Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 Day Notice accounts

Options
  • 02-12-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I am in the process of purchasing a house.

I placed notice on my 365 30 Day notice account on the 14th of November to withdraw money to fund the purchase. 

For the balance, I had a mortgage letter of offer from Bank of Ireland and also one from KBC Bank.

Due to the approaching Christmas holidays a "cut off" date appeared necessitating that the completion be on Friday 12th December rather than the planned Monday 15th of December.

I first approached this via a branch who said that they had no access to accounts opened on line and that this must be done via the call centre. 

I phoned the call centre yesterday about this and the operator said that they couldn't deal with this themselves but would put my case to the "Deposits Regional Management" about this. This was escalated to supervisory level. I was aware that those responsible had discretion, as in certain cases the notice period could be waived completely, such as critical illness or even if a Bank of Ireland mortgage was being drawn down. 

Initially I was told that they would get back to me before close of business (4pm) yesterday with their decision. Needless to say they didn't.

I followed this up with the same call centre person this morning, he still couldn't get a response from the Deposit department. He undertook to keep trying and would phone me to let me know once he had a decision.

Eventually I got a call from the call centre and was told that the deposit team would bring forward my notice withdrawal to the 12th December, but only after close of business that day (a Friday). In other words I still couldn't access the funds until the agreed notice period, Monday 15th.

Frankly their "compromise" was pathetic and treated me with contempt as it presumed that I was unable to read a calendar! I asked the call centre to put me through to the person responsible for making the decision, so that they could explain why 8 hours grace was impossible, i.e. cleared funds at the start of the business day rather than after the end of hours. The call centre tried but the Deposit team refused to speak to me. I am only a customer after all I suppose.

I have registered a formal complaint via the call centre operative and the local branch manager has shown me the complaints address on the website. Incredibly in this day and age there is not an on line complaint option.

I have been advised that a possibility would be to take out an overdraft for the 8 hours required, on the 12th of December (and the following unnecessary weekend as the funds will be there at 6pm on the 12th apparently). A ludicrous situation, frankly.

I will also be sending a snail mail complaint to your "Customer Service" department. 

Please note that all the customer facing employees in the branches and call centres cannot be faulted for their courtesy and professionalism. They have been undermined and let down by the faceless bureaucrats in Deposits, who lack the courage to explain their decisions to the people who ultimately pay their salaries. Customers.

On the afternoon of the 14th of December I now intend to close all my Bank of Ireland accounts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi Maxbaggi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here on boards.ie,

We are sorry to hear that you are considering closing your accounts due to this, if you would like to PM us your name, branch details and contact number we will certainly ensure this is looked into further for you.

Thanks
    Paula C

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maxbiaggi

Hi Maxbaggi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here on boards.ie,

We are sorry to hear that you are considering closing your accounts due to this, if you would like to PM us your name, branch details and contact number we will certainly ensure this is looked into further for you.

Thanks
    Paula C
    I have just tried to PM you. It says that you have chosen not to receive PMs.

Found the link to PM and PM sent with the details requested.

I have just had a phone call from Group Customer Complaints, who have used common sense and resolved my issue.

Thanks for your help.

My comment as to the difference in attitude to those who deal with customers, not being matched by those "behind the scenes", still stands, however.

It is disappointing that those personnel who actually talk to customers, are not given the authority to resolve issues without the customer escalating matters through the Customer Complaints process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi maxbiaggi

First allow us to apologise for the recent experience, we're delighted to hear contact has since been made and this has now been resolved for you. 

We certainly did understand the importance of your request to have the funds available prior to the evening on the 12th and hope this has now been managed to your satisfaction. 

We will also be forwarding on your concerns relating to the situation and really appreciate your kind feedback in your first post relating to branch staff and staff in our Contact Center. 

We'd like to wish you all the best in your new home and of course, if we can be of help in the future please do not hesitate to contact us here.

Thanks again
    Alison

• Advertisement
Advertisement