Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

CAME electirc gates, one has stopped working

• 02-12-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

One of my CAME electric gates has stopped working. Checked the motor and it looks like there is no power getting to it.
    Its a Z4A control board with what i think is the FROG series gates. I've just downloaded the instructions from here:
    http://www.cameuk.com/camenew/tech-docs/02_Control%20panels/ZA4_319S15/s15%20v4-1.pdf

Wont have a chance to try an diagnose the issue on the board until at least tomorrow but would be grateful for any pointers! Only have a voltmeter, nothing fancy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭altor

Scruff wrote: »
    One of my CAME electric gates has stopped working. Checked the motor and it looks like there is no power getting to it.
    Its a Z4A control board with what i think is the FROG series gates. I've just downloaded the instructions from here:
    http://www.cameuk.com/camenew/tech-docs/02_Control%20panels/ZA4_319S15/s15%20v4-1.pdf

Wont have a chance to try an diagnose the issue on the board until at least tomorrow but would be grateful for any pointers! Only have a voltmeter, nothing fancy.

First thing to do is verify there is power going to the unit.
    Then check the fuses on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

got a quick look at it and power and fuses are fine.
    There is some dodgy wiring though, both gates are wired to the same 3 terminals and not separate ones (with 1 common) as in the instructions. So in addition to all power over the 1 set of connections, only 1 of the 2 "start up" capacitors is being used to drive the 2 gates. Might have something to do with it. Will have to retest the power at the motor tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭altor

There is some dodgy wiring though, both gates are wired to the same 3 terminals and not separate ones (with 1 common) as in the instructions. So in addition to all power over the 1 set of connections, only 1 of the 2 "start up" capacitors is being used to drive the 2 gates. Might have something to do with it. Will have to retest the power at the motor tomorrow...

You will need to check the cable as well as the power at the motor. Could be an issue with the cable if everything else is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Each motor has to have a capacitor, the second capacitor may very well be within a junction box at the furthest motor from the controller.

Just curious, which motor is not working? Is it the one furthest from the controller?

I wonder could you please take a picture of those connections and post it up here please, I am very curious as to how it was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

See attached. Capacitors top right, motor connectors highlighted in red on the bottom. Both motors wired to the UVW terminals but from my reading of documentation the the first should be wired to UVW and the second to WXY.

Its the furthest motor that isnt working.
    altor wrote:
    You will need to check the cable as well as the power at the motor. Could be an issue with the cable if everything else is ok..
    will do, havent had a chance to do it yet.

Thank you for that, as the saying goes a picture tells a thousand words.
    The state of that tells a lot.
    You are correct the motors are wired incorrectly I also note that the motors are not earthed via the control board and that the earth from the mains cable is not attached to anything.
    In my professional opinion this is dangerous, are those motors earthed another way?
    I am trying to work out the logic as to why someone would wire the motors together like that.
    I would encourage you to get at least a registered electrician to look at your system there with regard to electrical safety.
    Then wire it up according to the way it should be.

Advertisement