Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on playstations please

Options
  • 02-12-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

My 11yr old son wants a PS for xmas but the new PS4 is out of our budget. He would be happy with a PS 3 but I have no clue what to get as there seems to be a range of different ones. He want Lego batman to play on it? Any suggestions of what to look for and maybe suggestions where to shop very much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

A decent PS3 is still €299 ( 500GB not 12GB ). Some PS4 Bundle are available for €379.99
    I have one just reserved in Childers road if you want the code, let me know. (Reserved Until the end of: Wednesday December 3rd 2014)

you might get preowned for lower price, but ask over on the PS forums. they should be able to help you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you'd get a boxed pre-owned one from CeX for €170 with 12 month warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Might be worth looking at Adverts.ie for some 2nd hand PS3s. As already said, the PS3s retail price is still fairly hefty and not massively far from the price of a PS4. There's some good options available on Adverts. Here's one I found with a box...

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-3/6956376

Should point out that I've no affiliation with that seller so don't take this as a recommendation on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

OP, if money is tight go second hand. It will be the same thing just not as hard on your pocket.

Just a quick look, I found this one. Its the older PS3 model but still.

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/ps3-and-5-games/6979650

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Problem with a PS3 is that new game releases will die out relatively soon, as attention is focused on the PS4. So in a year or two's time your kid might be frustrated he's not able to get the same games as his pals.

The PS3 does still has some life in it, but you might consider a Nintendo Wii U. It should have relatively the same lifespan as the PS4, and will almost certainly be kept up to date with things like the Lego game for a good few years.

It probably has a better range of kid friendly games too, and would be a lot cheaper than a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

the wii U is a horrible suggestion, In my opinion.

The range of games available is very poor, and will remain poor because of its poor sales.
    I'd stick with the PS3/PS4 or xbox range for a decent amount of games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

I'd go second hand if I were to buy a PS3 over a PS4.
    Last year I got slim 160gb PS3 with 2 PS3 official controllers and 4 games with the box for the PS3 for 140 euro.
    It's works great, don't play games that often on it but watch films off it and use YouTube.
    I bought it on adverts. Be sure to haggle.
    I'd also buy the game on adverts as well. A lot of people would be looking to offload them and upgrade to the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

RossieMan wrote: »

The range of games available is very poor, and will remain poor because of its poor sales.

If he likes Lego Batman then I don't see how he wouldn't like Mario and with Smash Bros and others you have a lot to work with for an 11 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liam O wrote: »
    If he likes Lego Batman then I don't see how he wouldn't like Mario and with Smash Bros and others you have a lot to work with for an 11 year old.

The problem with an 11 yr old is that virtually all his mates will either have a Playstation or Xbox.I'm into my games & I don't know anybody with a WII U.

What is your budget op? For an older console,PS3 is still pretty expensive,if you can stretch to it there are deals on bundles available for PS4.This is a great forum for finding them.

€379.99 in Argos for PS4 and a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

You would seriously be wasting your money buying a brand new PS3 as they are slowly becoming outdated. In 2 years time they will be nearly extinct. Id suggest buying a second hand one. Try get one in a shop as there are a few dodgy feckers on online shops this time of year looking to scam vulnerable people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

deadybai wrote: »
    You would seriously be wasting your money buying a brand new PS3 as they are slowly becoming outdated. In 2 years time they will be nearly extinct. Id suggest buying a second hand one. Try get one in a shop as there are a few dodgy feckers on online shops this time of year looking to scam vulnerable people

Kinda would feel that way about it myself, at this stage it would be a bit of a waste getting them the older machines - I'd even opt for a second hand PS4 if money was an issue - they would tend to have a year left EU Sony Warranty also...

I've 2 lads at home who are 11 and 9 who have a 360, 3DS, Vita the past few years - the older lad is "too big for Minecraft and Nintendo" nowadays and leaning towards a PC, and I don't think I can afford a gaming PC right now....

They would miss out on a lot of couch co op games they play currently on 360 with a PC - I was thinking of an Xbox One for them, but not sure as they have not shown much interest in "next gen gaming" luckily enough... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

Hi op, not sure if you mean any ps product or just ps3

The vita handheld is great and this bundle has 6lego games for 169.99,
    might be possible to pick it up cheaper

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/c-738/ps-vita/p-9494/ps-vita-slim-6-free-lego-mega-games-pack/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,007 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

RossieMan wrote: »

Game for game, the WiiU has by far the best library at the moment. The XB1 and PS4 really have nothing worth writing home about for now.

Problem is, I'd imagine an 11 or 12 year old boy would want to play the latest bog standard FPS shooter or the likes with his mates. Which isn't really catered for with the WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Op, just get ps4. Take a hit now, instead of spending a lot of money on ps3, then next year buying ps4 anyway.
    If he asked for ps4, then good chance that all his buddies on ps4, so getting wii u is going to be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€399 with 3 games in Argos now for a PS4.You won't get a better deal than that plus as said before-it's futureproof.
    My young lad plays the PS3 I bought the day it launched,I've a PS4 for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Do NOT get a Wii U. As good as it may be the disappointment a PlayStation wanting child will get if he opens a Wii in Xmas morning would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 millies23

Thanks to everybody for their input. It is very much appreciated. We ended up sucking it up and getting the PS4. Argos had the best deal and we got the interest free deal so will pay by June. Suits us a lot better. Happy 11yr old but now of course he is looking for some subscription thing where he can play his friends remotely. Another learning curvel.................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Sounds like he wants ps+ Membership...
    It will also give him "free" games each month, for example this months is One of the infamous games, retails for around 20e.

Sounds like a very lucky kid there, hope he realises that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

millies23 wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody for their input. It is very much appreciated. We ended up sucking it up and getting the PS4. Argos had the best deal and we got the interest free deal so will pay by June. Suits us a lot better. Happy 11yr old but now of course he is looking for some subscription thing where he can play his friends remotely. Another learning curvel.................

1 year for €50 or 3 months for €15

Its a little dearer for Xbox Live (same kind of idea but for the Xbox) but i prefer to buy my sons their Live per 3 months as its a good bartering tool for good behaviour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

The ps subscription is brilliant though, free games and multiplayer? Really makes the console.
    What you can do to save money buying it is wait for aldi to have one of their spend 50, save 10 euro vouchers in the paper. Tesco honour these, so you can buy a 50 euro psn (playstation network) credit (which is how much the year subscription is) for 40 euro, and get club card points.
    Also if you have unused tesco vouchers, you can reprint them from the tesco website, put that towards it too..

Advertisement