Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to start playing the violin?

Options
  • 02-12-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 and I have wanted to play the violin for a good while now. I was suppose to buy my first violin today but I was advised against it, not the idea of learning the violin but the idea of going in buying one from a music shop.

Instead I was told to get a teacher organised first, go to a lesson or a few, ask them to help me pick out a violin and then pay a high price..
    I was told not to buy anything for under €500 (even 500s low, or so he said) he suggested that if I do want to pick up the violin I should pay for a high quality instrument possibly even a handmade violin and find a luthier who will set it up and continue the maintenance over time.

I can't really argue with the man considering I know very little about the violin and he has played for well over 40 years..

What do you make of it? should I do as he suggested?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Seanf999 wrote: »
    ... Instead I was told to get a teacher organised first, go to a lesson or a few, ask them to help me pick out a violin and then pay a high price..
    I was told not to buy anything for under €500...

It all sounds great in principle. If you are happy after a few lessons that you are in it for the very long haul, and you can afford it.

In practice I bought mine for 300-400, and while I only played for a year I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not a pro or anything, but I'm just saying that being a bit short on cash won't stop you from learning (for a while), and it should definitely not stop you from starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

I'm sorry to say I abandoned the plan already. I went into powells in galway just to look and i seen the sign that they stock high (price) range violins and I asked if I could see one or two just to get an idea of what I decent violin is. He brought down these two scott caos and a hofners expecting I had years of experience under my belt, I then had to explain my plan and he kindly ran me through everything I needed to know.
    he actually advised against any of the expensive models and suggested a higher model beginner violin instead, he gave me contacts for lesson, and told me all i'd need to know about bridges, bows and rosin etc!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Ah here. Tell me you gave up on the expensive violin, not playing the violin altogether?? If you really think you'd like it, please go for it, even with a cheaper violin. As I said I went to a good shop, they recommended a decent beginner model, and that was it. There will be time to get a fancy one later.

There is no need for all the head-wrecking :-) !

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Wouldn't dream of dropping the idea altogether but I did drop the idea of going for the bells and whistles to start with, I got one thats still a good violin by most standards but didn't break the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goldenshark

I learn a few days when I was a child, but drop it because I thought it was boring.But violin has become more and more charming as I grow up, and now I really would like to pick it up...hope it's not too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I learn a few days when I was a child, but drop it because I thought it was boring.But violin has become more and more charming as I grow up, and now I really would like to pick it up...hope it's not too late

Never too late. I met a lady in Limerick one day who must have been over 70 and was up to Grade 8 in harp after only a few years playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Definitely never too late, I have a "mature" lady student who just passed her grade1!
    You'll fly up the early grades if you're diligent, and motivated, which it sounds like you are!
    A good teacher will be worth the investment more than the violin, you can learn the basics on any old violin, and after a few years think about an upgrade if it's going well. Enjoy the journey! :)

Advertisement