am not a pedantic idiot halfwit.

.....what does the above mean exactly, can I ask. Some specific examples would be helpful.

No becuase I am not a pedantic idiot halfwit.
    Asaiah - the forum charter is here.

Please read it.

Thanks.

silverharp wrote: »
    careful, the Feminists are coming after your science grants
    Jerry Coyne looks into Mark Carey's claim that his study on feminist glaciers was "misunderstood". And figures that it wasn't.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/postmodern-glacier-professor-defends-his-study-says-it-was-misunderstood-it-wasnt/

Completely and utterly pathetic. The decline of the American university continues apace. If you are that mentally fragile your area of study does not deserve to have a place in university and neither do you.

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students-express-discontent-with-administrative-response-to-trump-chalkings/

Overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,

“How can you not [disavow Trump] when Trump’s platform and his values undermine Emory’s values that I believe are diversity and inclusivity when they are obviously not [something that Trump supports]” one student said tearfully

University President James W. Wagner, who had been standing just inside the threshold of the door, had been called into the board room by students and listened at the head of the table while they described how the appearance of the chalkings made them feel.

“[Faculty] are supporting this rhetoric by not ending it,” said one student, who went on to say that “people of color are struggling academically because they are so focused on trying to have a safe community and focus on these issues [related to having safe spaces on campus].”

381430.jpg

Any chance of a larger photograph?

• Advertisement

Any chance of a larger photograph?

Ha, it was the one that came with the article, I forgot some of you are still on dial up

Advertisement