Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking a phone

Options
  • 02-12-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi. Santy is thinking about bringing an iPhone 5 to my daughter for Christmas. Santy only became aware that he was entitled to an upgrade from 3, so for less than €50 and an extra fiver a month on my .... ahem.... HIS bill, this can be done.

However, my daughter is on the 48 network & loves it. Short of her changing over to 3, is there anyway I can get the brand new iPhone 5 unlocked?

I'd very much appreciate any help here. Thanks very much. M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi. Santy is thinking about bringing an iPhone 5 to my daughter for Christmas. Santy only became aware that he was entitled to an upgrade from 3, so for less than €50 and an extra fiver a month on my .... ahem.... HIS bill, this can be done.

However, my daughter is on the 48 network & loves it. Short of her changing over to 3, is there anyway I can get the brand new iPhone 5 unlocked?

I'd very much appreciate any help here. Thanks very much. M

3 will only unlock the iphone after contract is over so not from them, you could search ebay or adverts to pay for the unlock but not cheap, I had a quick look at ebay, seen 1 for €145, but search more could get cheaper, make sure you check the unlock is for 3 Ireland, feedback and reviews before buying.

Also that is a factory unlock done via Itunes not with other software like jealbreak as if it's available should be free, check tutorials here.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Thanks very much for that Nava. I'm going to buy her a 3 sim-card & she can noodle around with the jail-break stuff herself. You help is much appreciated. M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Thanks very much for that Nava. I'm going to buy her a 3 sim-card & she can noodle around with the jail-break stuff herself. You help is much appreciated. M

Check tutorial 1st as I do not think many will work with Iphone 5, maybe check with other users with Iphones 5 in 3 for the baseband so you can check if it might work before you buy, nothing worst than getting a present like that but not be able to use it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can't unlock via jailbreak since iPhone 4s. The only one the unlockers can't do the factory unlock for is 3, apparently. No idea why.

Advertisement