Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bolands development

Options
  • 02-12-2014 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭

Planning will be lodged for the new Bolands development tomorrow. It includes 30,000 sq metres of much needed office space. As Multinationals need large modern offices and not the small,low offices that most of the city has. The development also has shops, offices and only 42 apartments. Which shows even with high rents and them rapidly rising. Its still more desirable to build offices rather than apartments.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/150-million-development-planned-for-boland-s-mill-1.2021983

The development is being built as high as they are permitted. Its a pity it isnt higher, but this is Dublin and dont want to upset the "unique heritage of Georgian Dublin". Which is mainly pre-63s, that are often modern day tenements.

DCC should do what they do in NYC. Which allows developments to be above permitted heights and in return you must provide a certain amount of social housing. This is win win for everyone. DCC gets social housing, developments make more money and we dont have the city swallowing up any more countryside.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The scale seems massive, until you see how it looks currently

bolands-mills-dublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bad news for daredevil graffiti artists and urban explorers who get great mileage out of the existing grain silos.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

That's some seriously boring architecture they're proposing, just rectangular glass boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We're back baby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

That's some seriously boring architecture they're proposing, just rectangular glass boxes.

I wouldnt call the current flour silos, an Irish architectural gem. I think the new buildings. They at least match the current Bolands buildings stone. There is nothing worse than just generic dark glass, that must Irish office blocks are.
    According to wikipedia, the project has more than doubled in size than the original proposal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland%27s_Mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I note that the times and the indo are going with the line that it was the site of a 1916 battle. In fact this is not the case. The other bolands mill site, where the treasury building(NAMA) now stands was the 1916 battle site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cgcsb wrote: »
    I note that the times and the indo are going with the line that it was the site of a 1916 battle. In fact this is not the case. The other bolands mill site, where the treasury building(NAMA) now stands was the 1916 battle site.

that "fact" gets dragged up in every report about this development over the years, you'd think the papers would have someone on the staff who knows their history...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

cgcsb wrote: »

Oh right, thank you for the info. I was under the common misconception. Is the original Bolands still on the site somewhere or does the Treasury building mark the spot?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

hfallada wrote: »
    I wouldnt call the current flour silos, an Irish architectural gem. I think the new buildings. They at least match the current Bolands buildings stone. There is nothing worse than just generic dark glass, that must Irish office blocks are.
    According to wikipedia, the project has more than doubled in size than the original proposal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland%27s_Mill

Shrug, it's certainly not the worst design I've seen but just pretty dull for what could be a showpiece for the best Irish architecture has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Oh right, thank you for the info. I was under the common misconception. Is the original Bolands still on the site somewhere or does the Treasury building mark the spot?

Thanks

The walls of the Boland's mill that featured in battle are contained within the walls of the treasury holdings buildings. Seems like a dumb workaround, but that's what they did. The only part of the existing structure you can see is where the plaque is.

0885.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

slightly off topic but theres what looks like tracks coming out of 1 of the entrances on Barrow Street. Did they have some sort of railway running between the 2 sites or the canal does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

loyatemu wrote: »
    that "fact" gets dragged up in every report about this development over the years, you'd think the papers would have someone on the staff who knows their history...
    Savills hired a historian from trinity to say exactly that in the panning application. The journo from the indo was made aware of it but alas we all have instructions from our higher ups.

Advertisement