Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ha, it was the one that came with the article, I forgot some of you are still on dial up
    I'm not on dial up, but I left my 42 inch screen at home.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Very interesting discussion between Sam Harris and Jonathan Haidt on the trend of cracking down on unpleasant speech by the left and in universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Completely and utterly pathetic. The decline of the American university continues apace. If you are that mentally fragile your area of study does not deserve to have a place in university and neither do you.

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students-express-discontent-with-administrative-response-to-trump-chalkings/

Overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,

“How can you not [disavow Trump] when Trump’s platform and his values undermine Emory’s values that I believe are diversity and inclusivity when they are obviously not [something that Trump supports]” one student said tearfully

University President James W. Wagner, who had been standing just inside the threshold of the door, had been called into the board room by students and listened at the head of the table while they described how the appearance of the chalkings made them feel.

“[Faculty] are supporting this rhetoric by not ending it,” said one student, who went on to say that “people of color are struggling academically because they are so focused on trying to have a safe community and focus on these issues [related to having safe spaces on campus].”

[IMG.]http://emorywheel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_5790.jpg[/IMG]
    You left out the part about there being only 40 or so protesters. Protesting students gonna protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

You left out the part about there being only 40 or so protesters. Protesting students gonna protest.

The issue is the school acknowledged them, and the president meeting with them, not the actual protest, also this statement the university put out. The University is siding with the "40 or so" nutters is the issue.

"The following day, University President James W. Wagner, as well as representatives from College Council (CC) and Student Government Association (SGA) sent emails to the Emory community to address student concerns and responses. In his University-wide email, Wagner wrote that he intends to implement “immediate refinements to certain policy and procedural deficiencies, regular and structured opportunities for difficult dialogues, a formal process to institutionalize identification, review and [the] addressing of social justice opportunities and issues and a commitment to an annual retreat to renew our efforts.” Wagner added in his email that the previous day’s chalkings represented “values regarding diversity and respect that clash with Emory’s own.”

In the joint email sent on behalf of CC and SGA, representatives wrote that they “remain unapologetically dedicated to inclusion, diversity and equity,” and that both institutions will stand in solidarity with any Emory students who have encountered a lack of safety and support. To provide Emory students an opportunity to discuss such support and inclusivity on Emory’s campus, SGA will hold office hours on Thursday, March 24 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and CC will hold office hours on Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.

According to the Dobbs University Center’s (DUC) Posting Policy, chalking must be reserved and approved through Emory’s campus reservation service, 25Live. The Posting Policy says that: chalk cannot be on columns or walls, it must be done on horizontal, ground surfaces and areas where rain can easily wash it away. Failure to comply with these policies results in a clean up fee. Chalking also may only remain for 48 hours. After this time, another group can chalk, if they reserve their chalking through 25Live.

The DUC’s Posting Policy also points out that the DUC is guided by the University’s policy on open expression, and any member of the Emory community who violates the open expression of others will be held in violation of said policy.

According to Emory University’s Open Expression Policy 8.14.5.8, “nonpersonal protests” such as chalking, should follow “all applicable flyer posting policies and banner reservation rules.” It also states that “no nonpersonal protests will be denied because of the content” of the display as long as they falls within the law, and that members of the community who “deface the open expression of others” are also violating this policy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Completely and utterly pathetic. The decline of the American university continues apace. If you are that mentally fragile your area of study does not deserve to have a place in university and neither do you.

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students-express-discontent-with-administrative-response-to-trump-chalkings/

Overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,

“How can you not [disavow Trump] when Trump’s platform and his values undermine Emory’s values that I believe are diversity and inclusivity when they are obviously not [something that Trump supports]” one student said tearfully

University President James W. Wagner, who had been standing just inside the threshold of the door, had been called into the board room by students and listened at the head of the table while they described how the appearance of the chalkings made them feel.

“[Faculty] are supporting this rhetoric by not ending it,” said one student, who went on to say that “people of color are struggling academically because they are so focused on trying to have a safe community and focus on these issues [related to having safe spaces on campus].”

Seems unreasonable. What can the University realistically do here?

Are students allowed to openly support political candidates while on campus?

How far down the slippery slope can they go with this? Say it ends up being Trump vs Clinton for the presidency. Students are basically forced to shut up about their voting intentions unless they are voting for Clinton?

Actually, since anyone who doesn't outright say they won't vote Trump "shows that they, by their silence, support it as well", students are basically forced to vocally support Clinton in order to avoid suspicion?

• Advertisement

stunmer wrote: »
    Very interesting discussion between Sam Harris and Jonathan Haidt on the trend of cracking down on unpleasant speech by the left and in universities.

I suppose I'd consider an environment like a Church or an AA meeting to be a "Safe Space".

Somewhere people can go to chat with like minded individuals. A place to discuss or learn about very specific worldviews without needing to worry about someone jumping out of their seat and roaring about how Jesus isn't real or how we should stop being massive bores and have a drink.

It seems like Universities in the USA are becoming a lot more like religious organizations. You won't really be welcome there unless you hold specific beliefs.

The reaction towards videos shown in the classroom etc if also very similar to religious organisations. Like religious parents going nuts when they discover the content in Harry Potter or Pokemon. You know, it's corrupting the youth and all that so it must be banned.

I wonder if this stuff will continue to escalate or if it will run out of steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Being gay is not enough to be gay apparently, if you can make sense of that the Riemann hypothesis still needs solving

NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because ‘they don’t face oppression’
    The National Union of Students’ LGBT Campaign has passed a motion calling for the abolition of representatives for gay men – because they “don’t face oppression” in the LGBT community.
    The NUS LGBT+ Campaign discussed the issue at its annual conference, which took place in Sheffield this week.
    At the event, delegates passed a motion that blames “cis gay men” for “misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia”.
    It says: “Misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia are often present in LGBT+ societies. This is unfortunately more likely to occur when the society is dominated by white cis gay men.”
    The motion continues to call on LGBT societies at universities – many of whom have dedicated reps for lesbians, trans people, bi people and gay men – to abolish the role for gay men.
    It continues: “The reps system exists to ensure that societies committees can always have a reserved place for groups which disproportionately face oppression within the LGBT+ community.
    “Gay men do not face oppression as gay men within the LGBT+ community and do not need a reserved place on society committees.”
    It goes on to “encourage LGBT+ Societies that have a gay men’s rep to drop the position”.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,914 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

silverharp wrote: »
    Being gay is not enough to be gay apparently, if you can make sense of that the Riemann hypothesis still needs solving

NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because ‘they don’t face oppression’

"Gay men don't face oppression, so let's give them something to feel oppressed about" :pac:

It was only a few days ago I was reading an article about an argument being made to exclude the T from LGBT.

There was a time when QUILTBAG and FABGLITTER stood for something!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

orubiru wrote: »
    Seems unreasonable. What can the University realistically do here?

Are students allowed to openly support political candidates while on campus?

How far down the slippery slope can they go with this? Say it ends up being Trump vs Clinton for the presidency. Students are basically forced to shut up about their voting intentions unless they are voting for Clinton?

Actually, since anyone who doesn't outright say they won't vote Trump "shows that they, by their silence, support it as well", students are basically forced to vocally support Clinton in order to avoid suspicion?

This is the interesting point in all this. Trump is odds on the be the GOP nominee. So what happens come election time? People will be banned from the University from canvessing votes for him? Will the University become a one-party university therefore? Downright dangerous move. The University should come out strongly against this feeble mindedness by some students instead of placating to them.

The excuse as well that people of colour of struggling academicly because of their continued fight for safe spaces is South Park-esque. I am sure the student will provide evidence of this claim? Thought not.

