Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

I actually see a business opening here, open up one of those "age clinics" in the city center, start prescribing testosterone to college age beta male students.

This takes the cake. No one can top this. Privilege walks? Thats just for beginners.

"I was raped by a man
    I am a heterosexual man who was raped by a Somali asylum seeker. My life fell into gravel, but now I feel guilt for which he was sent out of the country.

How is it to be young HTVs, feminist and anti-racist, and raped by a Somali man?"

"But I also got a strong sense of guilt and responsibility. It was I who was the reason why he should not be left in Norway, but rather be late for a very uncertain future in Somalia. He had already served his sentence in prison. Should he now be punished again? And this time much harder?"

I've learned that the culture in which the rapist comes from is so totally different from ours.

We must help
    I stand rock solid in my opinion that the people he needs our help. I want us to continue to help refugees with such a background.

"I do not feel anger toward my assault man, for I see him most as a product of an unjust world. A product of an upbringing marked by war and deprivation"

http://www.nrk.no/ytring/jeg-ble-voldtatt-av-en-mann-1.12852714

Brainwashing complete, you can literally be raped by an "asylum seeker" and not have any change of opinion, you become even more entrenched in your nu-male mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I like the way health insurance is considered a privilege, but arguably the biggest medical privilege of all, the Medical card doesn't get a mention.

The career progression of the lady who was involved with this is worrying as well.
    She has completed three years of her politics and philosophy degree and has a year to go after she finishes up as union president.
    She is now seeking election to the Seanad on the TCD panel.
    We could see more and more of this Identity politics nonsense being brought into the wider political domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

I like the way health insurance is considered a privilege, but arguably the biggest medical privilege of all, the Medical card doesn't get a mention.

The career progression of the lady who was involved with this is worrying as well.

We could see more and more of this Identity politics nonsense being brought into the wider political domain.

I'd imagine that it eventually has to stop somewhere.

Otherwise we'll find ourselves sitting around comparing privileges forever.

How does The Privilege Game actually work though? I understand that there is prejudice in society and that people from certain backgrounds etc are more likely to be victimized but surely you don't gain or lose a privilege until something affects you directly?

In America people will say that white privilege is not being shot by the police. Everyone who has never been shot by the police is currently availing of that privilege though, right? Just as everyone who has been shot by cops has lost their privilege.

It seems to me like a very clumsy metric for measuring anything, really.

The fact that Batman and Superman are white dudes doesn't really do anything to help people who are struggling to get by.

The star of the latest Hollywood blockbuster has the same skin tone as me. Plus 1 Privilege Point.

I lost my job last week though. Minus 1 Privilege Point.

Most TV presenters are male, just like me! Plus 1 Privilege Point!

I was seriously injured in an accident at work. Minus 1 Privilege Point.

People of my gender are less likely to be harassed in the street. Plus 1 Privilege Point.

Harassed in the street yesterday. Minus 1 Privilege Point.

It's such an odd system of measurement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

orubiru wrote: »
    Don't these kids actually have to step over sleeping, homeless, white, men on their way to class in the mornings?
    But now they can feel good about themselves as they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

When social Justice Warriors go rogue.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/04/06/mom-unleashes-fury-after-spanish-teacher-sends-children-home-with-this-privilege-assignment/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=ShareButtons

Mom Unleashes Fury After Spanish Teacher Sends Children Home With This ‘Privilege’ Assignment
    The mother of a Tampa, Florida, seventh-grader is speaking out after finding an assignment given to her 12-year-old daughter and other students in Spanish class at Monroe Junior High.

The form asked, “How much privilege do you have? Circle the boxes that apply to you.”

The categories on the form listed “Race,” “Skin Color,” “Religion,” “Sex,” “Gender,” “Sexual Orientation” and “Disability.”

The options under gender included, “cisgendered,” “transgendered” or “genderqueer.”

Gina Stiles, the mother of one student in the class, was disturbed by the assignment and posted it on her Facebook page, asking, “If your child came home and told you that their teacher gave them this to fill out, what would you do?”

She told WTSP-TV that her daughter is only 12 years old and doesn’t even know many of the terms listed on the sheet.

After Stiles voiced her objection to the assignment on social media, she and a group of other parents met with Monroe Junior High Principal Pete Magara.

