Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit problem

Options
  • 02-12-2014 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi my wife had a direct debit set up with a company for once a month, after 12 months she cancelled her membership informed bank and company, this month they took money from her account under a different company name, they say they have done nothing wrong, but my wife is out 50euro. The contract was for 12 months which expired 1/11/2014.

i.e original Direct Debit with ABCDEF COMPANY FOR 50EURO MONTHLY

After 12 months 1/12/2014 Direct debit EFGHIJ COMPANY Take 50euro, same place under a different name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tell your wife to get the bank to recall it, under SEPA legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you sure she cancelled correctly and that there isn't one more payment outstanding? And did you receive confirmation of cancellation from the company?

Anyway, if you're sure that the direct debit shouldn't have been taken, then you can ask for it to be reversed under the SEPA direct debit rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Yes she cancelled in writing and bank confirmed cancellation, not sure she got anything in writing from the Gym she just filled a form out.

The strange thing is they went into her account under a completely different name to collect the money, can they do this. Is her agreement not with the company name on the original Direct Debit. Also they have not changed name on their signage or products.

Going to contact SEPA to see what they think. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Her contract may have been with Company A, but if there was a change of ownership etc, then all details would transfer to Company B. It could be quite legitimate.

To be honest though, I'd always want to get confirmation from the company themselves, in writing, that something has been cancelled. To assume it's cancelled is dangerous. Have you tried to contact the gym to get this sorted? At least give them a chance to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

As she is paying by direct debit it can auto renew. Check the T&C's she got on joining. she may not have given enough notice. This could be the last DD but I would check it out. Can the new DD mandate with the bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement