Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shower safety device

Options
  • 02-12-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

My eldest is almost 7 and wants to shower by herself. However, the water temperature is hard for her to adjust - we have a shower with hot / cold separate faucets. I need to find a system so that she can either adjust the temperature by herself (I was thinking of a dial type button, but it needs to be easy for her to turn, she doesn't have much strength in her hands), or a shower head with a stop button on it so we can adjust the temperature for her at the start then she can manage herself to turn it on and off as she soaps and rinses.

I have no idea if such things exist. The dial type button, of course, but most are too hard to adjust for a child

Any idea?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Hi

My eldest is almost 7 and wants to shower by herself. However, the water temperature is hard for her to adjust - we have a shower with hot / cold separate faucets. I need to find a system so that she can either adjust the temperature by herself (I was thinking of a dial type button, but it needs to be easy for her to turn, she doesn't have much strength in her hands), or a shower head with a stop button on it so we can adjust the temperature for her at the start then she can manage herself to turn it on and off as she soaps and rinses.

I have no idea if such things exist. The dial type button, of course, but most are too hard to adjust for a child

Any idea?

Thanks

Can't you and her just set a temperature you're happy with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We just turn it on for ours and either turn it off ourselves or get them to turn hot off first then cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Let her get ready (towel on) then adjust it for her and let her get in when you have gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Can't you and her just set a temperature you're happy with?

It's what we currently do, but then she has to let the water run while she uses the soap and shampoo, which is a great waste of water. At the moment, I turn it off, then come back to turn it back on and adjust again, and she gets cold while I do that because it takes a while to adjust. Or we have to let the water run, and then there is not enough hot water for the rest of the family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi nanaz

howabout something like this on the hot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe-Clippsafe-Tap-Strap/dp/B0045ZPUW4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417513431&sr=8-4&keywords=tap+lock

Reading the reviews probably not a complete answer

• Advertisement

Hi nanaz

howabout something like this on the hot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe-Clippsafe-Tap-Strap/dp/B0045ZPUW4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417513431&sr=8-4&keywords=tap+lock

Reading the reviews probably not a complete answer

Is this not the opposite? It seems to be a safety device that prevents the child to turn the hot water faucet on.
    Someone just told me about something called rinse aces. Does anyone know about these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Can you change the taps to something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trueshopping-Mounted-Bathroom-including-Handset/dp/B001BPGKAM/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1417558903&sr=1-6

(Just an example). That way you can leave the tap at the right temperature and your daughter just needs to lift the lever to turn water on and off. I really dont get the uk/irish thing with the two taps, such a stupid design...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We have something like this on our shower:
    http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Temperature-Control-Thermostatic-Spool-Shower-Valve-Faucet-Mixer-Tap-Shower-Wall-Mounted-Shower-Valve/1103261774.html

You can "lock" the temperature at 38 (ie you have to press the red button and turn at the same time to increase or decrease the temp, it's hard for kids to do).

Both are very good suggestions. A friend also offered to source a stop button shower head in France. Not sure if it will fit onto my shower here, but if it doesn't, I'll definitively check your links
    Thanks a lot for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Get a permanent marker and put a line on the twisty bit of the tap and the bit that doesn't twist when it is at the correct Temp. Then all she has to do it twist the taps until the lines match up, cold first, then hot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

If you turn off the water to shampoo, then have to let it run again until you find the right temperature are you not just wasting as much water? I would just leave it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you could put in an anti-scald valve, makes it much safer and also easier to regulate

put it directly under the bath instead of in the hotpress/source of hotwater - warm-ish water sitting in pipes is not a good idea

cheaper than a trip to A&E and skin grafts :

http://www.showerright.co.uk/Reliance/Reliance_heatguard%20dual%20tmv2-3.htm

i70eb.jpg

doesn't take much to cause burns :
    ui2yq.jpg

If you turn off the water to shampoo, then have to let it run again until you find the right temperature are you not just wasting as much water? I would just leave it on.

That's the whole point of a stop button on the shower head. The water stays at the right temperature, it's merely stopping the flow. If we start paying for water, we may see them more here

gctest50, thanks, that's handy. I already set up our water temperature (main supply) to never reach above 42 degrees. Still way too hot for a shower. The thing is, our daughter likes water almost cool, I'd say it's not even 32 degrees. I'd be shivering.

Will report on how the stop button works for us. We may have to explore your other suggestions. Thanks to everyone!

Advertisement