Following the meeting, the school district removed the teacher from the classroom and has opened an investigation into the matter.

Tanya Arja, the spokesperson for the Hillsborough County School District, told TheBlaze that the “lesson was a teacher-generated assignment without district approval.”

“We expect our teachers to provide a safe environment and this assignment could compromise that environment,” Arja told TheBlaze.

The unnamed teacher behind the assignment told local media the exercise was meant to teach students about “diversity” and “inequality.”

When Stiles heard the teacher’s explanation she told WTSP-TV, “To me that has nothing to do with Spanish. You’re here to teach my child a foreign language, not anything else.”

CfW-wqOWwAAVvFP.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Communion without the Catholicism"

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/communion-without-the-catholicism-1.2595398
    Ceremony day arrived and Myself in the World: a Celebration of the Stage of Responsibility took place over an hour in a beautiful hired space overlooking nature in Glasnevin. The themes were: myself, my family, my community, growth, responsibility, resilience and joy.

Variously, through spoken word, readings, art, music, dance and a guided mindfulness meditation, each child played their part, their trepidation turning to courage and pride as their rite of passage was honoured.

Well-intentioned but comes across as oh so achingly precious and twee. The name sounds like something Sorcha O'Carroll-Kelly would come up with.

What's so special about age 8 anyway? It's only a milestone because the other kids in her ET class were making their communion - no less than two-thirds of them according to the article!

Must be very galling to non-catholic parents in that area who missed out on an ET place and now have to send their kids to an RC school, possibly outside their area, and suffer indoctrination and an unwelcome 'ethos'. Meanwhile the cultural catholics not only have priority in 90% of the schools, they occupy 2/3rds of the ET places as well, forcing out kids who are bottom of the admission list in 96% of schools.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

The latest appeal to weakness from feminism, the glorification of STD's, this is literally one step from those lads who actively seek out hiv infection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Being poor isn't a privilege. Everyone should have a right to medical care, and the medical card simply affords this right to those who may not be able to express that right otherwise due to financial circumstances.
    recedite wrote: »
    But now they can feel good about themselves as they do it.
    Very good.

Canadel wrote: »
    Being poor isn't a privilege.
    Who said it was?
    Everyone should have a right to medical care, and the medical card simply affords this right to those who may not be able to express that right otherwise due to financial circumstances.
    The medical card only covers some of the people who can't afford medical care.
    This article from the middle of last year puts the number of people who have no medical card or insurance at 25% of the population.
    For them and probably a lot of people on very basic health insurance packages the medical card is definitely a privilege.

• Advertisement

Who said it was?

The medical card only covers some of the people who can't afford medical care.
    This article from the middle of last year puts the number of people who have no medical card or insurance at 25% of the population.
    For them and probably a lot of people on very basic health insurance packages the medical card is definitely a privilege.
    They're not poor enough to qualify for a medical card..

Medical cards are not a privilege. They are a necessity for poor people.

They're not poor enough to qualify for a medical card..
    Which doesn't suddenly make them able to afford private health insurance or to pay their way themselves.
    Medical cards are not a privilege. They are a necessity for poor people.
    Really, almost free healthcare is not a privilege?
    Knowing that you can go to a GP when you're sick and not have to first think "Can I afford the €60 charge" is not a privilege?

Which doesn't suddenly make them able to afford private health insurance or to pay their way themselves.
    No, it doesn't. People have to prioritise their spending I suppose. It's ****ty but it's not really the point here.
    Really, almost free healthcare is not a privilege?
    Knowing that you can go to a GP when you're sick and not have to first think "Can I afford the €60 charge" is not a privilege?
    Many people who qualify for medical cards can not afford the charge. Are you suggesting they should simply get sicker and sicker? Saying those people having a medical card is a privilege is basically saying being poor is a privilege because you qualify for a medical card if you're poor. At most you could argue it's a privilege of being poor but that's pretty much an oxymoron in itself.

No, it doesn't. People have to prioritise their spending I suppose. It's ****ty but it's not really the point here.

Many people who qualify for medical cards can not afford the charge. Are you suggesting they should simply get sicker and sicker? Saying those people having a medical card is a privilege is basically saying being poor is a privilege because you qualify for a medical card if you're poor. At most you could argue it's a privilege of being poor but that's pretty much an oxymoron in itself.

