Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My brother is gone

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lexendr

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

1 year today

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

He's at peace, just try to remember that,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CarpeDiem1

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    1 year today

Just saw your thread for your brother. Very sorry for your loss, he was far too young to die. You and your family and his friends carry him with ye now. I hope you get through this difficult time to look forward to better times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

1 year today

Just seeing this thread for the first time. I am
    so sorry for you. Lost a sibling to suicide many
    years ago. Today must be horrible for you as I'm
    sure you are going through every devastating
    moment of this day last year. The pain of loss
    never goes away - it can't when you have loved
    someone dearly - but it does subside. Hope
    you are surrounded by good friends who are helping you get through today. Xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I am sorry for your loss, my husband lost his only brother 8 years ago this Christmas,

Everyone says a year and a day, then all the firsts are over. Time does ease the pain a little, but no one here will ever be the same.

It's about putting one foot in front of the other until it becomes the norm.

It sounds like things are going well for you,

Second Christmas without him, although I'm not sure last year counted because we were still in shock! Still have moments where I'm like "I can't believe he's gone" and it feels like his funeral was all some strange dream. I found some videos on my iPhone backup. They are videos of my cats playing but in the background he's talking and laughing :) One of my faves is him saying "The cat is mad isn't she ma?" and my mother is like "yeah" and he goes "I love the cat do you ma?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

Second Christmas without him, although I'm not sure last year counted because we were still in shock! Still have moments where I'm like "I can't believe he's gone" and it feels like his funeral was all some strange dream. I found some videos on my iPhone backup. They are videos of my cats playing but in the background he's talking and laughing :) One of my faves is him saying "The cat is mad isn't she ma?" and my mother is like "yeah" and he goes "I love the cat do you ma?" :D

Sparkle, the first three years are the worst ( I lost my daughter 23 years ago and I went around in a manic haze ( If you could picture that) Believe me it does get better. I took each day as it came. I cried my eyes every night and sometimes it just catches up with you, and no matter where you are or what you are doing it catches you off guard, just have a good cry.X

Happy to see that suicide is getting quite a bit of attention in the Irish media. Well not happy but reading someone else's story that is so similar to yours helps. Felt a bit sad last night so I opened my "memory box" and looked through all the stuff I have in it. A copy of his death certificate, some pictures, printouts of some Facebook messages, and some of his hair. It's amazing how it comforts me when I look through all these things and read his death announcement. It feels like I'm close to him for just a few minutes and I feel almost lighter afterward :) still finding it hard to believe he's gone forever and please god he's looking at me writing this post and thinking I'm an awful eejit for taking a bunch of his hair out of an envelope and sniffing it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irish Sunshine

Sparkle, I'm sending you and everyone else who has lost a loved one lots of love. 10 years ago, when I was in my 20's I lost my mum to suicide. Even now there's not a day goes past that I don't think of her. I often wonder what she would think of all the changes in our life and sometimes talk to her as if she's still here lol. It's true though things get a little easier in time, just keep taking one day at a time xx

• Advertisement

His 26th birthday today.. Second birthday without him. Feeling so weird right now, surreal :(

2 years ago today and I can't believe it still. Thinking of him every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Phil.x

2 years ago today and I can't believe it still. Thinking of him every day

My brother died of cancer 5 years ago and it feels like he's still with me for various reasons and feels like it was only yesterday. I seriously think the trauma of it all had affected my brain, as I cry at anything remotely sad or happy.
    He was 28.

Advertisement