Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SCHOOL UNIFORMS (SECONDARY SCHOOL)

• 02-12-2014 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi There,
    I am just wondering people's ideas on School Uniforms in Secondary School's be it you are a Student or a Teacher , I am a Student and I am currently wearing one...

PROBLEMS I AM HAVING:
    1. Sweating - I am constantly sweating in my school uniform even though I wear deodrant.
    2. It is so uncomfortable
    SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT all day long and it's only in my uniform, If i was to wear normal clothes I would not sweat near as much as I do in my School Uniform.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    I think that it is the material of the shirt I wear underneath the uniform jumper and I have searched almost everywhere for a 100% Cotton shirt and no joy, Does anyone know any shops/websites that might sell them - SCHOOL ONES PREFERABLY.
    Has anyone any advice they could give me? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanking You! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If it's a white cotton shirt you need, M&S is worth a look.
    Re the sweating, maybe try an antiperspirant (rather than a deodorant) and obviously wash every morning and use a fresh shirt every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Not sure this is the right forum but here goes anyway.
    Marks and spencers would be a good bet for good quality uniform. Order online if they're not available instore at this time of year. Maybe wait till the sales offering online discounts in the new year and stockpile then.
    Can you see if you can get equivalent shirt in the non uniform department -ie menswear/womenswear. It'll be more expensive but better quality too.

As dee_mc said! use anti persistent rather than deodorant. If things are very bad you may have over active sweat glands -fairly common in teenage yrs when things are all hormonal and adskew anyway. You can get very good and strong anti persistent roll ons in a pharmacy. Ask for them specifically.
    Wash/shower daily esp after sports and first thing in the morning.
    Change the shirts too daily.

Ok that should sort you out.
    If your uniform is one of those that MUST be bought in a particular store it's probably overpriced poor quality crap. I've come across some terrible uniforms in my time. Even had a pe teacher say they wouldn't wear the prescribed pe uniform as it was terrible. But the school was tied in with a particular supplier.
    If this is the case, be persistent with management - get the student union to be proactive and bring the problem to management. Try to source an alternative supplier. Get parents association on board too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Our shirts were absolute horrors to wear when I was in school in the 70's. They were blue and white stripes and masde out of a thick twill. We used to cut the collars off with a bit of front and back and wear that under our jumpers. We looked as though we were in uniform but weren't really .

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Not sure this is the right forum but here goes anyway.
    Marks and spencers would be a good bet for good quality uniform. Order online if they're not available instore at this time of year. Maybe wait till the sales offering online discounts in the new year and stockpile then.
    Can you see if you can get equivalent shirt in the non uniform department -ie menswear/womenswear. It'll be more expensive but better quality too.

As dee_mc said! use anti persistent rather than deodorant. If things are very bad you may have over active sweat glands -fairly common in teenage yrs when things are all hormonal and adskew anyway. You can get very good and strong anti persistent roll ons in a pharmacy. Ask for them specifically.
    Wash/shower daily esp after sports and first thing in the morning.
    Change the shirts too daily.

Ok that should sort you out.
    If your uniform is one of those that MUST be bought in a particular store it's probably overpriced poor quality crap. I've come across some terrible uniforms in my time. Even had a pe teacher say they wouldn't wear the prescribed pe uniform as it was terrible. But the school was tied in with a particular supplier.
    If this is the case, be persistent with management - get the student union to be proactive and bring the problem to management. Try to source an alternative supplier. Get parents association on board too.

Thank You! , Just thought I should tell you the shirt has to be blue and the uniform has to be bought in a certain shop sadly, I even told the shop assistant and she said "I never heard of that before" ??? but anyways , Do you know any particular names of good quality deodorants/anti-perspirants , it's getting to the stage now that I'm just wearing a normal t-shirt under my jumper and just put a jacket over it all day, until I get caught by a teacher or the principal.... Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

jamie124 wrote: »
    Thank You! , Just thought I should tell you the shirt has to be blue and the uniform has to be bought in a certain shop sadly, I even told the shop assistant and she said "I never heard of that before" ??? but anyways , Do you know any particular names of good quality deodorants/anti-perspirants , it's getting to the stage now that I'm just wearing a normal t-shirt under my jumper and just put a jacket over it all day, until I get caught by a teacher or the principal.... Thanks for the advice

I've tried but failed to remember the name but I know my sister used something when she was in school. All I can remember is that it was a roll on and I think she may have it used it every second day? I think it froze the sweat glands as such so prevented them from producing so much sweat. As I said earlier ask a pharmacist and they'll point you in the right direction.
    Also make sure you drink enough water. And don't sit near the rad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You should start with a decent antiperspirant (Dove silver control is supposed to be good, or Right Guard 72 hour) and only use the really strong stuff (such as Bionsen, Driclor and Perspirex) if you find you really need it. Mitchum and Odaban would be somewhere in between in terms of strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Nivea Men Dry Impact Plus 48hrs .. it wont let you down! Although from a health point of view I'm a bit suspect of continuous use of anti perspirants etc.

Or do what yellowlabrador did and cut the collar off and stick it to your jumper with hemming web tape! Dunno if yer ma would allow that though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We used to have ghastly polyester shirts with a small blue and white check. They encouraged sweating so much that everyone's shirts had lost the colour under the arms and had yellow circles instead. I remember one poor girl who had some excessive sweating condition and hers was almost green.

Anyway, if you think even in cotton shirts OP that you have high levels of sweating, it might be no harm run it past a doctor just to rule anything out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Mitchum was brilliant when I was in school and still is today for the same reason. Definitely a roll on OP as well, the sprays I find next to useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I've tried but failed to remember the name but I know my sister used something when she was in school. All I can remember is that it was a roll on and I think she may have it used it every second day? I think it froze the sweat glands as such so prevented them from producing so much sweat. As I said earlier ask a pharmacist and they'll point you in the right direction.
    Also make sure you drink enough water. And don't sit near the rad!

Was it driclor? It is amazing :)
    http://m.boots.ie/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=roi&path=/en/Driclor-Solution-Roll-On-Applicator_22023/

• Advertisement

Admin Edit: Quoted Spam removed.

Where can I get those?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where can I get those?

jamie124, I think beibanan may be a computer - the posting style is very peculiar.

spurious wrote: »
    jamie124, I think beibanan may be a computer - the posting style is very peculiar.

Thank You, But what do you mean? You think it is a computer writing on this?

Thank You, But what do you mean? You think it is a computer writing on this?

It might be a bot. An automated programme that posts messages. They run test messages before launching some spam.
    His only other post is very short and kind of unnecessary in the thread it's in.

Advertisement