Of course free healthcare is a privilege, just as living in a nation that offers free healthcare is a privilege.

Take two people living below the poverty line. One has access to free health care, the other doesn't. Clearly the free healthcare is a privilege.

However, I don't think it would be fair if we told that person availing of free healthcare that they are "privileged" because they are obviously really struggling to get by.

Nobody wants to be poor. Struggling to make ends meet, struggling to feed and protect your kids, is an awful situation to be in. However, free healthcare etc are still privileges. You just wouldn't get up in someones face over how they are enjoying the privilege of free healthcare when you know damn well that they are struggling to put food on the table. "Check your privilege"? It doesn't work.

Just the same as it's unfair to talk about "Male Privilege" or "White Privilege" when we all know damn well that plenty of men and plenty of white people are also struggling badly in our society. Meanwhile, many relatively rich non-males and non-whites are bleating about their lack of privilege? It's a bad joke.

This is the stupidity of ideas like this "Privilege Walk". Yes, one might experience the "privilege" of feeling safe at night but it doesn't necessarily mean that this person belongs to some kind of privileged class.

The idea that certain groups have privileges that they don't deserve can be a dangerous one depending on how far it is taken. We can see this in a historical context, right?

I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that the rich are more privileged than the poor but it's a bit daft to tally up the "privileges" of regular people and then try to play them off against each other.

It's really kind of pathetic to see groups of university students essentially squabbling over who is the most oppressed. Like it's become a shameful thing to admit that you might be doing well in life.

If you're privileged enough to attend the Privilege Walk then does it even really matter exactly how privileged you are? Surely there's a point where you have enough privilege that you shouldn't really need an in depth assessment to check your privilege?

Of course free healthcare is a privilege, just as living in a nation that offers free healthcare is a privilege.

Take two people living below the poverty line. One has access to free health care, the other doesn't. Clearly the free healthcare is a privilege.

However, I don't think it would be fair if we told that person availing of free healthcare that they are "privileged" because they are obviously really struggling to get by.

Nobody wants to be poor. Struggling to make ends meet, struggling to feed and protect your kids, is an awful situation to be in. However, free healthcare etc are still privileges. You just wouldn't get up in someones face over how they are enjoying the privilege of free healthcare when you know damn well that they are struggling to put food on the table. "Check your privilege"? It doesn't work.
    If a person is going to die or simply get much sicker without the free healthcare, then I consider it a necessity to survival rather than a privilege.

Just because others have to pay for something, does not make it a privilege for those who do not have to pay.

If a person is going to die or simply get much sicker without the free healthcare, then I consider it a necessity to survival rather than a privilege.

Just because others have to pay for something, does not make it a privilege for those who do not have to pay.

Uhm, it does indeed.
    a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/privilege

Unless you're using a different definition from the standard?

Guardian writers shocked at being called out on the ****e they spew, do the unwashed masses not know their betters...
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments
    "Imagine going to work every day and walking through a gauntlet of 100 people saying "You're stupid", "You're terrible", "You suck", "I can't believe you get paid for this". It's a terrible way to go to work'"
    Jessica Valenti, Guardian writer

The Guardian has already taken the decision to cut down the number of places where comments are open on stories relating to a few particularly contentious subjects, such as migration and race. This allows moderators to keep a closer watch on conversations that we know are more likely to attract abuse.

The Guardian solution to accusations of censorship, class everything as abuse and harassment.

silverharp wrote: »
    Amazing that some people will stay try to claim that Political Correctness and
    even "safe space" stuff is made up by the right to undermine the left.

Already a minute in there are obvious flaws with this concept.

People taking a step back because they have been "passed over for an employment position based on gender, ethnicity, etc"... how could they POSSIBLY know that? It's an assumption at best, surely? I doubt many employers are saying "we didn't give you the job cos yer black" or whatever, right?

Fair enough with things like your family having health insurance. That definitely sounds like a privilege.

Simply being born in Ireland is a privilege? How does that work?

"If you feel unsafe walking alone at night..." Surely that is entirely subjective?

Even if I did feel safe at night how is "feeling safe" a privilege? I might not actually be safe.

I don't understand how a step back for not having one privilege is cancelled out with a step forward for having a different privilege.

If Student A was born in Ireland and he speaks English as his first language then that's two steps forward, great. He was stabbed in the back on a night out once so now he feels unsafe walking home at night, that's ONLY one step back? Ridiculous.

From the questions asked, you could reasonably end up in a situation where a student who was assaulted and is now afraid to go out, doesn't have health insurance and doesn't have a supportive family is still more privileged than a student who's rich parents have sent them to Ireland to study at Trinity.

What are the students supposed to gain from this? A sense of bitterness from realizing that no matter how crappy your life is people will see you, and dismiss you, as "privileged" because of how you appear on the surface?
    I'm actually loving it. It's funny really, if I were there I would be taking a step back because despite being white and not sounding like a Traveler I have every right to call myself one, would they just take my word for it.
    Also I wonder about the being born in Ireland thing. Anyone who's been to Trinity knows well that the vast majority of non-Irish students have a fair bit of "privilege" in their upbringing.

Guardian writers shocked at being called out on the ****e they spew, do the unwashed masses not know their betters...
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments
    "Imagine going to work every day and walking through a gauntlet of 100 people saying "You're stupid", "You're terrible", "You suck", "I can't believe you get paid for this". It's a terrible way to go to work'"
    Jessica Valenti, Guardian writer

The Guardian has already taken the decision to cut down the number of places where comments are open on stories relating to a few particularly contentious subjects, such as migration and race. This allows moderators to keep a closer watch on conversations that we know are more likely to attract abuse.

The Guardian solution to accusations of censorship, class everything as abuse and harassment.

"Conversations about crosswords, cricket, horse racing and jazz were respectful; discussions about the Israel/Palestine conflict were not."
    Yes, well that's a REALLY big surprise, isn't it?

They may as well just shut down comments completely to be honest.

Lewis' Law : The comments on any article about Feminism justify Feminism.
    What a load of nonsense.

Usually, within the first 10 comments on any article about Feminism a random commenter will make a more reasonable, level headed and accurate post that either contradicts or completely debunks the points made by the author. This comment will also be better written than the article itself. The author will then refuse to address the points, preferring instead to demonize the people commenting or to start bleating about "whataboutery" etc.

I get the logic behind that, of course. You don't need some army of posters coming in and opposing the points you are trying to make.

People would be better off just admitting "yes, we want an echo chamber" and then shut down the comments sections permanently.

So, this is my objection to MRAs. Most things they consider to be "Mens Rights" easily just apply to women too. Even if we are taking about divorce settlements or custody of kids where maybe the statistics favor women we are should still really be aiming for both parents to get a fair opportunity. It's not really "Mens Rights". You'd be better off supporting groups that are concerned with "Human Rights". It's just one big echo chamber. On the other side though you have people using "MRA" as if it is some kind of extremist right wing group and that's also not really true.

There are two sides in a lot of these "debates" and there are prominent people on both sides. They never seem to engage with each other though. Well, other than to call each other names.

See also, discussions on Gamergate etc. Eventually you'll see that there is a double standard and that many of the people writing these articles or making these videos, on both sides, are just looking to get into, or start, arguments so that they can make a bit of money or make a name for themselves.

The Guardian would be better off if someone in charge looked at Jessica Valenti's articles, realized that some of them might be objectionable and then watched the situation as it unfolds. If a comment section gets out of hand then shut it down, delete the comments and then pay another writer to create a researched, measured, response that is as professional as the original article.

Don't allow her to knowingly write absolute trash and then whine when people tell her she sucks or her opinions are terrible. If her ideas can't stand up to scrutiny then why is she writing for you in the first place?

How difficult would that actually be? If your provocative Feminist writers are generating some heat then why not allow someone to make a counter article?

I see that your video there is from Sargon of Akkad so why not use him as an example? Let's say the Guardian posts an article about Gamergate. The comments section blows up. This at least implies that the public opinion is split. So the people in charge just shut down the comments section, delete everything and then get in touch with Sargon, or whoever. "We published this article and our comments section went crazy, would you like to write an article giving the other side of the story".

Is this not how the old radio phone in shows would work? The host makes a objectionable statement and the public calls in and they have a good old back and forth argument.

The Guardian are basically admitting here that they know that some of their articles generate massive levels of disagreement but their solution is based on silencing those voices rather than engaging with them.

Imagine starting a thread... "We need Creationism in schools because..." and the Mod Notes are "no discussion about the age of the Earth", "posters mentioning Natural Selection will be banned".

What's the point, really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You'd have to wonder how the trigger warning brigade cope with watching the 6.1 news. Gangland murders in Dublin, and all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So is the Guardian going to change its motto to "Comment Isn't Free" ?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

So is the Guardian going to change its motto to "Comment Isn't Free" ?

At last count they have had easily over seven articles decrying their own comment section/readers... Hilarious stuff, must be the first time a major newspaper has declared war on its own readers(well, the ones that dont agree with the political bent of the paper)

let this one sink in

http://www.irishlegal.com/4015/greens-to-propose-offence-for-sex-partners-of-women-who-procure-abortions/

Greens to propose offence for sex partners of women who procure abortions

Men would face prosecution if their sexual partners obtain an illegal abortion after falling pregnant under proposals put forward by the Green Party in Northern Ireland.

Clare Bailey, deputy leader of the Green Party and an election candidate in Belfast South, said she would put forward a private member’s bill to create an offence of “reckless conception” if elected.

She declared the move in a letter to the News Letter in the wake of protests against the sentencing of a 21-year-old woman who illegally induced her miscarriage.

Ms Bailey described the proposed offence as follows:

“Any male who impregnates a female knowing that any pregnancy that may result is unwanted or being reckless as to whether any such pregnancy may result, and the woman chooses to seek to end the pregnancy, shall be guilty of felony and being convicted thereof shall be liable to be imprisoned for life [or to be fined or both].”

She added: “We need to seriously address the issue of abortion. It isn’t going to go away. If other parties continue to block legislative reform, then this alternative approach would bring about equality between men and women, making men equally responsible.

“Northern Ireland has a duty under section 75 to address equality and current legislation directly discriminates against the woman only. This proposal is a way of focusing minds around the issue.

“There is nothing inherently wrong in requiring dual responsibility and if people think this is unfair then the current law is unfair too and should be changed.

“The Offences Against the Persons Act, as currently drafted, effectively means that unless a woman wants to actually get pregnant (ie a wanted pregnancy) then she should exercise appropriate contraceptive choices. This proposed law just means men should do the same.

“Green Party MLAs will continue to raise the issue of abortion in the next Assembly.”

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

IIRC, NI's Greens proposed that law as a tongue-in-cheek response to NI's abortion law.

IIRC, NI's Greens proposed that law as a tongue-in-cheek response to NI's abortion law.

maybe but its difficult to tell the Poe from real news these days, its up to them to pitch it so its not taken seriously

From the same site
    http://www.irishlegal.com/4037/greens-court-controversy-with-proposed-reckless-conception-offence/
    Dublin solicitor Wendy Lyon, who specialises in sexual, reproductive and maternity rights, told Irish Legal News: “I was surprised how many people thought this was a serious proposal, but I suppose that shows how little faith we have in our politicians where reproductive rights are concerned.

“Hopefully this will be followed by real legislation to replace the 1861 Act, and remove the threat of criminalisation faced by unknown numbers of women across Ireland every day.”

maybe but its difficult to tell the Poe from real news these days, its up to them to pitch it so its not taken seriously

Nah, it's absolutely spot on trolling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If it was the DUP proposing this instead of the Greens, I'd have thought it was true.

#sigh

Swedens deputy prime minister refers to the Sept 11th attacks as "accidents", and a "tough situation for young muslims"

https://www.rt.com/news/340219-sweden-scandal-tv-scandal/

Standard off the wall leftism, as usual, the primary victims of islamic terrorism are not the actual physical victims, its muslims themselves... The islamophobic boogeyman of a sideways look at a woman wrapped head to toe in bin liner is far worse than any terrorist attack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

https://www.rt.com/news/340219-sweden-scandal-tv-scandal/

Standard off the wall leftism, as usual [...]
    While RT doesn't appear to have invented this particular story, the primary aim of RT overall is to denigrate and disparage the US, the EU and NATO, in that order.

In terms of overall trustworthiness, it's well beneath the Daily Express, the Daily Mail and other propaganda rags.

Advertisement