White student "assaulted"/accosted by black student/campus employee for "cultural appropriation", yep, I'd say this **** has had its day, it was funny, but when they are confronting people its time to start a purge of this nonsense from the public/educational sphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Careful... 'purge' could be a trigger word.

priceless when she sees the camera at the end, what a nasty piece of work though. The grin on her face pure bully, lol if this has gone viral, she will hopefully be looking for a new job

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

its getting closer, im not sure if the irish sea is a good enough barrier :pac:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3520620/University-student-threatened-removed-meeting-violated-safe-space-rules-putting-hand-up.html

University student is ordered not to put her hand up to ask a question because she would be violating her classmates' 'safe space'
    Imogen Wilson raised her hand to make a point at student council meeting
    She was told off for invading the 'safe space' by also shaking her head
    A petition has now started against the student association-backed policy

A student was almost kicked out of a meeting after she violated a 'safe space' by raising her arm at Edinburgh University.
    Imogen Wilson wanted to make a point at Thursday's student council session when she was told off by officials.
    The vice-president for academic affairs at the university's Student Association was accused of failing disabled students by not responding to an open letter.
    She immediately raised her arm to disagree but was made the subject of a 'ludicrous' complaint and told not to make the gesture again.
    Imogen was also warned for shaking her head during the meeting as it again breached the 'safe space' which is part of the university's Student Association rules.
    She told The Huffington Post: '...I raised my arms in disagreement, as we had contacted the writers of the letter and tried hard to organise a meeting. It was for that reason that a safe space complaint was made.'
    Student Association policy says that council members should be respectful and considerate.
    Section 6c of the safe space policy is defined as: 'Refraining from hand gestures which denote disagreement or in any other way indicating disagreement with a point or points being made. Disagreements should only be evident through the normal course of debate.'
    A vote took place to decide whether Imogen should be removed from the meeting after she was accused of breaking the rules.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"Passive racism" is a new one to me, but this ad and this story concerning clothing store "Gap" demonstrate it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35968787

382451.jpg

Are Gap saying that white people can't Love?

Reminds me of the Thomas the Tank engine effort.

#BlackFictionalAdvertisingCharacter'sLivesMatter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robindch wrote: »
    "Passive racism" is a new one to me, but this ad and this story concerning clothing store "Gap" demonstrate it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35968787

382451.jpg

I actually feel dirty because I knew what the problem was before reading the BBC article. I despair.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    I actually feel dirty because I knew what the problem was before reading the BBC article.
    Look on the bright side - I thought the problem was "no disabled/no asians" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

If you want real passive racism then you need the original power rangers and how they coordinated the colours.

robindch wrote: »
    Look on the bright side - I thought the problem was "no disabled/no asians" :o

in a few years time these will be game show questions :pac:

• Advertisement

Trinity students take ‘privilege walk’ to highlight access issues

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/trinity-students-take-privilege-walk-to-highlight-access-issues-1.2599225

The event, organised by the Trinity Accesss Programme (Tap) in conjunction with the university’s equality fund, sees the front square covered with lines.
    “We have put a line right across the square and everyone will start from the centre line,” explains Ruane.
    “We are calling out questions, and the questions are based around sexual orientation, class, gender, disability, down to more simple questions like whether there were books in your house when you were growing up.
    “The person who has had the privilege will take a step forward and if you haven’t had that privilege, you will take a step back. Usually the people in the front are the most privileged of the cohort that have participated.”
    Ruane makes it all sound so easy, but the idea of standing up and having your “privilege” checked may worry many, we suggest.
    “We don’t want to make you feel bad for having a privilege, it’s more about taking a pause and asking is it fair that someone is behind me just because of where they live or maybe because of their gender or sexual orientation?
    So who is at the top of the privilege line?
    Ruane laughs. “Probably young males… middle-class... white….straight…able bodied….”
    Asked where she fits in, Ruane replies: “Obviously, due to social mobility, your privilege changes.”
    She has completed three years of her politics and philosophy degree and has a year to go after she finishes up as union president. She is now seeking election to the Seanad on the TCD panel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's that, I hear? Is it the sound of a student politician ticking boxes?

I cant believe people like this exist in Ireland, you can understand the US and Britain as they have the numbers for it, but ffs, "muh straight white male", give me a break

I cant believe people like this exist in Ireland, you can understand the US and Britain as they have the numbers for it, but ffs, "muh straight white male", give me a break

it sounds retarded when you put it that way

Rumors of a klansman on campus have proven false after a priest innocently made his way through Bloomington.

