Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car parking

• 02-12-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    We have just bought a house and are in the process of renovating before moving in. But our neighbour has left a disused car on the driveway and will not move it. What are my rights here and where can I go to get the car removed if the own continues to refuse to move it
    ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask them nicely to move it, but look into getting it towed. Find out from your other neighbours if this is usual behaviour or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If it was there when you bought the house, it is now yours. Call the scrappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

Hi, We have just bought a house and are in the process of renovating before moving in. But our neighbour has left a disused car on the driveway and will not move it. What are my rights here and where can I go to get the car removed if the own continues to refuse to move it ?

Wow what a nice neighbour! If he is not going to move it then id have it towed. If it is going to cost you money to get it towed then id love to see if you could scrap it, although I guess you would need to be the owner of the vehicle. It's a strange situation to be in, I would love to hear of any more legal solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What a way to start ownership of a new house.

I need some clarifications
    Is house in town or countryside?
    Is the car blocking your driveway? On your actual property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They sound like real classy neighbours to be moving in next door to. I'd hate to be having disputes like this when you have only moved in but there are some total prats out there that cannot be reasoned with in a civil manner so you need to be firm from day one or they will walk all over you from then on.

I'd ask them again and give them a reasonable deadline of a few days to a week, to have it removed or you will be forced to have it removed. After that I'd ring the council to tell them that there is an abandoned in your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Contact the seller of the house and/or your solicitor and tell them it wasn't part of the sale, surely this should have been sorted by your/their solicitor? The council will not tow it as it's not in a public place.

If it was me this is what I would do, be peaceful with an ar$hole neigbour to start with...
    1. Contact the neighbour again, tell them you are ordering a skip and need it clear in 24 hours.
    2. Give them 48 hours
    3. Call the Gardaí and tell them it's blocking access to your driveway.

That's as sound as you can be with someone, otherwise they will walk all over you for the rest of your days there mad.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot see the purpose of contacting the seller would do if the sale is concluded at this stage. Should have been addressed prior to concluding the sale assuming the car was parked there at that time. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the last owner moved out prior to the OP buying the house so the property was left unoccupied for a time and the guy next door decided to dump his car there later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] The council will not tow it as it's not in a public place.

[...]

Simple solution is: pull it to be in a public place and contact council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

joujoujou wrote: »
    Simple solution is: pull it to be in a public place and contact council.

A couple of lads could lift it if it or the lazy option it could be jacked up and the back tyres lowered on to 2 biscuit tin covers it will slide out easy :D

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cannot see the purpose of contacting the seller would do if the sale is concluded at this stage. Should have been addressed prior to concluding the sale assuming the car was parked there at that time. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the last owner moved out prior to the OP buying the house so the property was left unoccupied for a time and the guy next door decided to dump his car there later on.

it would be the sellers job to ensure vacant possesion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hi,
    We have just bought a house and are in the process of renovating before moving in. But our neighbour has left a disused car on the driveway and will not move it. What are my rights here and where can I go to get the car removed if the own continues to refuse to move it
    ?

Get an angle grinder, cut the roof off, fill it with any builders rubble etc... call the skip truck and have them come lift it.

Seriously: Give then a deadline in the order of a couple of days to remove it, if they don't, move it out onto the road and report it to the council as being untaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

corktina wrote: »
    it would be the sellers job to ensure vacant possesion.

Indeed and the vendor is financially responsible for the removal of the car. Problem is that no one will remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

pick up a car for a few hundred euro and park it in his/her driveway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gavamacavab

OK well thanks guys, that clears it up. I will keep on trying a diplomatic solution as it would not be the best way to start life next to these people. But good to know I'd be within my rights to get it removed. Also thanks for the tips on how.

It doesn't really clear it up, there are loads of unanswered questions ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Marcusm wrote: »
    Indeed and the vendor is financially responsible for the removal of the car. Problem is that no one will remove it.
    Wouldn't that depend on the car being there at the time the contract was finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First let the cops know there is a car dumped in your driveway that no one is claiming.
    Then get a jack, some wood and roll the fecker out onto the road.
    Whatever happens after that ain't your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

And let us know what happened. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I have to ask, but was the car there when you were viewing the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Wouldn't that depend on the car being there at the time the contract was finalised.
    Absolutely, on completion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

It's a tricky one, I think If I was in your shoes I'd ask neighbors to move car by a set date and thank them for their assistance in this matter.

If cars still there then get it moved yourself to a place as close to their drive as possible that doesn't cause a inconvenience to anybody els .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

OK well thanks guys, that clears it up. I will keep on trying a diplomatic solution as it would not be the best way to start life next to these people. But good to know I'd be within my rights to get it removed. Also thanks for the tips on how.

I'd get proper legal advice if I were you. If your neighbour is the legal owner of the car then there may be issues surrounding your contact with it. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.
    I'd thread carefully, if he's pig ignorant enough to behave as you suggest then it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's devious enough to have a plan to screw you at his earliest opportunity.

Advertisement