Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull cords

Options
  • 02-12-2014 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm having a second electric shower installed in my house, priority unit is going out by fuse box. Do I have to also have a pull cord put in the bathroom? I haven't as yet and don't know if the lad working on it was planning to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4 osullivanap

Is that according to regulations?
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes

Is that according to regulations?

Yes it is.
    Your REC should know this. He can't give you a cert without it.

Yes it is.
    Your REC should know this. He can't give you a cert without it.

Well he is saying not necessarily, as long as there is a switch, that a wall switch will do

Well he is saying not necessarily, as long as there is a switch, that a wall switch will do

A wall switch is fine. They actually last longer. Must be on the outside of the bathroom wall. Can't be in the hot press.

Each shower must have its own isolation switch. This can be a pull cord switch or a cooker type wall switch. If he is doing a wall switch ask him for the smaller size. The size of a light switch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agree a wall switch is a better job.
    I prefer the larger switch as the cables tend to be at least 6 sq. which is quite large and can damage a small switch when trying to fit everything into a single back box.

A wall switch is fine. They actually last longer. Must be on the outside of the bathroom wall. Can't be in the hot press.

Each shower must have its own isolation switch. This can be a pull cord switch or a cooker type wall switch. If he is doing a wall switch ask him for the smaller size. The size of a light switch.

Great thanks

2011 wrote: »
    I prefer the larger switch as the cables tend to be at least 6 sq. which is quite large and can damage a small switch when trying to fit everything into a single back box.

Totally agree. A large switch is easier for us to fit, especially with 10 sq. Cosmetically the smaller are neater. Either one is far better than a pull cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I'm not involved in House Bashing, I work with controls, But I thought Pull Cords where done away with in recent times??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Seanieke wrote: »
    I'm not involved in House Bashing, I work with controls, But I thought Pull Cords where done away with in recent times??

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

2011 wrote: »

I much prefer the smaller switch for a shower. As long as you have made sure that you put your box in a little deeper into the wall when first fixing the house then it should be no problem doing a small switch. Might have to use 40mm screws but it still looks better especially if its going to be beside a light switch. Have never seen a large one used for a shower only for cookers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement