Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap camera for something one or two feet away?

Options
  • 02-12-2014 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this request.

I'm looking for a camera or two to view the hens with. Will either bring the cable to the house from the hen house (roughly 50 feet), or shall look into setting a point to point wireless transmitter (have one or two of them somewhere) across the garden with a power point near the hens coop to power the cameras and the wireless transmitter.

The main camera that I will be buying will be to view hens about a foot or two (max) away, and possibly one outside the henhouse as well. Both will be infrared cameras (from looking into it, hens don't seem to be bothered by them) as they'll be mainly used in the evenings just after it's gotten dark to see if the hens have gone into their beds or are still outside.

No DVR system needed at this point, and would prefer a cheap setup, thus don't mind dx.com or geekbuying.com, once the camera can focus on stuff close to the camera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this request.

I'm looking for a camera or two to view the hens with. Will either bring the cable to the house from the hen house (roughly 50 feet), or shall look into setting a point to point wireless transmitter (have one or two of them somewhere) across the garden with a power point near the hens coop to power the cameras and the wireless transmitter.

The main camera that I will be buying will be to view hens about a foot or two (max) away, and possibly one outside the henhouse as well. Both will be infrared cameras (from looking into it, hens don't seem to be bothered by them) as they'll be mainly used in the evenings just after it's gotten dark to see if the hens have gone into their beds or are still outside.

No DVR system needed at this point, and would prefer a cheap setup, thus don't mind dx.com or geekbuying.com, once the camera can focus on stuff close to the camera.

Cabling would be the better option. Any fixed lens camera will do. You dont need to go mad if its only going to be viewing a hen at close enough range.
    Any of the suppliers here will have a camera to suit you.
    If you are only looking to view on a monitor rather than actual recording this can be done also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

altor wrote: »
    Cabling would be the better option. Any fixed lens camera will do. You dont need to go mad if its only going to be viewing a hen at close enough range.
    Aye, shall probably go the cable router. The wireless route was just something that I could use as I already had it.

I have asked a camera seller about the minimum range of their camera, and they just come back with their max range. having photographed stuff before, I know that if something is clear far away, it may not be the best close up.
    altor wrote: »
    Any of the suppliers here will have a camera to suit you.
    If you are only looking to view on a monitor rather than actual recording this can be done also.
    Had a quick look thought that there. looks like what I'm looking for alright. Thanks.

Using different type lens can be use for range options but as you are only looking at a foot or two, a fixed lens one will work for you. I would always recommend cabling rather than wire free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

get hd camera that's is ip

braddun wrote: »
    get hd camera that's is ip

While I agree with you that is the way forward, it would be over kill to look at hens :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement