Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Races in Cork over Christmas

Options
  • 02-12-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Spoiled for choice in the coming weeks

Saturday 6th - Clonakilty 10K
    Saturday 6th - Clonakilty Half Marathon
    Saturday 6th - Clonakilty Marathon

Saturday 6th - Santas Pressie Dash 7K Blackrock

Sunday 7th - Glenville 4 mile

Sunday 14th - BHAA Cork Simon Christmas 4 mile

Sunday 14th - Kinsale Santa Dash 5K

Thursday 25th - Clonakilty Parkrun

Friday 26th - Belgooly 4 mile

Saturday 27th - Carrigaline Christmas Fun Run 5K
    Saturday 27th - Carrigaline Christmas Fun Run 10K

Sunday 28th - Togher 5K

Thursday 1st - Bandon AC 5 mile

Last year the turn out for Belgooly and Togher was huge, there was over 700 at the Belgooly race from what I remember.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

Ha Ha - just what i was looking for!
    Ive decided to get healthy and start running and am setting myself a target of getting around one 5 k course per month. So far so good. Run in the dark Oct, Blarney run last weekend for CF and this month I am spoiled for choice!
    Thanks for posting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

kiwikid wrote: »
    Ha Ha - just what i was looking for!
    Ive decided to get healthy and start running and am setting myself a target of getting around one 5 k course per month. So far so good. Run in the dark Oct, Blarney run last weekend for CF and this month I am spoiled for choice!
    Thanks for posting!!

Glad to be of help. If you are looking for a PB then the Togher one is one to do. Very fast course. Myself and a buddy blew away our PB's on it last year. There's chip timing and its very well organized.

It will be a lot easier than the CF one last weekend and certainly less mucky! My race shoes got destroyed at it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Is that Togher race a new enough one? Never really heard of it before. Unfortunately won't be in Cork on the 28th but i'd like to give that a bash in future.

Will be at Belgooly as per usual on the 26th, always a good turnout at that one alright.

Is that Togher race a new enough one? Never really heard of it before.

I believe it used to be a popular event many years ago but then died away, last year was the resurrection of it and was very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi all

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Is the Bandon 5 mile on New Years day a good race?
    I'll be in the area and might give it a go.. Is it just a case of rocking up to the GAA club and registering before the race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Yes and yes.

264 finishers last year. Start is downhill. There is a long drag from approx. 1.3 to 3 Miles, but the last two mils are essentially down, leading to a pretty good finish. I've missed it for the past few years, being away at the time, but hope to make it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Dulhallow 5K in Newmarket on the 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Not really a race but don't forget the Goal Mile on xmas day! A few of them in Cork - CIT, Glanmire, Ballynoe, Doneraile & Charleville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Looking forward to the Togher 5k myself. I broke 20 mins back in Aug so hoping I can run a similar time just to show some progress as much as anything...

viperlogic wrote: »
    Glad to be of help. If you are looking for a PB then the Togher one is one to do. Very fast course. Myself and a buddy blew away our PB's on it last year. There's chip timing and its very well organized.

It will be a lot easier than the CF one last weekend and certainly less mucky! My race shoes got destroyed at it :(

Here is a link to the course http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/595540620 just posted to Facebook on the race page, note that its not perfect when created by the organizers as the finish is actually further down Deanrock avenue. Few slight changes from last years course when up in the Wilton area. Still very fast course with only one pull

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    Spoiled for choice in the coming weeks

Friday 12th - CIT Cross Country 5K

Sunday 14th - Bantry 5K fun run

Tuesday 16th - Cona Charity 3K

Sunday 21st - Duhallow AC 5K in Newmarket

Thursday 25th - GOAL charity mile in CIT

Friday 26th - Kilworth GAA Players 5K fun run

Sunday 28th - Togher 5K
    Sunday 28th - Cloyne Commons 4K
    Sunday 28th - MMRA Glenbower Woods Killeagh 5K trail race

Last year the turn out for Belgooly and Togher was huge, there was over 700 at the Belgooly race from what I remember.

Adding some other races including tonight's 5K cross country down in CIT GAA pitches

Toss up today between the BHAA 4 mile and Kinsale 5K Santa Dash. Went for the 5K Santa Dash in the end, small race report here in my log.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204668&page=14

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Goal mile CIT on the 25th also

Friday 12th - CIT Cross Country 5K

Sunday 14th - Bantry 5K fun run

Tuesday 16th - Cona Charity 3K

Saturday 20th - Shanagarry 5K
    Sunday 21st - Duhallow AC 5K in Newmarket

Thursday 25th - GOAL charity mile in CIT

Friday 26th - Kilworth GAA Players 5K fun run

Sunday 28th - Togher 5K
    Sunday 28th - Cloyne Commons 4K
    Sunday 28th - MMRA Glenbower Woods Killeagh 5K trail race

Adding the Shanagarry 5K on Saturday the 20th. V fast course and only €3 entry which goes to GOAL MILE

Some serious times put down at the Newmarket 5K over the weekend. Top 18 running sub 17mins with winner running 14:38

Anyone aware of a 10K in Cork or close by other than the Carrigaline 10K on the 27th? Would love to put down a 10K PB before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Races in Cork over Christmas 2015...took these from the running in Cork blog calender which has links to the various websites for further info. Goal mile on Christmas day of course and various parkruns too this month.

Fri 11th (7pm)...CIT Floodlit Cross Country (Men 5k / Women 3k)
    Sat 12th (2pm)...Fat Loss 5 mile Charity fun run/walk......Quarterstown, Mallow...
    Sun 13th (11am)...Cork Simon 4 mile charity run...Marina, (no watches, guess your time)...
    Sun 13th (11am)...Charleville CBS Primary 5k Santa Fun Run/Walk
    Sun 13th (11:30am)...Kinsale 5k Santa Dash.
    Sun 13th (1pm)...Glantane Community Council 5k fun run/walk

Sat 19th (11:45am)...Glanmire 5k Santa Fun Run/Walk
    Sat 19th (12 noon)...Shanagarry 5k road race.....
    Sun 20th (9:30am)...Cloyne Commons 4k race...Part of 4k series
    Sun 20th (10am)...Castlelyons 5k Turkey Trot fun run
    Sun 20th (1pm)...Newmarket 5km road race

Sat 26th (12 noon)...Belgooly 4 mile road race......
    Sat 26th (12 noon)...Kilworth GAA 5k fun run/walk

Sun 27th (11am)...Carrigaline Christmas Fun Run...5k/10k

Mon 28th (1pm)...Togher 5k road race

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The Tramore Valley parkrun is on Dec 19th & Jan 2nd but not being held on the 26th.

Sat 19th (12 noon)...Shanagarry 5k road race.....
    Sun 27th (11am)...Carrigaline Christmas Fun Run...5k/10k
    Mon 28th (1pm)...Togher 5k road race

Always look to have an aul crack of my PB's end of each year in the above races if the dates allow.

Timing doesnt work out this year unfortunately which is a shame as the Shanagarry 5K is great race where I blew away my PB last year. Its a low key event with majority of club runners at it so there is always a heel to follow if going for a fast time. Wedding the day before so thats not going to work!

Carrigaline 10K must be the flatest 10K in Ireland bar a track event so fast times can be got depending on wind direction/strength. Think overall elevation was only 2m.

Togher 5K is very well ran and again lots of fast club runners if chasing a time.

Going to have to be a toss up between a 10K or 5K, probably 10K as it will be a good test for where I'm for the John Treacy 10mile and if I'm ready for a sub 60. If body lets me will try and sneak a 5K parkrun in

Advertisement