Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling Fatalities?

• 02-12-2014 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

The recent death of Australian cricketer Philip Hughes got me wondering has anyone ever died or been seriously injured from hurling. The worst story I've heard is a goalie losing a testicle after getting a sliotar to the nether regions.

The impact that caused Hughes' death appeared innocuous enough. I've never played either sport so I'm only guessing here but I imagine the impact of a sliotar going full tilt would be comparable to a cricket ball?

I know the risk of serious head injuries has obviously reduced with the advent of compulsory helmets but before their introduction did anyone ever die?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

gOst wrote: »
    The recent death of Australian cricketer Philip Hughes got me wondering has anyone ever died or been seriously injured from hurling. The worst story I've heard is a goalie losing a testicle after getting a sliotar to the nether regions.

The impact that caused Hughes' death appeared innocuous enough. I've never played either sport so I'm only guessing here but I imagine the impact of a sliotar going full tilt would be comparable to a cricket ball?

I know the risk of serious head injuries has obviously reduced with the advent of compulsory helmets but before their introduction did anyone ever die?

I've never heard of any but historically there must be some. The ball is probably alot less dangerous than the cricket ball which is made of solid wood. Umm sure in pre helmet times someone got a fatal crack on the head of a hurl, which would bee the bigger risk I'd have thought. I vaguely remember hearing of something awful happening involving a Galway hurler being paralysed after being hit in the back of the head with a hurl.

Edit: only thing that came up on Google was this tragic event but it was deemed accidental and the fact it was hurling seems unrelated, just a freakish occurrence...
    http://m.rte.ie/news/2005/0330/61447-obrienp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

gOst wrote: »

Dublin Senior Hurler Paul Mulhare died after a league game vs Laois in the 1980's. Paul was wearing a helmet at the time.

I can't post links but google will provide the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

leath_dub wrote: »
    Dublin Senior Hurler Paul Mulhare died after a league game vs Laois in the 1980's. Paul was wearing a helmet at the time.

I can't post links but google will provide the details

It was a helmet that didn't have the face card which then became the standard helmet for players afterwards. After that incident all youths had to were helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

ye i remember poor Pauge Mulhare it was a league game again laois poor pat Critchley the laois player was never the same after it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Don't think I was right about the Galway fella.

I think I remember someone from Laois collapsing a few years ago but not sure if it was due to a belt or not. Also not sure if he died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭chubba1984

I was on the substitute bench for a match where a young lad passed away - he had got an accidental blow to the back of the neck when he was trying to hook one of our players. It's one of those days I'll never forget.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/young-hurler-dies-after-injury-in-club-match-26089503.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

chubba1984 wrote: »
    I was on the substitute bench for a match where a young lad passed away - he had got an accidental blow to the back of the neck when he was trying to hook one of our players. It's one of those days I'll never forget.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/young-hurler-dies-after-injury-in-club-match-26089503.html

I remember that

tragic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

chubba1984 wrote: »

Was going to post this one. Very tragic indeed. Know a couple of people on the pitch from ballyea and they were shell shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Thats really awful :( RIP. Im not sure if this is true but didn't a goal post fall on a goalkeeper about ten years ago? I remember hearing something about it, although it could have been just someone telling me to be careful of one falling on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

deadybai wrote: »
    Thats really awful :( RIP. Im not sure if this is true but didn't a goal post fall on a goalkeeper about ten years ago? I remember hearing something about it, although it could have been just someone telling me to be careful of one falling on me
    theres been cases across Ireland and UK in the past of posts falling on kids, but nothing all that recent.

probably more auld lads dying of heart attacks on the terraces than on the pitch though.
    I've definitely heard of a good handful of cases of lads dropping dead when watching a game.
    With the stress of getting to a game (as in finish jobs at home, listen to the wife give out for you abandoning her, then rush to the pitch) and the excitement of the game itsself its understandable that its the trigger for something that may be coming anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Thanks god they bought the helmets in, was daft fellas not wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Paudge Mulhare the late Dublin hurler had a helmet on as far as i know i think it was a blood cloth that cause his shocking passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 surly joe

Paul was my neighbour, a lovely lad and a great hurler.It was a tragic loss and I meet his family all the time on the roads and think about him.He'll never be forgotten 'round these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

surly joe wrote: »
    Paul was my neighbour, a lovely lad and a great hurler.It was a tragic loss and I meet his family all the time on the roads and think about him.He'll never be forgotten 'round these parts.

Was he on Niall Quinn's team?

Advertisement