Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxing a van as commercial - requirements?

Options
  • 02-12-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I am in the process of starting my own business - at the moment I'm working on the business plan and I also have just got a van.

Do I need to register the business before I can tax it commercially?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Hi,
    As far as I can remember you just need to sign a declaration at the Garda station that you will only use the van for business purposes. I dont remember having to get into company details other than just putting it (company name) on the form. I'm sure others on here will have more information.
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spinga

If you are trading as a sole trader you need to register for VAT and have documentation to say you are registered.
    If you are trading as a company you will need to set up the company and obtain a VAT number.
    There is a 30 working day wait for a VAT number at the moment so get your skates on...
    You will also need a form signed by the Gardai..
    Message me if you need to ask more...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

You'll only need to register for VAT if your turnover is likely to be over the Revenue set thresholds (I think its €37K for service businesses and €75K for goods based businesses).

Advertisement