Last night around 9:15 PM, social media became a furious storm of confusion regarding a man in white robes roaming along 10th St. and purportedly armed with a whip.

Students thought the white robes indicated Klu Klux Klan affiliation.

http://thetab.com/us/indiana/2016/04/05/last-night-white-robed-priest-mistaken-armed-kkk-klansman-1804

12919615-986749844745129-8829336422018919141-n-e1459867069214.jpg?resize=296%2C156&ssl=1

screen-shot-2016-04-06-at-33448-pm-copy.png?resize=503%2C207&ssl=1

first comment on the article is lol
    Seanb • a day ago
    college campuses have become the land of the Eloi -- a place where ignorant half-naked young people frolic about knowing neither good nor evil.

I don't understand why any straight white male would actually want to attend an event like this. You already know what the result is going to be!

I'd almost be embarrassed for the person who takes the most steps forward and the person who takes the most steps back.

I thought University would have been full of kids trying to "one up" each other with how much privilege they have. Comparing cars or clothes or vacations etc.

Instead it's like they are actually trying to compete over who has the least privilege.

What do they actually get out of it? Say you manage to convince these students that you're totally the most downtrodden and don't have any privileges, then what? They buy you a house? Send you on a once in a lifetime vacation?

Don't these kids actually have to step over sleeping, homeless, white, men on their way to class in the mornings?

Would those guys take 4 steps forward for being white, male, straight and able bodied but only one step back for being homeless?

Weird.

I don't understand why any straight white male would actually want to attend an event like this. You already know what the result is going to be!

I'd almost be embarrassed for the person who takes the most steps forward and the person who takes the most steps back.

I thought University would have been full of kids trying to "one up" each other with how much privilege they have. Comparing cars or clothes or vacations etc.

Instead it's like they are actually trying to compete over who has the least privilege.

What do they actually get out of it? Say you manage to convince these students that you're totally the most downtrodden and don't have any privileges, then what? They buy you a house? Send you on a once in a lifetime vacation?

Don't these kids actually have to step over sleeping, homeless, white, men on their way to class in the mornings?

Would those guys take 4 steps forward for being white, male, straight and able bodied but only one step back for being homeless?

Weird.

indeed, I just stumbled over this , I couldnt finish watching it for the cringe

What do they actually get out of it?
    Two things that I see - firstly, elevated victim status, allowing one to say + do what one wants with little fear of facing disagreement, thereby raising one's social status/social power; and secondly, it's open virtue-signalling which, like prayer, is something that's easy to do, easy to be seen to do and avoids responsibility to do something to resolve the problem which one is allegedly "highlighting".

Weird.

SJW&M ?

• Advertisement

indeed, I just stumbled over this , I couldnt finish watching it for the cringe

Already a minute in there are obvious flaws with this concept.

People taking a step back because they have been "passed over for an employment position based on gender, ethnicity, etc"... how could they POSSIBLY know that? It's an assumption at best, surely? I doubt many employers are saying "we didn't give you the job cos yer black" or whatever, right?

Fair enough with things like your family having health insurance. That definitely sounds like a privilege.

Simply being born in Ireland is a privilege? How does that work?

"If you feel unsafe walking alone at night..." Surely that is entirely subjective?

Even if I did feel safe at night how is "feeling safe" a privilege? I might not actually be safe.

I don't understand how a step back for not having one privilege is cancelled out with a step forward for having a different privilege.

If Student A was born in Ireland and he speaks English as his first language then that's two steps forward, great. He was stabbed in the back on a night out once so now he feels unsafe walking home at night, that's ONLY one step back? Ridiculous.

From the questions asked, you could reasonably end up in a situation where a student who was assaulted and is now afraid to go out, doesn't have health insurance and doesn't have a supportive family is still more privileged than a student who's rich parents have sent them to Ireland to study at Trinity.

What are the students supposed to gain from this? A sense of bitterness from realizing that no matter how crappy your life is people will see you, and dismiss you, as "privileged" because of how you appear on the surface?

Advertisement